HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Question
T-Maxx Classic 2.5 TX?

I have an old T-Maxx 2.5 classis with the old 27Mhz raido witht the 3' foot antenna! I want to upgrade to the 2.4 system but am not sure what TX/RX I need to buy. There are a ton of them on ebay and maybe here. 2ch & 3ch that say they fit T-Maxx? Anybody who's knows which radio system I need, please chime in. I also could upgrade my servos as they are old and weak. I also thought I saw a RX rechargable battery pack sometime back but can't find it now. Tired of buying AA's all the time.

Thanks!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:34 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
For driving a 2 channel will do nicely. What radio you should get depends upon your other requirements. Should you consider boats or planes/ helis later on, you could be better of with a stick transmitter, since it's well possible to drive a car with stick transmitter, but pretty impossible to fly a plane with a pistol-grip type transmitter...

And we need to know your budget.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:39 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
426 Posts
If you have reverse you'll need a 3 channel. The easiest way is to count how many plugs are plugged into your current receiver and thats what you'll need.
Having more channels on the radio is no problem, have to few and you could have problems.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Didn't realise it was a gas powered truck. For electric motor 2 channels will suffice though. But more is no problem.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Yeah, I have driven cars/trucks on my sim with a stick but I like the wheel. I have a couple Dx7s TX's I fly my planes and heli's with, just want to update my nitro truck. I was looking more at the "take offs" that some guys and shops are pulling off new trucks to upgrade to racing buggies. I don't have any desire to get crazy with this truck just get it to 2.4.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:08 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
If you already have Spectrum a DX3 seems like a logical choice.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I run the DX3.0 on my maxx at the moment but I pruchased a Flysky 3 channel combo for something around $35 shipped and it works very well.. if you are looking for inexpensive this is a great way to go.. just about any 3 channel 2.4 rx/tx will work.. much better than the old am ones.
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:11 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Does the old Tmaxx 2.5 have reverse? Is it a separate channel, or activated by hitting full reverse?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:23 PM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Does the old Tmaxx 2.5 have reverse? Is it a separate channel, or activated by hitting full reverse?
Yes, they have reverse. It has a red switch on the TX. After further inspection I see it is a 3ch truck. I have never had the RX box off until today! I bought this truck back around 2004!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:09 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
The FlySky GT3B is probably the cheapest (and reliable) 3 channel system out there, and would work very well for you.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons