HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I finally acquired a TD3, but still have not managed to obtain a TD4.

How did it fly, by the way?
I've thought a lot about that. Next I went to a PT19. The PT was lightened by removing all dead weight like the windshields, stickers, landing gear, pilots, and I drilled another hole in the bell crank resulting in HUGE elevator movement, started burning 40% and using HC heads, best propellers. I liked the way the TD 4 pulled even at 90 degrees, and seemed to track a little better. The modified PT19 was far more maneuverable and capable of around a 7 or 8 foot loop. I think the TD4 was a better flyer and would be as easy to hot rod as a PT19.
Always having the need for speed I found the .049 ARFs way too slow, too heavy and too likely to come back on the lines. My next bird was a Stuntman23 with a Cox .051. That plane had more power and bogged less entering a turn. It was capable of 6 or 7 foot loops, allowed me to learn flying inverted and created much more air time. Then I bought a used Voodoo with a Fox 36X, the 1975, plain bearing shiney case type. That one flew like a bat out of hell, sealing my direction in CL flying.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
tigreflyer,

Thank you for the information!

I will keep my eye out for a TD4. If I can get one in fair condition, I will fly it and report back. Based on your information, it sounds like a good model!

The TD3 I have appears to be new, but is cracked, both on the top and bottom, behind the engine. I doubt it would stay together, even if patched. Interesting, all vacuum-formed design, though.
Ah Clem is online now Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,314 Posts
If you fly all and any of those plastic RTF's on Sig .008 stranded control lines you can double the line length. I've flown a Cox Little Stinker on 30 foot 008's.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr