HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
161 Posts
Discussion
charge current help BC6

Needed a new charger so was looking at the Imax B6 but after reading this forum decided to go for the Bantam B6.

All seems simple to use but I am not clear on a couple of things.

How many amps do I charge my lipos at?
I am using 1500mha 15c 3s packs. Someone told me that you cannot go over the amps of the packs. For example I would charge my packs at 1.5amps. And my 2400mha packs at 2.4 amps.

Also is it best to always balance charge lipos?

Thanks for any help
pudd is offline Find More Posts by pudd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudd
Needed a new charger so was looking at the Imax B6 but after reading this forum decided to go for the Bantam B6.

All seems simple to use but I am not clear on a couple of things.

How many amps do I charge my lipos at?
I am using 1500mha 15c 3s packs. Someone told me that you cannot go over the amps of the packs. For example I would charge my packs at 1.5amps. And my 2400mha packs at 2.4 amps.

Also is it best to always balance charge lipos?

Thanks for any help
Always go by the battery manufacturers spec's for the charge rate. Most are 1C, some are 2C and very few are 3C. So, a 1500 mah pack would be charged at 1.5 amps, 2500 mah pack at 2.5 amps.

The BC-6 with the built in balancer is so convienent to use, I recommend always balancing. So yes, use the balancer every time you charge.

RC Accessory, Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory
Always go by the battery manufacturers spec's for the charge rate. Most are 1C, some are 2C and very few are 3C. So, a 1500 mah pack would be charged at 1.5 amps, 2500 mah pack at 2.5 amps.

The BC-6 with the built in balancer is so convienent to use, I recommend always balancing. So yes, use the balancer every time you charge.

RC Accessory, Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer
Thanks for the reply guys

Just a few more questions

What should the chareged capacity be for a 1500mha pack ? Its the number at the bottom right hand side of the display when being charged. Should it be close to 1500 to let me know that the pack is fully charged ?

And finally if i had a pack rated a 2c could i charge this at twice the rate of a 1c.

Thanks for any help
pudd is offline Find More Posts by pudd
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys

Just a few more questions

What should the chareged capacity be for a 1500mha pack ? Its the number at the bottom right hand side of the display when being charged. Should it be close to 1500 to let me know that the pack is fully charged ?

And finally if i had a pack rated a 2c could i charge this at twice the rate of a 1c.

Thanks for any help
How much you put in depends on how much you used. If you put in more than 80% of the rated capacity, you are over discharging the pack.

You have a 50 watt limitation on the BC-6 charger. Volts x amps = watts. You may be able to set the charger for a 2C rate, but the charger will max out at 50 watts. Refer to the manual for the max charge rates per # of cells.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:45 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Quote:
if i had a pack rated a 2c could i charge this at twice the rate of a 1c.
Packs are usually labeled according to their *discharge* rate capabilities, not their *charge* rate capabilities. I don't think you'll find any packs labelled as "2C" these days, more likely you saw "20C" discharge capability. But you should still *charge* the pack at 1C. Some folks do charge at higher than 1C (maybe 2C or even more), with a balancer to carefully monitor the packs - so its not impossible. But its probably easier on your packs and safer to always remain at or below 1C during charging.

Quote:
The BC-6 will only charge a pack with as many mA∙h are required to fully charge it - which depends on the battery's state of discharge beforehand. So if your previous flying session only used 50% of the fully charged 1500 mA∙h pack's capacity, when you charge it again you should only see 50% of 1500 put back in - or roughly 750 mA∙h. You should always see the BC-6 feed fewer mA∙h after charging than the battery's full capacity. Like RCAccessory said, its best to dishcarge your lipos no more than 80% of the pack's full capacity to prolong the pack's life. So you'd like to see the charger add no more than 1200 mA∙h to your 1500 mA∙h packs when charging. If it does add more than 1200, adjust your flying to use up less of the pack's capacity or else you're damaging the pack.
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple