HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:26 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,560 Posts
Question
Is there any support for a build-off starting October 1st for the Northern winter?

Whilst the present "Complete a Project" build off has almost five months still to run, and has so far produced 10 completed models (with hopefully a few more to come) I cannot help but feel it has not really had the appeal of the previous four build offs I have been happy to administer on the vintage forum over the last three years. These resulted in 62 completed models of exceptional standard, and whilst some of these would obviously have been built anyway, I think perhaps the majority were created because of the build offs (certainly mine were).

So.....looking forward a couple of months the "building season" in the northern hemisphere will be upon us and I have been wondering if we should have another build off starting on October 1st - and if so, what should be the qualifying criteria.

Some of the possibilities which have been floated in the past are for "unconventional" models, for models from a particular kit range or designer, even for a particular single design etc. These all have plus and minus points, but looking back at the previous build offs, the one which produced the most interest, the most entries and the most completed models (22) was the "Britplan" for models published in any of the UK commercial magazines before 31/12/1965.

On the basis of this, my own proposal would be for a build off for models published in any of the COMMERCIAL magazines in the U.S.A before the same date - 31/12/1965 (making them at least fifty years old) - "The Amplan Build Off". Other criteria - changes to type of power (e.g. IC or rubber to electric), type of flying (e.g. F/F or C/L to radio or vice versa), scaling up or down to be allowed as in the previous build offs. One thing I would say is that I am strongly in favour of a six month rather than a twelve month duration event (probably because I am getting old and fear running out of time!).

There would be a vast range of available models which would qualify, there must be hundreds if not thousands of plans on the Outerzone alone, so surely finding something to excite anyone's interest should be easy.

However, I am just the bloke who would administer the thing, not a dictator (although my wife might take issue with that!) and I just want to have a build off that people want and thereby encourage the production of lots more lovely models. So, can we have views for and against the idea, counter proposals for the "subject" or anything else relevant over the next month or so.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:23 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,743 Posts
Well, got all the electrics available for a build, so I'm in

Your idea is great! I still like the single design idea though, purely because it would be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

6 months is just right
Al
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:54 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,524 Posts
I agree with everything above. The only problem with a single design would be finding one design that appeals to enough people.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2014, 12:54 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
792 Posts
it just so happens I have an American plan on my todo list and in what passes for my workshop- so I am in

I would also have been in for unconventional or for scale - just in case minds get changed - or is that just women's perogative??

john

ps the plan is from an early American kit - which I presume is acceptable
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Aug 03, 2014, 02:10 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,560 Posts
Thanks Al, Brian, John for the responses.

Yes Al, a "one design" build off does have appeal, but it is a question of "you can't please all of the people....etc". We would get as many different suggestions for which model to select as there are entrants I reckon and it would require the judgement of Solomon to pick one that would inspire enough people to actually build it.

John; yes that would be OK with me, just as long as it is American.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:13 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,743 Posts
Was "Air Trails" American? For a single plane build off how would the Super 60 work? They fly beautifully, there are kits available, look easy enough to work as a first build. Could be built rudder only or full house controls- could maybe tempt people who don't fly vintage planes into the fold?

But I like "Old Square Sides" from Air trails....

Al
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:46 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,560 Posts
Yes Al, "Air Trails" was American. The problem with the Super Sixty would be that half the prospective entrants probably already have one! Or, at least had one in the past, I know I did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2014, 06:58 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,527 Posts
Like the Yankplan (oops sorry Amplan ) idea and should be able to find something to suit. Given the weather here today I think the winter building season has already started

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Aug 03, 2014, 08:06 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
603 Posts
I like the Amplan idea,
I have about a dozen old USA sparkles I have been meaning to get one in the air for ages.
This might be the nudge I need.
(Although of course I really should be getting on with non-Aeromodelling projects).

Hmm,
Playboy /McCoy
Red Zephyr/Brown Jr
Something loud with a Contestor or a Super Cyclone.
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:15 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
657 Posts
Don't know if I can start in October with a new model, the Eaglet still needs me...

But I've got an entry if I can swing it...

Another Shereshaw design.
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:58 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Like the Yankplan (oops sorry Amplan ) idea and should be able to find something to suit. Given the weather here today I think the winter building season has already started

Ray
I did think of saying "Yankeeplan" at first Ray, but decided not as I wouldn't want to alienate any potential entries from the south!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2014, 01:00 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,560 Posts
Like the sound of any of those Warren. Sorry this would be in your summer, but you KNOW you need another model!!

Yes cp, we need to get the Eaglet finished. But how about something small and simple this time - a "quickie" in fact?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2014, 01:34 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I did think of saying "Yankeeplan" at first Ray, but decided not as I wouldn't want to alienate any potential entries from the south!
Ha! Makes me think that if we included Dick Twomey's designs, we could have an Irish build-off...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2014, 05:18 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
412 Posts
I would like to join with Lucky-13.. If its of US origen? (looking at the build article there's adds with pricing in $, so hopefully she is...)

George
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Aug 04, 2014, 07:53 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy View Post
I would like to join with Lucky-13.. If its of US origen? (looking at the build article there's adds with pricing in $, so hopefully she is...)

George
Hi George

Lucky-13 is a new one on me, the only "Lucky" I can find on Outerzone is a Japanese flying boat? Any chance of posting a scan of the build article and I'm sure we can then track it down.

(Note to RFJ; is this one you know Ray?)
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread