SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by zlite, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:14 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
192 Posts
Hi sorry for butting in here (somewhat out of the blue), but the civil engineering company which I work for in New Zealand is shortly looking at deploying a UAV (initially a DJI Phantom for 'proof of concept') for purposes of survey, landslide/cliff stability assessment, bridge peir inspections etc. Incidentally I have been doing some independent aerial photographywork for them over the last 6-7 years using a remote controlled Easystar.

While we have been working satisfactorily with CAA in New Zealand (for the time being), our company (a multi-national company) is also interested to utilise UAV/UAS technology in its other offices in Australia, UK and Canada. Can anyone point me in the right direction(s) regarding these countries latest regulations regarding UAV or UAS useage commercially? I understand all of the individual aviation authorities regulations are probably in a state of flux at the moment but any current links etc would be helpful, thanks Harry
harrys one is offline Find More Posts by harrys one
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:11 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
For the UK your operators will need a certificate to fly this is the best company http://uas.resourcegroup.co.uk/. The company will also need an operators licence issued by the CAA. Resource can handle that application as well. Look for CAP 722 for the regs to comply with. CASA in Australia has a similar scheme I will let somebody from there jump in.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Aug 21, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:20 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
192 Posts
Thanks Gary, I'll pass this on.
harrys one is offline Find More Posts by harrys one
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,840 Posts
Transport Canada has an SFOC
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
252 Posts
Just wanted to share an experience I had about 10 minutes ago with my city's Director of Public Works. I live in DeKalb IL (famous for a mass shooting at N.I.U.) for about 40 years. I've been flying RC in DeKalb for about 30 years and I'm a 20 year private pilot. I've been doing a lot of aerial photography with a quadcopter and a 3 axis gimbal with a Gopro 3. Every year Dekalb has an annual Corn Festival (DeKalb Agriculture's logo is an ear of corn with wings) so I though I would see if I could get permission from the city and the local uncontrolled airport (within 3 miles). The first lady I spoke to was very nice and told me the Corn Fest committee had already purchased a drone and the FAA and the city said it couldn't be flown. I suspected they didn't know that it couldn't be flown commercially and that is why the FAA denied them and thus the city too. I explained to her that I'm a private citizen that just wants to do a few charity shots for free. I also explained all the FAA guidelines and emphasized safety and that I would not fly directly over people. I would have a spotter, monitor COM radio, inform the airport, always have direct line of sight, stay below 400ft AGL amd not use autopilot of any kind.
About 5 minutes later I get a call from the Director of Public Works. I started to explain what I wanted permission for and he just kept repeating "it has to be three miles from the airport". He started to sound annoyed, so I told him it's no different than flying a model airplane in the park. Then he says that he has called the police and the FAA before on someone flying an RC plane near the uncontrolled airport. I asked him if there was a conviction, but he didn't like that. Then I said "what would happen to someone who flew an RC helicopter in the park during cornfest?". He said "They would immediately be arrest and the model (inaudible) and the FAA would be called!". I told him since the entire city of DeKalb is within 3 miles of the airport that means, by his rules, no one can fly a model aircraft without threat of arrest. He agreed. So that was my first attempt at trying to get into aerial photography by asking permission. What the heck did I do wrong? I actually feel threatened now that I have been outed as a 'drone operator' in my own town. What the heck is that?
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Aug 26, 2014, 06:32 PM
Australia, QLD, Great Sandy Strait
Joined Jan 2011
33 Posts
LW,
As a photographer (ground) I find whenever I ask permission to photograph people going about their daily business (shopping centres, parks etc) or actively enjoying a 'public event', I typically get a "no" or "no thanks". So I don't ask, because I know I have a job to do with permission. People and bureaucracy.... afraid of the unknown, sticklers for red tape. It's just easier for them to say no. I recently asked to video off school grounds and from a distance, kids walking out of a school gate for a project we were doing.... "no - you'll have to arrange it with the principal".
CrayonBox is online now Find More Posts by CrayonBox
Last edited by CrayonBox; Aug 26, 2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:43 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,090 Posts
Tie a piece of fishing line to it.
Now it's tethered, and 100% legal to fly anywhere, and no one can ever tell you no.
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
Tie a piece of fishing line to it.
Now it's tethered, and 100% legal to fly anywhere, and no one can ever tell you no.
Dude, that is hilarious! I already have a friend that volunteered his business parking lot which is in a perfect spot to film the festival.
Funny because my wife asked me if they would consider a kite a drone.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Aug 27, 2014, 04:57 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
Its also 100% bogus but you kids carry on. Tethered kites and balloons have SFARs and if you comply (become legal) your quad will never lift its payload.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Its also 100% bogus but you kids carry on. Tethered kites and balloons have SFARs and if you comply (become legal) your quad will never lift its payload.
*sigh*

http://www.fotokite.com/
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:07 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
*sigh* rubbish. Go ask the FAA

They will ask...

Can is sustain flight under its own power

Is it controlled in three axis (yes the computer does it)

What cut down device does it use.

The photokite is very cool but not the magic solution you are looking for.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,090 Posts
Fly a drone bound to a retention cable - Tested :
Fly a drone bound to a retention cable - Tested in "Stabilize" mode (APM Copter V3.2) (3 min 9 sec)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:45 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
Great its still not legal in the USA.

Is it sustaining flight under its own power...........
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Great its still not legal in the USA.

Is it sustaining flight under its own power...........

If the battery were on the ground than it really would not be flying under it's own power. Since it's attached to the ground it would not be under FAA jurisdiction. It would be the same as a cell tower or a tall building.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man