SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2015, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by marblekit
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Oct 2014
124 Posts
Parkzone T-28 "The Phoenix"

Another plane that's part of my "Flying Trash" series!

I got this T-28 for nearly nothing. It was in very bad shape. The nose was almost completely destroyed. I put the pieces back together and filled in gaps with extra foam from other scraped planes.

After putting it all back together, I repainted the whole plane. I went with a yellow on top and orange on bottom theme to help with orientation.

I laminated the main wing, horizontal stabilizer and the nose area. These are now very strong. The laminate acts like a skin and gives stiffness to foam that was once very flexible.

I added a Turnigy 3536 1000kv motor and a 9x8 master airscrew propeller. It should be faster than the stock 480 brushless motor.

This is also using the LemonRX stabilizer receiver, though it probably doesn't really need it.

Parkzone T 28 The Phoenix (9 min 24 sec)
marblekit is offline Find More Posts by marblekit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by BlindFury
Joined Nov 2013
27 Posts
more eye candy

So I now have 3 PZ T-28's. One just the grey AF airframe in the hanger, the other is the "Purple Haze" (see my previous posts for the build process), and finally "The Flying Dead Man."

The "Dead Man" is stock, with an under-wing Mobius mount. Some video below:

Perfect flying weather (7 min 8 sec)

Some pics of the "Dead Man" and "The Haze" from the last month or so...
BlindFury is online now Find More Posts by BlindFury
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:51 AM
Find More Posts by 2spicey
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
210 Posts
Good pics Blindfury... nice flying site too. A bit of clover grass amongst cropped ground and "drive to" access. Couldn't get better. Just a catch up, I completed the 6s T-28 converversion you inspired and are about to go old world again and order a FlyFly F86 Sabre (1.4m 90mm edf) the obsession continues.
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
123 Posts
Balancing lipo

During the flight today I noticed that with the stock lipo pushed all way forward the t28 flew more nose down and had to correct t with some up elevator. Is this just down to some tuning I've not done yet.

Whats the best way to address? Adjust elevator push for length, trim, of move battery back? This is in stock bnf t28.

Thanks in advance.
AW
applewood is offline Find More Posts by applewood
Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by kamikazeknifer
United States, PA, State College
Joined Aug 2014
100 Posts
Just push the battery back. On my stock setup the rear of the battery was on the 2nd or 1st "hump" behind the bridge/cutout/battery bay. No point messing with the plane if you can just push the battery back, check CoG, and fly. You should check CG every time you swap the battery, at least until you find the sweet spot and memorize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood View Post
During the flight today I noticed that with the stock lipo pushed all way forward the t28 flew more nose down and had to correct t with some up elevator. Is this just down to some tuning I've not done yet.

Whats the best way to address? Adjust elevator push for length, trim, of move battery back? This is in stock bnf t28.

Thanks in advance.
AW
kamikazeknifer is online now Find More Posts by kamikazeknifer
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by applewood
Joined Jan 2015
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazeknifer View Post
Just push the battery back. On my stock setup the rear of the battery was on the 2nd or 1st "hump" behind the bridge/cutout/battery bay. No point messing with the plane if you can just push the battery back, check CoG, and fly. You should check CG every time you swap the battery, at least until you find the sweet spot and memorize it.
Thanks for the advise. Grounded today due to rain. Hopefully get out tomorrow and try moving the battery back and checking cog.

AW
applewood is offline Find More Posts by applewood
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:38 PM
Joined May 2013
210 Posts
Morning all... Beautiful day for flying here today so thought I would put a few more flights on the 6s Yellow Spark. All was going good until during a fast straight and level pass the damn canopy popped open (didn't know it was fitted with ejection seat) BANG.... down she goes. Good left/right but no elevator controll. Impacted the ground on a 30/40 degree angle doing about 40mph, having flown on under zero power for 80 meters or so post 'bang'. The canopy had an obvious impact mark on it... which lined up with the one on the leading edge of the horizontal stab, which had been driven backward stripping the teeth of the servo for the elevator (hence no up)
Broken cowling of course and a pretty good sized hole in the park but no damage to the motor or prop! (ground was nice and soft) Firewall stoved in (already repaired) and the fuse snapped clean in half at the exact point I stopped the WBPU/Fibreglass skin.. Zero damage to the wing and fuse right upto the cowling... All good. Guess the point I am making is that the very lightweight glass skin works brilliantly to strengthen the foam and glassing planes this way is a skill I reccommend to everyone. Here's an added bonus.. The cowling is split but all there. I will tape it internally back into shape then a single layer of the WBPU Glass over the outside... repaint and the cowing will be like new again! Total cost of the crash = 1 servo which was scheduled to be upgraded anyway White mark in second pix is the impact point... really luck it didn't break the canopy!
Last edited by 2spicey; Jul 26, 2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by BlindFury
Joined Nov 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spicey View Post
Morning all... Beautiful day for flying here today so thought I would put a few more flights on the 6s Yellow Spark. All was going good until during a fast straight and level pass the damn canopy popped open (didn't know it was fitted with ejection seat) BANG.... down she goes. Good left/right but no elevator controll. Impacted the ground on a 30/40 degree angle doing about 40mph, having flown on under zero power for 80 meters or so post 'bang'. The canopy had an obvious impact mark on it... which lined up with the one on the leading edge of the horizontal stab, which had been driven backward stripping the teeth of the servo for the elevator (hence no up)
Broken cowling of course and a pretty good sized hole in the park but no damage to the motor or prop! (ground was nice and soft) Firewall stoved in (already repaired) and the fuse snapped clean in half at the exact point I stopped the WBPU/Fibreglass skin.. Zero damage to the wing and fuse right upto the cowling... All good. Guess the point I am making is that the very lightweight glass skin works brilliantly to strengthen the foam and glassing planes this way is a skill I reccommend to everyone. Here's an added bonus.. The cowling is split but all there. I will tape it internally back into shape then a single layer of the WBPU Glass over the outside... repaint and the cowing will be like new again! Total cost of the crash = 1 servo which was scheduled to be upgraded anyway White mark in second pix is the impact point... really luck it didn't break the canopy!
Ouch! At least no damage to the power system. Fully repairable. Should be flying again soon!
BlindFury is online now Find More Posts by BlindFury
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:57 PM
Joined May 2013
210 Posts
Just waiting for the glue to fully set overnight then I will run the WPBU/glass another 50mm back over the join to make it 100% and glass the cowling. Everything else is already back together and mechanically sweet. Yaay