HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2014, 06:35 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
Discussion
micro extra

hi all i have decided to build an extra 260/300 for the guts from my umx sbach. so i started drawing it up in sketchup. i plan on trying out the 3d cutting feature from the sketchucam plugin from phlatboyz and 3d cut the fuse out of extruded polystyrene and then hot wire some wings. so what do you guys think of my design so far? my plan is to make the hatch removable and also the wing since this will be a travel plane for me. as for the hatch my plan was a couple sets of rare earth magnets and probably a single nylon bolt to hold the wing on

wing span-- 17"
motor--2500kv sbach motor
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:15 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2002
318 Posts
Looks interesting.
Do you have a CNC mill to cut the foam ? and do you mean expanded polystyrene rather than extruded ? I have seen this sort of thing done using blue foam (the home insulation stuff) and it looked great.

Good luck with it,
Rob
RobT is offline Find More Posts by RobT
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:52 AM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
Yes I do have a CNC router. I will be using the blue insulation foam for the build. I have the design work done but I need to fix my dremel before I can start. I may start working on the wings through since I have never cut a set of wings
Old Jun 04, 2014, 10:41 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
well i have all the parts designed and laid out to be cut and have the code written. next up is make the templates for the wings and then once i fix my dremel i can start cutting parts.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 08:03 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2002
318 Posts
Nicely done. I assume you mill the uderside first.

Rob
RobT is offline Find More Posts by RobT
Old Jun 05, 2014, 08:44 AM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
yes the plan is to mill the under side flip the blank over and mill the top. at least that is the plan this is the first time i have tried to do 3d milling with my machine but it works in theory.
Old Jun 05, 2014, 09:52 PM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2013
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt View Post
yes the plan is to mill the under side flip the blank over and mill the top. at least that is the plan this is the first time i have tried to do 3d milling with my machine but it works in theory.
Theory's are great, I'm full of them, mostly wrong

Dave
d wulff is offline Find More Posts by d wulff
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:40 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
so im toying with attaching the wing with rare earth magnets has anyone done this before? im thinking a hook at the LE and 2 sets of magnets at the TE
Old Jun 08, 2014, 08:01 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
so im toying with attaching the wing with rare earth magnets has anyone done this before? im thinking a hook at the LE and 2 sets of magnets at the TE
Made me smile. People still think they can be first to do stuff after a century of model aircraft builders

For the wing-magnets there has been much use recently of them within the Micro Radian glider threads.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Jun 08, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 11:44 AM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
thanks for the info after posting i looked it up on Google and found several hits for micro BNF planes that have been modded to have a magnet to hold the wing on. so next question is 4 sets of magnets or two sets with a pin on the LE.

so i tried my hand at hot wire cutting yesterday and i thought i had a usable set of cores untill i compared them to the drawing and the wing tips are 1/2 inch shorter than they were supposed to so back to the hot wire. good news is i have been getting better the more i do
Last edited by rotccapt; Jun 08, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 12:52 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
so i cant figure out why but my wing tip is consistently smaller than it should be. i am using the single point pivot method for cutting the wings. the wing tip ends up about 1/8 inch shorter than it should be, while not really that much of a difference im just going to use them the way they are. the only thing i can think of is that my wire might be too hot so it is melting more foam than it should
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:06 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
891 Posts
Quote:
so i cant figure out why but my wing tip is consistently smaller than it should be. i am using the single point pivot method for cutting the wings. the wing tip ends up about 1/8 inch shorter than it should be, while not really that much of a difference im just going to use them the way they are. the only thing i can think of is that my wire might be too hot so it is melting more foam than it should
Yup, I am guessing that your wire is melting the foam more at the tips, too. Likely do to the reduced heat sink effect on the wire from less foam to melt at one time. I am unsure if regulating the amperage through the wire will maintain a more constant heat. Versus a voltage regulated power supply, of course.

At least you are making progress!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jun 09, 2014, 06:46 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
defiantly making progress. yesterday i applied a layer of silkspan to the wing and ailerons using water based polycrylic this added a lot of strength to the wing. next up some paint. on the 14th i will be ordering the parts i need for my dremel so i'm at a stand still for the moment