HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
Discussion
E-flite PT-19 450 ARF problems need help

E-flite PT-19 450 ARF I have this plane and I found that the covering is kind of loose ,even after reheating it to tighten it ,it became loose again , and I had to add some nose weight to get the cg right , and for some reason ,this plane wont wright itself for all the dihedral it has , they discontinued it ,do you think it had some design flaws in it ?
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:26 AM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhondas View Post
E-flite PT-19 450 ARF I have this plane and I found that the covering is kind of loose ,even after reheating it to tighten it ,it became loose again , and I had to add some nose weight to get the cg right , and for some reason ,this plane wont wright itself for all the dihedral it has , they discontinued it ,do you think it had some design flaws in it ?
Here's my experience.Had mine set up with a park 480 clone,HS-55 servos.Flew okay,but not as I would have expected for a PT-19.Don't get me wrong,it did fly fine,but to me it seemed like it had a heavy wing loading.Just to give you a bit of background,I have been flying R/C since the mid seventies.Now on my third flight,I had a receiver brown out.My PT-19 went into an uncommanded roll that put it straight into the tarmac.Took out the motor,cowl,and motor box.I do have to say that it's tuff.Traced it to a bad speed control,and not the airframes fault. So now it sits on the back shelf until I feel like getting back to it.I need a cowl and to build up my own motor box since they don't offer that part.By the way,I too had to add nose weight to get a proper CG.I was using 2200mAh 3s batts.I'll eventually get back to this model and build a new nose,because I think it's worth it,but there are better flyers out there.One thing I will say.It looks great in the air in those yellow and blue trainer colors.For appearance.I'd rate it a solid 9,for overall fly ability,I'd say a 6 to 7.Based on my limited experience with it.
bouncebk2003 is online now Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:06 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,600 Posts
Wow,

I like my PT 19 so much that I bought two spare kits plus spare hatches, cowls, and landing gear for all of them. No problems with balance on a 3S 2200 packs. I've used both the Park 450 and 480. I like the 450 better and mine flys great.

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:05 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
pt 19 wing loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003 View Post
Here's my experience.Had mine set up with a park 480 clone,HS-55 servos.Flew okay,but not as I would have expected for a PT-19.Don't get me wrong,it did fly fine,but to me it seemed like it had a heavy wing loading.Just to give you a bit of background,I have been flying R/C since the mid seventies.Now on my third flight,I had a receiver brown out.My PT-19 went into an uncommanded roll that put it straight into the tarmac.Took out the motor,cowl,and motor box.I do have to say that it's tuff.Traced it to a bad speed control,and not the airframes fault. So now it sits on the back shelf until I feel like getting back to it.I need a cowl and to build up my own motor box since they don't offer that part.By the way,I too had to add nose weight to get a proper CG.I was using 2200mAh 3s batts.I'll eventually get back to this model and build a new nose,because I think it's worth it,but there are better flyers out there.One thing I will say.It looks great in the air in those yellow and blue trainer colors.For appearance.I'd rate it a solid 9,for overall fly ability,I'd say a 6 to 7.Based on my limited experience with it.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Thank you for the advice and because of the heavy wing loading do you think a larger prop would help a 12x6?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:16 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
pt 19 control line or rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Wow,

I like my PT 19 so much that I bought two spare kits plus spare hatches, cowls, and landing gear for all of them. No problems with balance on a 3S 2200 packs. I've used both the Park 450 and 480. I like the 450 better and mine flys great.

Mickydee
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
is your s set up as a pt 19 control line or RC because as a RC its just not right in the air ,it yaws, its twitchy on turns ,I never had a plane this bad except one I made as a scratch built ? maybe a 12x6 prop larger would prop wash better ,I don't know .
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,600 Posts
Hi,

Mine is R/C. The only thing I can think of is you just got a lemon kit.

Good luck.
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:15 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
bad kit pt 19 e flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi,

Mine is R/C. The only thing I can think of is you just got a lemon kit.

