Size: 276.8 KB
Description:
Sarboy is offline Find More Posts by Sarboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:00 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,198 Posts
Looks like you're using dsm44s in there. I recommend using a control horns about 2.25 times the length of the servo arm. Much shorter and you'll have issues with slop and flutter. Much longer and you won't get much flap throw. Just FYI.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Control horn is about 2 x servo horn. I'll see how they go. They were cheap and had decent enough specs. This has had to be a bit cheap and cherful. Lots of learning going on. Was going to have most of it finished today but my little boy is sick and I'm now looking after him. Lots of fun in a son and daddy day!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,198 Posts
Yep. They're cheap little servos, but I like them. I used them in the wings of my first build (bottom drive) and they had very little slop that grew to a lot of slop after hundreds of fluttering launches (ailerons were about as stiff as wet noodles). I then went a year without buying any more before deciding to give them another go, this time as an elevator servo with a pull/spring setup. I found it to have good resolution and perfect centering with the slop being pulled out by the spring. I was pretty short on cash when equipping my last build so I tried them for a top drive setup and so far I'm very happy. I drilled a new hole in the arms 4.5mm from the center and made the hole in the control horns 10mm above the hingeline. I get no discernible slop and it takes my hardest launches without a hint of flutter. I get about 10 degrees up travel and 35-degrees flap, which is enough. I'm liking these servos more and more. They still aren't my first choice for ailerons (something more robust with more torque like DS09s would be preferred), but they provide a decent budget option if done right. I just wouldn't go any less than 2x larger on the control horn for ailerons.

B
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Wings have had a carbon strip over the join. After a bit of reading I decided to use a strip on a bias cut. There were a couple of reasons.

From what I read there was very little difference in strengthen, both in torsion and compression. I think I read this is due to a 45/45 having longer fibres over the join to compensate to not having 0/90 orientation. I'm sure someone could explain that better.

Additionally, and probably the main reason I used 45/45 is I had a strip of about the right length and width on a bias cut in my leftovers pile. Nice and thrifty.

Some pics for you.

Name: image.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 254.8 KB
Description:
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Area over the join, top and bottom, was sanded and scuffed. This should hopefully allow a good bond with the epoxy.

Views: 38
Size: 141.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Waiting to cure now. I used a finishing resin because that's what I had and it would allow me to clear the kitchen table before the wife comes home. The cure time is about 4-6 hours. It's what I used on the fuz and that was nails when cured.

Views: 46
Size: 152.4 KB
Description:
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
It's been a while but it's finally finished. Had twenty or so flights today and I'm very happy. It's my first build and design that's flown straight away without any major issues. It's required a lot of lead up front but that's my fault for some poor design choices. Already thinking of number two, If I can get it done in half the time I'll be chuffed.
Views: 56
Size: 317.8 KB
Description: