Find More Posts by kookboy
But Honey..It was only $$
United States, WA, Blaine
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Yippee!
E-Flite P-47D Thunderbolt 400 ARF * PART 2 *

...Hi all,

this is the 2nd part of the recent E-Flite P-47D Thunderbolt 400 ARF that hit the market with some pretty nice results.

For those interested, the 1st part of the thread is here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436850

Enjoy & keep all the comments rolling in !
kookboy is offline Find More Posts by kookboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Ok I will start posting here with you. I have been working on my repairs. I got all of my foam repaired so far. Just trying to decide how far I want to take the fiberglassing. I will definatly be glassing the leading edge. but not sure if I want to fill all the pannel lines and glass the whole wing. Also contemplating adding lights and Flaps. I might just try to do the flaps but I don't know what it will do to the landing performance. Here are some picts.

Don't fly dead on into a steel fence post. it isn't good for your plane. It shreded my cowling and the prop. then when it made it way to the wing it damaged the leading edge of the wing and the force tore the fusealage in half. The impact with the ground broke the tail.

so should I reinforce the fusalage? right now I just have the fuse glued back with CA. But thinking I should imbed some carbon fiber rod or Glass the area. But heck if I start glassing I will just glass the whole thing.

sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by SammyB
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
looking good so far. While flaps would be cool, it already lands like a slow stick!
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
I know I am mostly thinking the cool factor not much to slow it down. but if I glassed the whole plane I was thinking it might need it from the added wt. now is the time I should start thinking about retracts too. I think i will order another wing and turn this wing into retracts and flaps and leave the new one stock that will get me in the air now and I can take my time putting the cool stuff in.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:12 PM
Find More Posts by B-29
Innsbruck/Tirol/Austria
Joined Jul 2005
63 Posts
If you have to do the hole plane again - why don´t you cover it with woodlock varnish and tissue, lot´s of the GWS plane have been build like this and it give a superb finish and a incredibily strengh to the fuselage.
B-29 is offline Find More Posts by B-29
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkinpat
I know I am mostly thinking the cool factor not much to slow it down. but if I glassed the whole plane I was thinking it might need it from the added wt. now is the time I should start thinking about retracts too. I think i will order another wing and turn this wing into retracts and flaps and leave the new one stock that will get me in the air now and I can take my time putting the cool stuff in.
Good to see you're putting it back together

If you're going to do retracts, I would recommend the following Great Planes mech. size .10 retracts. All I will say is that I have a pair on order and that I did my research.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUY31&P=7

Good luck !
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Tommy

that is what I have been debating. I just ordered some decals in 1/48 to scale up on my compuer for my repaint. howver I can'd decide over the blonde angel which is silver or to go OD with invasion stripes as squirt II. Either way I will be definatly be going with some version with a scantly clad lady on the nose. I also do like the checker tail of the 325th. I noticed in the book "Checkertails they did have one natural metal p-47 in the squadron. but sadly not much for nose art unless I go with a ficticious plane.

What paint did you end up using for the repaint? can I go with something cheaper than Tamiya spray? I do have airbrush and spray guns but I just don't wish to melt my foam that I have worked so hard repairing.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by Tommy D
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,081 Posts
Pat

I used mostly model masters paint on this model. That said the silver is a Tamiya color and I don’t care for it. If not for the fact I was going silver I would have bought some craft paint and just used a foam brush. But from my experience the silver paint when brushed on looks even worse then what I now have.

Remember even foam safe paint such as Testers or Tamiya will still melt the foam if sprayed too close. It’s the propellant that eats the foam.

Like I said before I would be very hesitant to glass the entire plane. There is a LOT of area behind the C of G and it might make balancing it a real chore. I did a few spots on mine but not a lot.

If I had to do it all over again I would go with the olive drab.

I’m satisfied I have hidden most of the deep panel lines.

E-Flite…. Bring along a nice BF-109 next please!!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:44 AM
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytorino
How about a Razorback in Silver??
VERY NICE !
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by royalb
Joined May 2004
64 Posts
le repairs

to add strength to le edge but little wt splice in a carbon rod on le .
royalb is offline Find More Posts by royalb
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by hamza_b
Joined Dec 2004
221 Posts
First of all Pat...man those pics...the plane looked real ugly but i guess you really did a good job there recovering it...

As for a question that i have...can anyone guide me to a tutorial or something for painting on foam?
hamza_b is offline Find More Posts by hamza_b
Last edited by hamza_b; Nov 30, 2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 04:21 AM
Find More Posts by czechyour6
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Maiden of P47 and maiden on video capture and editing, A cheap mini gun and some watered down cheap acrylic paint from the craft store sure works good, then seal it with a matte water based sealer like liquitex matte varnish or similar. Ive got the bottles of paint for as low as 50 cents each on sale! I picked up a 15.00 mini gun from harbor freight online, local one didnt carry that model. Sinkinpat, sorry to see you lost a fight with a fence post, recovery looking good though. I could not find this exact scheme listed, I found checker tails with the banging lu lu cowgirl on the nose that was the closest, and the ME109 in the panthers mouth without the playing card behind it with different colors, but not the same one. Anyone else think these markings are exactly scale?

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1
czechyour6 is offline Find More Posts by czechyour6
Last edited by czechyour6; Dec 01, 2005 at 04:32 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 10:17 AM
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6
Maiden of P47 and maiden on video capture and editing[/url]
Nice landing ! Looks like it came in a little hot. Nice background with the mountains !
Old Dec 01, 2005, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by Pilot44
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6
Maiden of P47 and maiden on video
Can you tell us what prop you are using and GB ratio? Landing was a bit scary. Did the plane tip stall? How did the wing hold up under that stressful landing.

Wow, nice place, your location. The mountains in the background are breathtaking.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44