HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2014, 01:23 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
Help!
Just pulled the trigger on a Tamiya M26 Pershing

AS the title says, I just purchased a Tamiya M26 Pershing, Futaba 4YF-FM, and Tamiya TS olive drab, TS dark green, TS flat black. (all from Towerhobbies except the radio I found cheaper on amazon)

This will be my first tank build and I was wondering if I am forgetting anything? Any advice on building it? tips? and what not.

I have been building RC's for quite some time and I have the Tamiya 1850L Mercedes Truck on my shelf and assume in difficulty they are about the same? I used the Bendini sound unit on my 1850L

I do have one question! Do they make metal tracks for this tank? and are they even needed? how well do the rubber/plastic tracks hold up?

I do have a Futaba 4YF 2.4ghz radio and assume it wont work with the MFU?

Thanks!
MoonBlink is offline Find More Posts by MoonBlink
Last edited by MoonBlink; May 01, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 01:55 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
No metal tracks are "needed" but they do offer them in different versions for the M26. The stock tracks are perfect and are used even at the Danville battles.

The Futaba 4YF 2.4ghz works fine with the Tamiya gear.

Do not allow ANY color of Locktite to come in contact with the plastic/styrene. DO use the included ceramic grease as it is plastic safe. FOLLOW the directions carefully.

If you are experienced with RC then put your Pershing build on a wire diet because space is very tight inside.

Have an assortment of glues handy. Like a liquid cement for most of the styrene, 5 minute epoxy and some CA with a kicker helps in certain areas.

I'm sure I have forgotten SOMETHING but my fellow Tamiya tankers will back me up here.

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old May 01, 2014, 02:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
No metal tracks are "needed" but they do offer them in different versions for the M26. The stock tracks are perfect and are used even at the Danville battles.

The Futaba 4YF 2.4ghz works fine with the Tamiya gear.

Do not allow ANY color of Locktite to come in contact with the plastic/styrene. DO use the included ceramic grease as it is plastic safe. FOLLOW the directions carefully.

If you are experienced with RC then put your Pershing build on a wire diet because space is very tight inside.

Have an assortment of glues handy. Like a liquid cement for most of the styrene, 5 minute epoxy and some CA with a kicker helps in certain areas.

I'm sure I have forgotten SOMETHING but my fellow Tamiya tankers will back me up here.

Jeff
Thanks! I have 5 minute epoxy and some CA glue as well as E6000

I plan on using the stock electronics (tower says it comes with sound unit)

If the Futaba 4YF 2.4ghz works then I will just send back the FM radio I ordered and save $100.00. I am using the shifting gate for my 1850L so another radio might not be a bad idea but I hate using crystals and having a ugly antenna sticking out of my tank.
Old May 01, 2014, 03:08 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
That's just about what everyone is using at Danville is the 2.4ghz.

AND, no external antenna needed on a Tamiya tank!

Yeah... and the sound package is outstanding. Just remember to learn all about the rev feature.

Jeff
Old May 01, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
That's just about what everyone is using at Danville is the 2.4ghz.

AND, no external antenna needed on a Tamiya tank!

Yeah... and the sound package is outstanding. Just remember to learn all about the rev feature.

Jeff
Rev feature!? Tell me more! and where in Danville ? I live in the Bay Area so it would be fun to get together with other tankers!

Quote:
When receiver is switched on, the engine starter sound can be heard followed by high revving sound. At this moment, you can make the engine rev by moving the control stick. Tank will not move when revving function is engaged. You will have to release this mode to run the tank. The revving mode operates when you switch on the T-06 switch first.
Last edited by MoonBlink; May 01, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 01, 2014, 04:09 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Yep... that's pretty much it.

Practice will help.

Here's my A1:

And here it is with my other A1:

Jeff
Last edited by Panther F; May 01, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 01, 2014, 06:12 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
997 Posts
Danville is in Va. and is the AAF Museum. It has the largest indoor battlefield in the US. Come and join us sometime. Our next battle weekend is the 16th through the 18th of this month.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old May 02, 2014, 09:32 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
There are clubs here in California. 2 to be exact, and one in Phoenix, Arizona. All meet regularly and battle their Tamiya compatible IR tanks.

Kelley's Heroes in the Bay Area, L.A. Tanks in Los Angeles (at the AMM tank museum in South El Monte), and DAK in Phoenix.

L.A. Tanks is having a pretty large battleday on June 1, 2014. Should be 30 or so tankers there. Consider yourself invited!

If you come to a battle, you'll see what gear everyone is running.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old May 05, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff489 View Post
There are clubs here in California. 2 to be exact, and one in Phoenix, Arizona. All meet regularly and battle their Tamiya compatible IR tanks.

Kelley's Heroes in the Bay Area, L.A. Tanks in Los Angeles (at the AMM tank museum in South El Monte), and DAK in Phoenix.

L.A. Tanks is having a pretty large battleday on June 1, 2014. Should be 30 or so tankers there. Consider yourself invited!

If you come to a battle, you'll see what gear everyone is running.
Thanks! That's a bit far for me to drive since I live near San Francisco.
Old May 05, 2014, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
My Tank arrived Friday late afternoon and I started building! I have a few minor problems along the way but the build went smoothly and fairly fast since this was my first tank build.

I did have a issue with getting the tracks on and after staring at it for 30 minutes realized the front wheel needed to be rotated down so the top of the tank fits and the tracks also fit properly. After that everything else was easy.

I finished the build late Sunday night and what a build! Man that took forever! 3 days (about 28 hours total build time)

I plan on touching up the paint here and there and building the ammo boxes and Jerry cans. I also need to paint the figure but other than that it's done.

I am using a 2s lipo 2200mah battery and it fits well inside the tank. I changed out the Tamiya plug for a Deans plug and added a audible lipo low voltage alarm inside the tank. All my RC's run of lipo's and I can't ever imagine going back to NIMH's

Here are some picture that I took as I was building it. I'll get some better shots in the sun soon as well as some video. I apologize for the poor cell phone pictures.

I love Tamiya Box's

Look at that Box Art!

Corporal Socks the Cat inspecting the packaging

The build starts! (not pictured is the pre painting I did. Tamiya TS 28 Olive Drab

Got the track wheels on notice I have the front wheels on wrong! Took me ages to figure that out.

Sergeant Winters the Cat taking a nap.

Backing brace

Motors and gears installed.

Tracks on wrong! I figured out I needed to rotate the front wheel down after ages of banging my head.

Electronics installed! No room for all of these wires!

Top of tank installed. What a mess of wires!

Trying to clean up the wires

Sergeant Winters on Patrol!

Turret on! I reinforced the turret with epoxy

Dreaded white stuff from using CA glue. I quickly switched to E6000 glue and will retouch with paint.

Lights working! check!

Rear light working! check!

Starting to look like a tank!

Done!

Done!

I went with my own decal theme and do not care if it's historically correct or not and added a flex antenna to the rear. Works like a champ and I am happy with the kit, build, and how it turned out.
Last edited by MoonBlink; May 05, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 09, 2014, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
Got my good camera out and got some decent pictures of my tank. I added the ammo boxes and Jerry cans to the tank as well as some weathering.

I am waiting for other scale bits to come that are in the mail.

Old May 13, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
Got some mail from over the pond! Scale tools! and two buckets! Shovel, Hammer, Ax, Pick Ax (did not come with a shaft for some reason so I fashioned my own) and two buckets!

Cell phone pictures so apologizes in advance.

Old May 18, 2014, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
107 Posts
Looks great! Now you just need to get it in some dirt for natural weathering. LOL
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
I got my Sherman Tank crew from Sol models in Korea. and the detail is great! I painted them using acrylics and made the cigar out of a round toothpick. I think I have done all I can do on this tank. The metal tools are a nice touch and the hanging buckets with USA logo on them also add to it. I might add some sand bags at some point but I don't want to over do it and make the tank look busy.

Old Jun 04, 2014, 12:08 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,204 Posts
Quick question. Why is a US Army armor insignia on the front fender of a Marine Corps tank? Other than that it looks good.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus