SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:57 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
960 Posts
Discussion
Microlicious!!

You have go to try this plane! I copied the designs from "gtrScotty's SIMPILICIOUS" (with his permission) over in the flying wings and scratchbuilt forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt.../php?t=1061920

Specs: Plantraco Micro 9rx,
2 mini actuators
Parkzone citabria gearbox and prop.
11" wingspan
AUW 15.7 gms

I had to tweek the designs a bit w/gtrScotty's help but its a keeper. cruises very good and fast!!! Just got through some frustrating maidens and was about to give up. Boy was I glad I didn't. It seems to handle the wind well when properly timmed. and promises to be very aerobatic, and that's w/a brushed gearbox. I regularly cruise the scratchbuilt/wings forums for Ideas and this is a great plane. Check out "gtrScotty's" thread for pdf. On micro brussless this thing would be ballistic .
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Last edited by MUTCAKE; Jun 26, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:06 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
960 Posts
sorry cant seem to get the right link, any way its the Simpilicious thread over in the scratchbuilt forum
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:51 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=SIMPILICIOUS
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:09 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
960 Posts
Thanks solo clipper
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:37 AM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
That's awsome MUTCAKE. I'm glad you did'nt give up! Even though it's not a exact scaled version, it was close enough that I thought it would have to fly fairly well. And to get that close from my crappy pics?-You da Man!
I thought I would mention a cuple of noteable differences from my design. I made the canopy start behind the CG to minimise the vertical area in front of it. Well, and to give it that Jag'ish sportscar look. Also the fuse starts right at the wing, with the prop in close, to minnamize gyroscopic forces and spiral slipstream affect.
Can you fit a rudder accuator in that little suker? I sure use the rudder alot with my Simplicious. I dont have any gear that small but I would love to see how an exact scaled copy of it would perform!
Great job and thanks for participating in this fun project!!
Scotty.
gtrScotty is offline Find More Posts by gtrScotty
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:51 AM
RC WANABEE
Bremerton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
320 Posts
(MUTCAKE AT WORK) I thought about getting the 4 channel plantraco rx to do just that! I do have a 4 channel servo rx that would do the job but will have to go brushless w/APO-3gm motor.
RC WANABEE is offline Find More Posts by RC WANABEE
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:56 AM
RC WANABEE
Bremerton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
320 Posts
(MUTCAKE AT WORK) I will try to post up some vids this weekend. I have a micro wing I wanted to post up but my daughter could not keep up with it in the air.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:59 AM
RC WANABEE
Bremerton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
320 Posts
gtrScotty, when I make the brushless version I will use the PDF you posted now that I have them. I can usually scratch out just about any thing from photos, but they don't all fly
(MUTCAKE AT WORK)
Keith
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
Very nice mutt. very nice
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
685 Posts
Very nice wing. Where is the cg so we dont give up. Do you put in a little up reflex?
Does it loop and roll. I would like to build one totally PZ from a Vapor. How did gtrScotty learn to fly? those are flight videos that show flying not just up and down andin circles. Is the wing a K\F or a skin just to give shape?
Sorry for the questions but wings are hard to sort out and fly right. I will build one for the 10g motor and one for the Vapor gear.
Thanks for the great plane. JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:39 AM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama
Very nice wing. Where is the cg so we dont give up. Do you put in a little up reflex?
Does it loop and roll. I would like to build one totally PZ from a Vapor. How did gtrScotty learn to fly? those are flight videos that show flying not just up and down andin circles. Is the wing a K\F or a skin just to give shape?
Sorry for the questions but wings are hard to sort out and fly right. I will build one for the 10g motor and one for the Vapor gear.
Thanks for the great plane. JCS
Thankyou and you're welcome!
Here's some layout stuff. After you have the bottom sheet cut, make two marks mesured from le at the fuse sides, one at 1-3/4"-bend location and at 3-1/2"-spar location. Then one at 1/4" from LE at the tip. Connect the dots.
The cg is 1/4" behind the spar. The reflex is 1.5-2mm at the tip when flat on the table. You may have to tape on a penny and move it around alittle depending on the gear used to get it perf.
Gotta go now, but I'll get deeper into it later. Never give up!!
Scotty
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:39 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
960 Posts
check out the link posted by solo clipper above #3 for info on gtrScotty's similicious. He's given all kinds of help to get this right. I have a park 250 that desparately needs a home from a micro hotliner I got bored with. My next plane will be the larger version w/4 channel. I'll post over there when I get it built.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:28 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
685 Posts
Scotty thanks for the info. I will get one built for the 5 g motor first. It will be from blue foam.
After watching your videos I had to maiden my own design so I did yesterday. It is sorta mugi design with flat foam wing and motor in front. it sorta looks like your design or the dixie delta but has 19" span.
It flew out of my hand straight with a slight climb. I flew it around and around and up and down, then said Im going to see what it will do. Got it up high and did some rolls and loops then tried rudder turn and it started spinning, I didnt know what to do so I just cut power and it spun all the ay down. It came slow like it was on a parachute and hit softly. I flew 4 more flights and didnttouch rudder but when trying to get a little agressive for some reason it always went into this sort of spin. This is what they must mean when they say it went into the dreaded death spiral.
Anyway thanks again for your plan I will get one built in the next couple of days and see if yours behaves differently. Cant wait till i get the vapor parts to build one like mutcakes. Thanks guys JCS
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:51 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
just wanted to repeat once more what I've stated in my threads, that the drawings I've submitted so far are not final and only represent my progress in getting my stuff into CAD format. I didn't know folks would jump on it so fast!
So....official plans and build log to come.
Last edited by gtrScotty; Jul 03, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 08:19 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
685 Posts
Scotty, I put little fins on the end of the wings and it doesnt do the spiral anymore. I built a 19" simplicious and will test it soon as the rain and wind stops. I built it with thr wing root shorter the length of the LE to the bend line. It understand how yoy did this now. It will be right on the next one.
Thanks again. JCS