SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,882 Posts
Discussion
Scale Model Flying-My New Transmitter Choice

I have been using my old Spektrum DX-6 and Hitec Eclipse 7 with 2.4 GHz module for a number of years. I have found that the Eclipse 7 has limitations for larger more complicated scale models. Examples, you can't have 3 position adjustable flaps with elevator offsets and differential ailerons at the same time. Flap and landing gear servo speeds are not adjustable. If you don't care about these things or don't foresee a need for them, this post may not interest you.

I have been agonizing whether to upgrade to a Spektrum DX-8 or Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter. I already have the Eclipse 7 and three Optima receivers. Most of my local flying buddies fly Spektrum DX-7's and DX-8's. Both brands have desired scale model programming features. The DX-8 uses a roller and buttons for programming. The Aurora 9 uses (arguably) easier touch screen programming and graphics making changes at the field easier without the manual. Both brands have telemetry options. The Aurora 9 uses a dongle to your PC to download firmware updates and upload them into the transmitter and receiver. Spektrum transmitters need to be sent to support center for updating but have SD card to expand number of model memories. DX-8's have great "model match" safety feature that prevents taking off with wrong model memory selected

I finally ordered the Aurora 9 with one Optima 7 receiver , wall wart charger, and HPP-22 PC interface device for a total of $340 with club discount from my LHS, Rob's RC Hobbies. I'm sure that either choice would satisfy serious scale modelers, sailplaners and heli pilots. Already owning three Optima 6 receivers and having the Eclipse 7 as backup transmitter did influence my final choice.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:41 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,497 Posts
E

I have a DX6i and an Aurora. I find the touch screen programming on the Aurora to be its greatest feature, so easy. Plus the RX's are affordable unlike Futaba. I am actually converting some of my old Futaba TX;s to 2.4 using the Hitec modules and RX's. The Spektrum TX's great advantage is all the BNF and micro BNF stuff you can get!!

Hope you like the Aurora, I certainly do!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw Iflew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:38 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,749 Posts
Ditto what Brian said about th Aurora 9 - I replaced a defunct Muliplex and have never been disappointed. I guess a spektrum might be handy for ARFs with Spektrum gear fitted but..........

Good choice

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:54 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,636 Posts
I didnt think Spektrum receiver prices were that bad. My last 4ch was less than $30.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:28 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,497 Posts
Charlie

Spektrum RX's for the most part are very affordable. That plus all the BNF stuff that came out made them the 2.4 leader early on in the 2.4 era. Unfortunately while Futaba has a good 2.4 setup their RX prices are way too high. That coupled with the fact that they don't really have any comparable RX's to the Spektrum Parkflyer RXs' which is where I think a lot of the early Spektrum sales went too. For a long while the cheapest Futaba 2.4 was about $90, compared to the mid to high $40 for a Spektrum.

That being said I really like the touch screen on the Aurora. The programming on my 6i is also easy but a lot of guys in my club have had major problems with broken trim buttons and roller wheels on the 6i. I fortunately have not yet. As I do not have a DX7 or 8 I have no idea if those areas are better than the 6i. I keep the 6i for all the BNF stuff and everything else is going on the Aurora.

Hope all is well out your way and that you and the family had a safe and peaceful New Years.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Last edited by Brian Allen; Jan 03, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:08 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
797 Posts
I have the newest version of the Spektrum 7 and it can be upgraded via the SD card. Easy, simple and can be done from any OS that can write to SD cards. You just need to download a certain file to the card and put it into the TX. Switch on and the update runs automatically.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:40 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
I have the DX7s, and the only thing I don't like about it over the DX6i which it replaced, is that you have to switch it off and then back on again to go into the model select menu. There is probably a good reason for this, but seeing as I could do it on my 6i and had no issues, I don't understand why this has changed. Can someone enlighten me perhaps?

Daz
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
I have the newest version of the Spektrum 7 and it can be upgraded via the SD card. Easy, simple and can be done from any OS that can write to SD cards. You just need to download a certain file to the card and put it into the TX. Switch on and the update runs automatically.
Agreed, my mistake, DX-8 can install transmitter firmware updates easily via download to PC and save to SD card and plug SD card into transmitter. Spektrum receiver firmware can't be updated via SD card process If I understand that correctly. May not be an important point though.

I had a tough time deciding. Oh the A-9 has one more channel
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:26 PM
President @ Hemet Model Master
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Oct 2006
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Agreed, my mistake, DX-8 can install transmitter firmware updates easily via download to PC and save to SD card and plug SD card into transmitter. Spektrum receiver firmware can't be updated via SD card process If I understand that correctly. May not be an important point though.

I had a tough time deciding. Oh the A-9 has one more channel
I got the DX-10t from my wife for xmas and i'll never touch another transmitter again it's a dream come true..... Love the auto trim!!!!!! and can do up to 18 channels to boot!!!!!!
huggie9999 is online now Find More Posts by huggie9999
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,882 Posts
Upmanship?

DX-10t ???? all I knew about was the DX-18 and QQ Somenzini special edition DX-18. Enjoy!!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:23 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,493 Posts
E-Challenged, the Spectrum fans will never give up bragging about their radios. I have an A-9 and think its just fine. I'm sure you will enjoy yours. Also, these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html seem to work just fine with mine, for park flyers at least, and the price is not too bad either. Personally, I really don't like being forced to use equipment from any specific brand. That's is one reason that I held off on 2.4 for so long. I don't like Apple for the same reason. Just another way for company's to hold up prices. Competition is good.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:48 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,883 Posts
My Eclipse 7 on 2.4 does enough. Anything it CANT do, I can do with my thumbs
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Oct 2000
11,882 Posts
I picked up the new A-9 xmtr, Optima 7 rcvr and HPP-22 interface device Saturday. I had to find my own 3-foot USB to mini cable for the HPP-22 to update the "firmware" in the A-9, it's 2.4GHz module and the Optima 7 receiver. All went well after I hit the "upgrade" button on each item's update page.

My Eclipse 7 can't do 3 position flaps with elevator offsets, while doing differential ailerons , (one or the other) and can't do slow retracts and flap up and down motion. There's lots of other features but those were important to me.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
E-Challenged, the Spectrum fans will never give up bragging about their radios.
Eh? I haven't heard all that much bragging. Spektrum just happens to be relatively cheap and widely available. I've had plenty of issues with all of my Spektrum transmitters. If I didn't already own 30+ DSM receivers, I'd consider switching brands. Yes, I know... JR is compatible.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:12 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,493 Posts
rafe_b, seems like you're one of the few. Seems like most of the time if someone posts that they are thinking about getting a new radio, the Spectrum fans just jump in big time. Spectrum bothers me, I think, because, in my opinion, they rushed a product to market before it was ready. But that's true of so many electronic products today. The marketing people take precedence. It bothers me that Spectrum has gone through so many iterations of their DSMxx technology. I really don't like buying a product that I can't be relatively sure will still be around and serviceable for the reasonable future. (I'm an old man and I think reasonable should be in a range of 7-10 years) I've got to shut up because I know I'm bound to be inviting a whole rash of comments that I don't want to get into.

So, enough of this. E-challenged, enjoy your new radio. If you're satisfied, that's all that matters.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member