HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Discussion
TP-610C AC/DC questions

I have ordered the TP-610C AC/DC (10A charge rate / 80W) to charge a Thunder Power G4 1250mAh 11.1V 3S 45C liPo, but i am wondering...

1) Is this charger powerfull enough to charge this battery at its 6C rated charge rate?

2) What charges faster AC or DC? The reason i ask is because i had a Parkzone Ni-MH charger that charged batteries must faster when plugged into a cars cigarette lighter.

3) Do Thunder Power battery charge plugs just plug right into this charger or do i have to make or purchase any connectors?

4) What is the AC power output for this charger; i know it says 80W but is it the same for AC?

5) How does the cycling feature for liPo's work on this charger, is it usefull? anyone have any experience with it?

Thank-you
SIDWULF is offline Find More Posts by SIDWULF
Last edited by SIDWULF; Jan 24, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,648 Posts
1.25a x 6C = 7.5A So you need 7.5 to take full advantage of 6C charging. SO should be very close or atleast its going to be good enough.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
"included balance connector adapter board are readily compatible with all Thunder Power balance connectors and the JST-XH balance connectors" = YOU ARE GOOD!

Most of us do not advocate cycling lipos .... other than for break-in .... which I prefer to do myself so I can work out my flight times versus the amount of mAhs I put back into the pack so I hold true to the 80% capacity rule.

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tos might be useful for you to read.

I do use discharge .... but prefer to use the pack in flight to discharge and then charge to storage capacity 50% (3.85 v per cell).
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Thanks for the help

Can anyone help me with the other questions?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:27 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
First I have this charger and I love it. But, a few things to consider are this charger will only outputs 60 watts on the ac plug. You have to have a 12vdc supply like a battery to get the full 80 watts.

This charger also does not have enough power to charge this battery at 6c. At 1.25ah x 12.6(voltage of 3s pack)= 15.75 watts x 6 = 94.5 watts needed to charge this lipo at 6 c.

I haven't used the cycling feature.

I haven't used any other TP plugs, all my lipos have ec3 connectors so i just soldered ec3 bullet connectors to the charge wires provided with the 610c.

I also suggest you check out the following quick start guide, as the instruction manual for this charger is very sparse and not easy to figure out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1806972
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Thanks but im still a little confused.

So are you saying i have to solder on charge connectors to the charger to plug in my Thunder Power pack?

That dosen't make sense...considering this is also a Thunder Power charger

And what is faster at charging at the same charge rate AC or DC? Or would it be the same? Why was my Parkzone charger charging faster on DC?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:09 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post
Thanks but im still a little confused.

So are you saying i have to solder on charge connectors to the charger to plug in my Thunder Power pack?

That dosen't make sense...considering this is also a Thunder Power charger

And what is faster at charging at the same charge rate AC or DC? Or would it be the same? Why was my Parkzone charger charging faster on DC?
Whatever connector you have on your Thunder Power lipo, be it ec-2, deans or whatever, you will have to either solder that same male connector onto the provided straight connector wires, or you can purchase an already set up connector or "octopus cable" that has many different connectors at your lhs.

The current that comes out of the charger is all DC, so it makes no difference in whether you connect it to a 12vdc car battery or plug it into an ac outlet. The ac is converted to dc current. There is some loss in efficiency in that which is why the max rated charge power of 80 watts can only be achieved through a straight dc source. I'm not sure what you mean by your PZ charger charging faster on DC. Which PZ charger are you referring to?
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer