HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:04 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Discussion
Fuel shipping question

I have several Cox Starting Kits which include a half pint of fuel. I'd like to put them on ebay with some other items I'm selling but I've been having trouble determining what the legality of shipping fuel via USPS. I even asked at the local post office this morning while shipping out some other items and they weren't really sure either. Any ideas?


Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:15 AM
The Prez....... again
kenh3497's Avatar
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,947 Posts
DO NOT QUOTE ME...

It seems like on sites like Tower Hobbies, quarts of fuel have no extra charge for shipping. Gallons and above charge the "hazardous" fee.

If this is true, then you Cox items should be OK.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:35 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
DO NOT QUOTE ME...

It seems like on sites like Tower Hobbies, quarts of fuel have no extra charge for shipping. Gallons and above charge the "hazardous" fee.

If this is true, then you Cox items should be OK.

Ken
That's what I'm thinking but I want to make sure before I list them. I do know that they would have to be shipped surface.

A few years ago someone had some starting kits listed on ebay that included fuel and they were shipping just the empty cans because THEY said it couldn't be shipped. Maybe they just wanted to keep the fuel?



Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:11 AM
Registered User
sweatybetty's Avatar
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm?showtab=2


Can You Ship It?


Make sure your mail gets delivered quickly and efficiently. Learn about USPS safety restrictions and mailing guidelines.

open inline sectionRestrictions
open inline sectionHAZMAT, active
open inline sectionSize
open inline sectionSpecial Handling

Many household items can’t go in the mail.
Hazardous materials come in a wide variety of forms and can be chemical, biological, radioactive, or a combination.

The Postal Service's™ definition of a hazardous material includes many common household and consumer products. They may not be dangerous on your shelf at home, but they can become a hazard when shaken or when the temperature or pressure changes.

Some common hazardous materials include…

Perfumes
Nail polish
Flea collars or flea sprays
Aerosols
Bleach
Pool chemicals
Paints
Matches
Batteries
Fuels or gasoline
Airbags
Dry ice
Mercury thermometers
Cleaning supplies
Items previously containing fuel
Glues
Fireworks

Not sure if what you’re sending is hazardous or prohibited?

Just call 1-800-ASK-USPS or your local Post Office.
sweatybetty is offline Find More Posts by sweatybetty
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:34 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatybetty View Post
https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm?showtab=2


Can You Ship It?


Make sure your mail gets delivered quickly and efficiently. Learn about USPS safety restrictions and mailing guidelines.

open inline sectionRestrictions
open inline sectionHAZMAT, active
open inline sectionSize
open inline sectionSpecial Handling

Many household items can’t go in the mail.
Hazardous materials come in a wide variety of forms and can be chemical, biological, radioactive, or a combination.

The Postal Service's™ definition of a hazardous material includes many common household and consumer products. They may not be dangerous on your shelf at home, but they can become a hazard when shaken or when the temperature or pressure changes.

Some common hazardous materials include…

Perfumes
Nail polish
Flea collars or flea sprays
Aerosols
Bleach
Pool chemicals
Paints
Matches
Batteries
Fuels or gasoline
Airbags
Dry ice
Mercury thermometers
Cleaning supplies
Items previously containing fuel
Glues
Fireworks

Not sure if what you’re sending is hazardous or prohibited?

Just call 1-800-ASK-USPS or your local Post Office.
I've already been on their site and it hasn't helped me figure out if model fuel is allowed or not. And as I already said, I've been to the local post office and they can't tell me either. From what I was able to find out online I need to find out what the flash point of the fuel is as that will determine whether it's allowed or not. Maybe a hobby shop can help with that.


Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:09 PM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,219 Posts
just don't ever use that explosive sounding "n" word in any of your inquiries...
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post
just don't ever use that explosive sounding "n" word in any of your inquiries...
And I didn't when talked to the lady at the post office yesterday. When she asked about what I wanting to ship I said it's an alcohol based substance and intentionally left out the nitro part. Most people wouldn't distinguish between nitro methane and nitro glycerin.


Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
The Prez....... again
kenh3497's Avatar
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,947 Posts
Hope this helps a bit


From this web site.... http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm


Physical State: Liquid
Appearance: clear, colorless
Odor: alcohol-like - weak odor
pH: Not available.
Vapor Pressure: 128 mm Hg @ 20 deg C
Vapor Density: 1.11 (Air=1)
Evaporation Rate:5.2 (Ether=1)
Viscosity: 0.55 cP 20 deg C
Boiling Point: 64.7 deg C @ 760.00mm Hg
Freezing/Melting Point:-98 deg C
Autoignition Temperature: 464 deg C ( 867.20 deg F)
Flash Point: 11 deg C ( 51.80 deg F)
Decomposition Temperature:Not available.
NFPA Rating: (estimated) Health: 1; Flammability: 3; Reactivity: 0
Explosion Limits, Lower:6.0 vol %
Upper: 36.00 vol %
Solubility: miscible
Specific Gravity/Density:.7910g/cm3
Molecular Formula:CH4O
Molecular Weight:32.04
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:34 AM
-insert witty saying here-
Hemikiller's Avatar
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatybetty View Post
https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm?showtab=2


Can You Ship It?

Some common hazardous materials include…

Perfumes
Nail polish
Flea collars or flea sprays
Aerosols
Bleach
Pool chemicals
Paints
Matches
Batteries
Fuels or gasoline
Airbags
Dry ice
Mercury thermometers
Cleaning supplies
Items previously containing fuel
Glues
Fireworks

Not sure if what you’re sending is hazardous or prohibited?

Just call 1-800-ASK-USPS or your local Post Office
.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
I've already been on their site and it hasn't helped me figure out if model fuel is allowed or not. And as I already said, I've been to the local post office and they can't tell me either. From what I was able to find out online I need to find out what the flash point of the fuel is as that will determine whether it's allowed or not. Maybe a hobby shop can help with that.


Mike

"Fuels or gasoline" seems pretty self explanatory to me. You should call the 800 number and see what they have to say.


-
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold NIke Fuel Band $110 Shipped Priority jaysoni Non R/C Items (FS/W) 0 Jan 26, 2013 05:00 PM
Sold New Never Fueled Thunder Tiger 91 FS Four Stroke Nice! $115.00 FREE SHIPPED!!! stevster Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 2 Jan 19, 2013 08:50 PM
Question Fuel tank set up question scottieusa Fuel Plane Talk 6 Jan 15, 2013 12:30 PM
Sold Miracle Double Switch with Fuel Dot for gasoline or glow fuel New in package Green Fuel Boy Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Jan 10, 2013 02:35 PM
Sold Really nice, unfinished fuel/airplane caddy $75 shipped USPS ground CONUS be69ar Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Jan 09, 2013 09:19 PM