HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2014, 12:18 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Pontypridd
Joined Dec 2013
48 Posts
Already cannot get enough flight time and will be purchasing another battery to charge whilst I fly

I was wondering, you know the Apple USB plug socket converters (The plug socket which has a USB port in it) would I be able to use that to charge the little 150ma lipo or would it kick out too much current?

I was wondering so I don't need to be around my PC all the time to keep charging ^.^
zRwk is offline Find More Posts by zRwk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2014, 02:36 PM
Joined Jul 2013
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRwk View Post
Already cannot get enough flight time and will be purchasing another battery to charge whilst I fly

I was wondering, you know the Apple USB plug socket converters (The plug socket which has a USB port in it) would I be able to use that to charge the little 150ma lipo or would it kick out too much current?

I was wondering so I don't need to be around my PC all the time to keep charging ^.^
You can use the adapter from ipad. I'm using it to for my USB chargers and it works fine!
Lyrix is offline Find More Posts by Lyrix
Old May 07, 2014, 03:01 PM
Joined Dec 2013
48 Posts
Sweet, thanks

Already looking at my LHS's website to purchase more batteries for this thing. Getting the hang on all the directional controls is still taking it's time, but I'm getting there at least aha...

I've got the hover down, and simple directions, but it's once you get your nose down, aileron down and nose turning for long sweeping bank turns then it all starts getting confusing.

I've also had a few hard landings, which was to be expected, but no hard crashes into anything yet
Old May 07, 2014, 04:04 PM
Joined Dec 2013
48 Posts
Thought I'd let you guys know, my last run managed to get a sweet sweeping turn, controlled and then back to hover and then to a nice soft landing. for a moment, I felt like a real pilot, was awesome
Old May 07, 2014, 10:56 PM
The Red Baron
Joined May 2014
66 Posts
In my opinion Symas and Airhogs helis are really good for control, they're easy to get the hang of, but they aren't really serious modeling. You might consider the Syma AH-64 Mini Apache a model though, because it technically IS modeled after a real heli, but that's not like a super complicated gas powered one. I have one the Syma AH-64 Mini Apache but I think the remote's battery needs to be replaced...
Fokker Dr. 1 is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Dr. 1
Old May 08, 2014, 07:38 PM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,573 Posts
Everybody's different but here's how I've progressed over the last 18 months:

1 - toy grade 3ch coax micro - indoors only, infrared Tx
2 - FP flybarred micro (V911)
3 - Phoenix sim
4 - 100-class CP w/programmable Tx (Devo 7e) (Super CP, V922, nCPx, HCP100...)
5 - micro quads - Ladybird QR, Hubsan X4's, ProtoX

It's good to have a few models to fly for a couple of reasons. The motors are consumables and wear out fairly quickly (depending on the model) so you should let them cool between flights (cool one, fly another). If you have to wait for parts for one, you aren't completely grounded.

If you don't know how to solder, learn or you will be very frustrated when it comes to repairs and motor replacement unless you stick with only models that have plug-in components or have a friend that can help you out. Even with plugs, eventually something will need soldering.

No two people learn the same way or at the same rate. Read what other have to say but nothing is absolute except physics.

Everybody's got an opinion, ESPECIALLY about the merits or lack thereof of a manufacturer, model, vendor, technique, etc, etc , etc. YMMV.

Ok, enough rambling....

Just remember to have fun!
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old May 09, 2014, 10:00 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
After I moved on from fp heli I found the mcpx a fun and cheap way to translate the sport style flying that I was learning on the sim into real life. Five years later I still cant get enough of this hobby.
Bforte is offline Find More Posts by Bforte
Old May 12, 2014, 02:26 PM
Joined Jul 2013
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bforte View Post
After I moved on from fp heli I found the mcpx a fun and cheap way to translate the sport style flying that I was learning on the sim into real life. Five years later I still cant get enough of this hobby.
Yep sim and micros do help these days. 15 years ago i started this hobby and then there were no micros like now

Still i like bigger heli's. Just way more stable then those little bee's!}
Old May 12, 2014, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2013
48 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

Really starting to get the hang of the different directions and controls and getting much more confident.

My only issue is I live in Wales and there are very few windless days, so taking the Mini heli outside for more room is pretty much impossible, I wish I had a large gym hall near me to go get a bit of distance on this little guy.

Very tempted to move up to a much larger heli to get outside and really get flying, just looking around at the moment, but this hobby rocks!
Old May 12, 2014, 06:32 PM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,032 Posts
i kinda think 450 is awesome to start out! not too big where it would damage the whole thing. and not too small where it would be too twitchy..

bigger heli i don't think is a very good idea to start. had a little accident with 450 and got away with bruised arm when it spooled up full throttle 2 feet away from me you guys remember that thread, right??

600 size would probbaly kill me if it did that same thing swinging 600mm blades!!!
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old May 13, 2014, 05:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
of course start with the mini helico, like WLtoys V911 or JXD 395
Mark Martin is offline Find More Posts by Mark Martin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2014, 09:22 AM
Joined Jul 2013
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
i kinda think 450 is awesome to start out! not too big where it would damage the whole thing. and not too small where it would be too twitchy..

bigger heli i don't think is a very good idea to start. had a little accident with 450 and got away with bruised arm when it spooled up full throttle 2 feet away from me you guys remember that thread, right??

600 size would probbaly kill me if it did that same thing swinging 600mm blades!!!
That's a mistake that can happen to a newb and a pro! As i said before i started with Calibre .30 and even then the instructor told me it's better to get a .50 (600). They are just way more stable and can handle winds. 450 is okish but with wind it's not so nice to fly. 500/600 is for me the best starter size! Also the cost of parts from a 450 are almost the same as a 500. Just blades cost a bit more.
Old May 13, 2014, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2013
48 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I do need a wind stable helicopter as where I am is often windy.

I would like to build the heli from a kit, but I would also need new batteries as my 3s batteries would struggle with something this large/ heavy. Then there's the transmitter.

I'm super excited for the upgrade, by the price keeps stacking up and I want to get a good Tx/Rx to begin with, to remove the need of upgrading later on. The Spektrum dx6i looks like a good place to start.

I need to start saving the pennies, flying RC is just awesome and I need more of it in my life
Old May 14, 2014, 08:22 AM
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
366 Posts
Sim first, like Phoenix, then get a collective pitch hell. I went with a blade 450 3d. Love the heli to death. Most importantly, its the cheapest CP of size to fix.
Don't get one yet with torque tube to the tail. You want a belt drive. Knicking a blade of grass and destroying expensive gears will get old QUICK.

But what ever you do, sim first, and a lot of it!
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
Old May 14, 2014, 03:27 PM
Joined Jul 2013
110 Posts
Yep sim first! Phoenix is awesome even for people who can fly already. It's fun to fly online with random poeple :-)