HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,464 Posts
Discussion
Caught On Film or It Wasn't Supposed To Happen Like That

I thought it would be fun to share some of those photos that show the lighter side of model aviation.

My wife came with me to shoot some photos of my airplane. She captured this photo below. What I saw was the plane coming in for a landing and it was caught by a sudden down draft. What this photos shows is that I was coming in, trying to keep the nose up and giving slight left rudder to bring her in on the runway. This caused the wing to drop as it stalled. Clearly pilot error. But no damage to the airplane since I was going low and slow. Plus the XTs are pretty tough birds.

Anyone else care to share their not so pretty photos? I know we always like to show the great photos doing sweet things, but we know that is not always the case.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,994 Posts
Okay, sounds like fun.

Same thing, gust of wind caught it just as it was touching down.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Whoops

Same again, gust of wind across the runway and the barbed wire fence ate the model. Fuselage left intact but the wings and tailplane destroyed. My wife bless her, caught the highlight of the 'landing'.
empeejay is offline Find More Posts by empeejay
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:37 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Sure are a lot of mysterious wind forces out there causing all sorts of trouble
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:18 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,416 Posts
This is not IC powered, but it's one of mine. I think this knocked out the motor mount and bent or knocked out the gear. The gear block had already reinforced so it wouldn't have come out and I used nylon bolts for the gear. I think ran out of power and had turned around to get back on the field. I was also learning to fly mode 4. The plane still flies today.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Last edited by gkamysz; Nov 29, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
The Hobby lobby people recently had a good one when the ESC in a plane they were testing decided to die on them. http://blog.hobby-lobby.com/wing-wor...ane-on-fire-2/

and blowing on it doesn't work to put it out either.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:28 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
My mistake Sunday, killed my pattern plane. I should have gone the other way with it, instead of trying to pull out like I did, I needed about 6 more inches of ground clearance and I didn't have it. But that is hindsight for you. Yes that is the wing about 100 feet back there, assorted parts inbetween including the horizontal stab. The battery pack is actually about where the pic was taken. A "Split S" just a touch too close to the ground.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Aug 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Most of my crashes somehow always get caught on video instead of a still picture Here is my 20 size J-3 that got into a fight with a good gust on takeoff....it didn't win I don't have a pic of the wing anymore but it didn't fair any better.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Mariposa
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeejay View Post
Same again, gust of wind across the runway and the barbed wire fence ate the model. Fuselage left intact but the wings and tailplane destroyed. My wife bless her, caught the highlight of the 'landing'.

Nice pic!!!

There was one time I wish I had a photo or movie of a crash. I was flying a Hobie Hawk and got following a 1:1 hawk around. He suckered me right into a 230 KV transmission line. No sparks, but cut the right wing in half.

There was another time when 2 motorcycle CHP ran into each other watching us fly RC too... Would have been priceless...
CZ10 is offline Find More Posts by CZ10
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
Should have videoed the photographer

Enjoy this video of my first flight on the Taube in my Avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YyFTqt8pSsc

Plane is fine, photographer is recovering.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
That is a nice plane and the video was good too.
Thanks for sharing, it looks great and sounds great and flies nicely too.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
627 Posts
earlwb
Thanks for the nice compliments about my model of a 1914 Jeannin Stahltaube. It was on the cover of Control Line World magazine, July 2011.
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,043 Posts
That Mossie looks right to scale, considering I just watched "633 Squadron" last week
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird