HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88997 View Post
Has anybody tried this engine for 3d? I'm trying to see what kind of plane I want to build and I would prefer gas over nitro
I have been thinking about the same thing. A few posts back one of the guys put one on a funfly 3d.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, TX, Lewisville
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Ya I was looking at the sabre 47, I'm sure it's a little heavier but if it still has plenty of power it would be worth it
michael88997 is offline Find More Posts by michael88997
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
I have mine on a 3D profile but haven't had the chance to fly it yet. Its been either -30F or snowing I can't seem to get a break in the weather to test it out.

edit: michael I have mine on the sabre it came in just over 5 pounds dry. The range is 4.25 to 4.75 on value hobbies website. Its over weight but not terribly so. On top of that most planes come out towards the upper end of the weight range anyway from what I have seen.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Send it to me ill test it ... Ill probably use my tax return to buy it so I'm not in a rush, but I'm hoping it works well
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:44 AM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
446 Posts
I have to concur the weather sucks. I have 2 of these now and haven't fired a one yet. Waiting for a warm spell.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:48 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef086 View Post
A few posts back one of the guys put one on a funfly 3d.
2 months later of release date and zero videos on RCG, RCU, FG...
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:33 AM
Norway
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
I have the engine in a 3d plane. I wil try to make some testing and a video this weekend
tyor is offline Find More Posts by tyor
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Mine just came in last night, VERY nice engine, about as heavy as my OS .46, maybe a LITTLE bit more. the CDI adds weight too but one of the benefits of gasoline is way better fuel economy so a smaller tank will fix that.
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:48 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Mine just came in last night, VERY nice engine, about as heavy as my OS .46, maybe a LITTLE bit more. the CDI adds weight too but one of the benefits of gasoline is way better fuel economy so a smaller tank will fix that.
I didn't figure out how much heavier it is but by time you add in the CDI, an extra flight battery or isolation module its going to be a few ounces heavier than a 46. Personally I don't care at all that its a little heavier. Extremely long flight times and 5 bucks a gallon versus 25 bucks a gallon makes the extra weight a non issue for me.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
I have the engine in a 3d plane. I wil try to make some testing and a video this weekend
That would be soo awesome
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I didn't figure out how much heavier it is but by time you add in the CDI, an extra flight battery or isolation module its going to be a few ounces heavier than a 46. Personally I don't care at all that its a little heavier. Extremely long flight times and 5 bucks a gallon versus 25 bucks a gallon makes the extra weight a non issue for me.
Is an extra flight battery even needed for a .46 sized aircraft? I mean I have 4 good brand new LiFe 1100mah batteries so I'm not cheaping out or anything, just wondering. These batteries have dual power outs so they can go right into the receiver and ignition without any mods. The ignition for the 10GX can take 6.6v no issue and the receiver seems fine with it too. Radio I have on order has telemetry so I can monitor my voltage from the ground although I hear the LiFe batteries drop off REALLY fast, like so fast you might not get back to the field...
scottydsntknow is offline Find More Posts by scottydsntknow
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:29 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
I had planned on doing what you are talking about scotty but Jimmy from Horizon Hobby made this post after I said I was going to run a single battery. I will be running dual batteries in my plane its not something I am going to risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspauld2 View Post
I'm not sure who you talked to at Horizon Hobby product support, but I would just tell you that it is NOT Horizon's standpoint that running both the ignition and receiver off the same battery is safe.

What you do with your plane is absolutely up to you, but the product support tech that you talked with is incorrect about our standpoint.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
I plan to run 1 life pack, either with 2 leads or with a IBEC that cuts the noise out, that mixed with 2.4 I have never had problems on a gasser I had
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:40 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I had planned on doing what you are talking about scotty but Jimmy from Horizon Hobby made this post after I said I was going to run a single battery. I will be running dual batteries in my plane its not something I am going to risk.
I read his comments as simply keeping Horizon out of the liability loop. I don't think they want to be on record as saying what is safe and what is not.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
I read his comments as simply keeping Horizon out of the liability loop. I don't think they want to be on record as saying what is safe and what is not.
Exactly, most rc stuff has warnings to cover them self