HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
475 Posts
Video
One winch wing cam

Here is a wildly cross wind (70 degrees) launch with a One Winch. ot a super high launch but would have been much worse with a high start.
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
475 Posts
one winch

Here is a vid of a one winch launch of a 62 ounce 3meter Oculus (mm glider tech). Around 10 mph wind, altimeter said 320-340 ft launches (over several launches)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:38 AM
South Korea
Joined Jul 2002
243 Posts
That's pretty impressive. I have launched a 1.5 m handlaunch glider with a hook on this One Winch but now I must try my 3 meter Graphite on it.
Correa is offline Find More Posts by Correa
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
475 Posts
First part of the vid is my 2 meter LilBird, allmost straight up in a 10+mph wind. The guys think it was pushing 400 ft.
The secon part is my oculus in more wind and flying backwards (kite off the turnaround) when the chute wraped the horz stab. I have never had this happen.. but have heard about it. My fault I think I floated the bird at the top. I tried to clear the chute but the wind just turned her around, so I used the rudder as best I could to keep the wings level..No damage ( thanks Merrill) and flew it a minute later.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Wow! Talk about a first hand view of what happened! Looks like a combination of staying on the line until the tension is gone, but also diving deep at the top. Look at the huge elevator deflection. Glad there was no damage.

I wonder if your tow hook is too far forward. This plane, with any wind at all, should be pulling real hard at the top. I also say this because the first OneWinch launches you reported with this plane seemed far lower than I would expect in a 10 mph wind.

Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Last edited by 2motheus; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Correa View Post
That's pretty impressive. I have launched a 1.5 m handlaunch glider with a hook on this One Winch but now I must try my 3 meter Graphite on it.
Correa,
Your Graphite will do great on the OneWinch.
Tim
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
475 Posts
The down elevator was to get off the hook, the wind was gusty and I held on to long and I was trying to get off the hook. Just trying for the most height. The earlier launches with less height were mostly due to cross winds and not full use of the line. Half the time at our field I have to coil at least 50 ft back on to the reel and not utilize the full line length. This day I actulayy used 100%. The National weather service said winds to 15 mph. The hook is exactly where the designer reccommends. Never had a problem with winch, histart or Onewinch. Just my screw up. Just thought you would all appreciate my 15 seconds of OHHH.

None of hang up was due to the Onewinch, just me being greedy. These are the best launches I have had (exception of a electric winch) not to mention flying a 2 meter and a 3meter one after the other on the same launcher! Everyone at the field is impressed with the design and workmanship. Than you Tim for the great option for launching.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
Holy macaroni. That One Winch looks good.
It seems like it could compare with a winsh? Or am I wrong?

Is it difficult to use? I see many lines that may tangle
Sittin is offline Find More Posts by Sittin
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
475 Posts
Sitten,
Actually I find it easy to use. Have not had a tangle, does not seem to be a problem. Well with the exception of screwing up and wraping the chute around the tail. There is alot of info here in RC Groups about the one winch. Everyone I fly with thinks it is a nice alternative. Check it out here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473778
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
Thanks tailsld
Sittin is offline Find More Posts by Sittin