Good luck.
################################################## ##############
````````````
I think your right its a lemon and I noticed on the videos that they all had to add nose weight and a tip stall on a yawing turn then wing waggle on the downward flight to landings
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
HI Rhondas,
I can see the nose weight idea in some cases as I found mine flies much better with my large 3S 4200 and 4000 packs. It does have some quirks in that it seems to need opposite rudder if doing an aileron only turn to keep the nose up but responds much better with coordinated turns with rudder input.

There have also been issues with the rudder and elevator having some binding which will make the plane seem twitcy as there is a delay and snap from those inputs.
I did not correct the elevator bind enough for the E Flite 75 servo and she went in. After repair and freeing up things, I now use an HS 82 MG for the elevator.

This is my favorite all around plane and does everything great from T & Go's to Cuban 8s.
Oh, one thing you can try is to add some aileron reflex say about 2mm. I did that for the heck of it and this really made her slow speed flying and landings smooth.

I fly her with the E Flite 480 and currently an 11x8.5 APC prop for more speed.

Hope you get her squared away.
John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:50 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
p-19 reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc View Post
HI Rhondas,
I can see the nose weight idea in some cases as I found mine flies much better with my large 3S 4200 and 4000 packs. It does have some quirks in that it seems to need opposite rudder if doing an aileron only turn to keep the nose up but responds much better with coordinated turns with rudder input.

There have also been issues with the rudder and elevator having some binding which will make the plane seem twitcy as there is a delay and snap from those inputs.
I did not correct the elevator bind enough for the E Flite 75 servo and she went in. After repair and freeing up things, I now use an HS 82 MG for the elevator.

This is my favorite all around plane and does everything great from T & Go's to Cuban 8s.
Oh, one thing you can try is to add some aileron reflex say about 2mm. I did that for the heck of it and this really made her slow speed flying and landings smooth.

John
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
did you add up ward reflex that's what the term "reflex" stands for. It indicates adjusting both ailerons upward by the same amount.
Old May 18, 2014, 05:20 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rc View Post
HI Rhondas,

John
Hi John

I'm resurrecting this thread, rather than starting a new one, as your comments are interesting and the model is no longer available.

I've got my PT-19 ready to maiden and, like you, noted that there was some binding on the elevator linkage. I rebent the pushrod to ease this, but it's still a bit stiffer than I would like, wheras the rudder is perfectly smooth. I'm using SG50 servos and did toy with the idea of using an HS81MG on elevator, just to give it a bit more oomph.

I picked up a couple of new 2200mah 3s1p Turnigy packs for this model, but they seem awfully small and your comment on the model flying better with a larger pack is worth a try - as are the comments about adding a touch of reflex on the ailerons. I've also fitted the 480 motor, and the 250w available with an 11x7 APC-E seems to be more than adequate for good performance.

There's a cautionary note in the box, warning of brown-out due to the BEC being inadequate for 4xmicroservs. I took that to be referring to the recommended E-flite unit, but your post has me thinking that it might be worth fitting an external U-BEC. It would be a shame to break the model for the sake of a bit of extra complexity, especially since they are no longer available.. The Hobbywing ESC that I'm using has a switch mode BEC, but might be better to go belt and braces.

The only criticism of the quality of the kit that I have is (other than the stiff elevator linkage) is the very flimsy and shiny plastic on the cockpit hatch cover, the first couple of screws that I fitted the pilots with pulled right through the plastic with only minimal effort and had to be re-sited.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 18, 2014, 08:18 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
unstable kit p19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Hi John

I'm resurrecting this thread, rather than starting a new one, as your comments are interesting and the model is no longer available.

I've got my PT-19 ready to maiden and, like you, noted that there was some binding on the elevator linkage. I rebent the pushrod to ease this, but it's still a bit stiffer than I would like, wheras the rudder is perfectly smooth. I'm using SG50 servos and did toy with the idea of using an HS81MG on elevator, just to give it a bit more oomph.

I picked up a couple of new 2200mah 3s1p Turnigy packs for this model, but they seem awfully small and your comment on the model flying better with a larger pack is worth a try - as are the comments about adding a touch of reflex on the ailerons. I've also fitted the 480 motor, and the 250w available with an 11x7 APC-E seems to be more than adequate for good performance.

There's a cautionary note in the box, warning of brown-out due to the BEC being inadequate for 4xmicroservs. I took that to be referring to the recommended E-flite unit, but your post has me thinking that it might be worth fitting an external U-BEC. It would be a shame to break the model for the sake of a bit of extra complexity, especially since they are no longer available.. The Hobbywing ESC that I'm using has a switch mode BEC, but might be better to go belt and braces.

The only criticism of the quality of the kit that I have is (other than the stiff elevator linkage) is the very flimsy and shiny plastic on the cockpit hatch cover, the first couple of screws that I fitted the pilots with pulled right through the plastic with only minimal effort and had to be re-sited.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I have found that a little prop down thrust helped the plane a lot . and I used an APC 11X5 prop with the 480 motor and a 3s 2200 mah pack and now its much better ,not do twitchy and unstable like it was , Iwouldnt recomend thisplane to any friend
Old May 18, 2014, 09:13 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,630 Posts
Fwiw -

A plane that shows problems as described here is a candidate for some critical tinkering.

I'm dubious of a lot of the balsa built up planes because of the general tendency of the makers to make a plank airfoil of the tail parts.

I think they tend to make the models more twitchy. A fully airfoiled stab/elevator would be something I'd try to calm this otherwise fine little airplane.

Those parts could be made from foam or balsa as the owner might choose. It would be a tender introduction to scratch building as well. My foam airplanes seem to have little of the twitchiness associated with this size airframe due, I'm thinking, to the more stable full airfoil. One could also do the fin/rudder to go for the same goal.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old May 18, 2014, 10:55 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
full air foiled rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Fwiw -

A plane that shows problems as described here is a candidate for some critical tinkering.

I'm dubious of a lot of the balsa built up planes because of the general tendency of the makers to make a plank airfoil of the tail parts.

I think they tend to make the models more twitchy. A fully airfoiled stab/elevator would be something I'd try to calm this otherwise fine little airplane.

Those parts could be made from foam or balsa as the owner might choose. It would be a tender introduction to scratch building as well. My foam airplanes seem to have little of the twitchiness associated with this size airframe due, I'm thinking, to the more stable full airfoil. One could also do the fin/rudder to go for the same goal.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

you know I never thought of that-but its true all the kits have a flat tail and elevator ,,
Old May 25, 2014, 02:27 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,578 Posts
Well, I enjoyed a successful, drama-free, maiden flight of the PT-19 yesterday, at the end of a lovely day's flying. In the end I did opt to fit a sepate BEC (probably overkill but better safe than sorry) and also opted for a new, slightly heavier 3s1p 2700mah Tipple Lipo to get the CG spot on.

The single flight that I had was, like I said, drama-free - the model is a bit slippier and faster than I'd expected, and I definitely didn't explore the slow speed handling - just getting a slight impression that she needs a bit of that speed. No shortage of power, straight tracking on the ground off short grass, nicely responsive rudder giving well balanced turns and the colour scheme is a joy for visibility. Nice stable ship on landing as well, so very happy with the model overall

Just have to see about getting some flying shots now.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer