New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
Build Log
To Build A New Workshop

We're downsizing; moving from a 2200 sq. foot house to one half the size. On the good side, Miss Micki has promised me that the garage is mine. On the bad side, we're working frantically to get the workshop partially framed up before the 31 July closing date on our old home.

Helping us is the fact that our old home is slightly less than 10 miles from our new one; hindering us is the fact that the home we're moving into is a real 'fixer-upper', so I'm going to be doing a LOT of repair work (with the more important stuff -- flooring, roof, etc. -- being done by contractors.

So, I'm going to post on this thread as we get the garage/workshop done! We'll start with a view of the workshop I've developed over the last 21 years.
CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
The first thing I did in the new workshop was power-wash the floors. After that, I painted it.

You see, the sellers painted the whole house beige, to get it sold. Really, beige...with a hint...no, make that a definite statement of pink. To my eyes, it looked like we were inside a giant Band-Aid! So, we got the house painted, and I painted the garage.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
Post-Painting. Used the left-overs from repainting the house, plus some samples gathered whilst deciding what to paint the rest of the house.
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Jul 16, 2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:21 PM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
The target for Friday is for me to assemble the six cabinets making up the base of the workbench, whilst the kitchen renovation folks redo that room. Said cabinets will be used to store stuff whilst the current shelving will get other "house" stuff stuck on it.

After that, I'll create a frame fo the cabinets and hook them together (with a dedicated top) All this will be going on whilst we move (scheduled for 20 July) and sell our old home (set to close on 31 July). Going to be interesting around our home for the next few months!

CD
Old Jul 17, 2015, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,878 Posts
I am going through the same drill. The stuff won't fit either. Have to sell the old house. Got a problem getting a permit to build a new garage at the new place........ Not much flying this year
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jul 17, 2015, 06:07 PM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
Got 4 of 6 ClosetMaid cabinets assembled, then had to run to the Despot to replace a missing pair of drawer glides (credit to Home Depot; they had a guy open a box and pull out the parts I was missing. That box will be marked as missing parts and marked down).

Tomorrow, it's back to the new house to finish assembling the cabinets, put up the airplane racks, then start moving stuff into the cabinets and planes onto the racks.

No piccies today -- Miss Micki mowed the yard and scrubbed the floors whilst I put the cabinets together, then we ran around and got more needed bits from both Lowes and Home Depot.

CD
Old Jul 17, 2015, 07:37 PM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
Rough CAD drawing of my intentions.

Green "1" and "2" are two different Closet Maid cabinets ("1" is drawer and two doors; "2" is 3 drawers).

Plan is for to mount a surge suppressor under the rounded end of the table, linked back to the wall. Vacuum goes in space between end and middle cabinets, with PVC piping to ports for sander/band saw/jig saw.

CD
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,664 Posts
I wish I'd thought ahead to the need for a central vacuum point.

The plan sounds great. Just be sure you use ALL the vertical space as well as you can.

And at this point since the shop sounds like it's well covered and planned I'll just add that you really don't need half of what you brought.

I have no idea what you've already tossed and what you chose to bring but my own experience says you can toss or give away, depending on value, around half of what you thought was worth bringing. I know. Been there and unpacked and gave away the shirt....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by 2michaely
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
180 Posts
Good article on workshop lighting from a woodworking forum; yes, he is recommending a lot of lighting, more than we typically consider.... you can cluster the lighting around key areas and one goal in such areas, apart from "enough" light, is to eliminate shadows:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Shop-lighting

good luck,

Michael
2michaely is online now Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Live long and fly high
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
I wish I'd thought ahead to the need for a central vacuum point.
I have a single vacuum point in my shop..... It's the end of the hose. It only vacuums a single point at a time

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:55 AM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,664 Posts
LOL... funny man

In my new digs I really wanted to avoid stuff that has to be on the floor if I was able to avoid it. So a shop vac connected to a short built in run with a hose to use at a couple of points would have been nice. As it is I've got this old Hoover that sits in one of the foot wells and falls over regularly. Not quite what the vision was for my dream retirement shop.

I gots lots of 'lectrical plugs and even compressed air. Even the trash baskets are built in. I even thought far enough ahead to build a downdraft sanding table to contain the balsa dust. So WHY didn't I remember the DARN vacuum? WHY! ? ! ? ! ?

OK, I'm fine now. It's out of my system..... for the moment at least

On the lighting. Don't skimp. Old eyes need lots of light. And it wants to be well placed. Here's a picture of the metal shop bench and the end to end continuous lighting right over the bench area has turned out to be exactly what the optometrist ordered... I've got the same end to end lighting over the model area and again it's turned out to be just right.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
We moved in yesterday and are in intensive un-packing mode. So, I'm slowly getting the workshop built up. Right now, the side of the garage is lined with shelving units, which were full of boxes from the move. As I get stuff from the shelving placed into my workbench cabinets, I'll be making room for stuff from the kitchen to sit on the shelving (Demolition of the kitchen starts next week!). I was going to use the old kitchen cabinets in my workshop, but after 30+ years of frying and smoking cooks, the cabinets are...well, you can imagine how bad they are!

For lighting, I picked up two 4' LED fixtures from Home Depot. My old workshop had a double fluorescent fixture over the main area, with smaller under-cabinet lights in the most important parts. This time, I'm aiming for more light from the main fixtures and keeping the work area away from wall cabinets.

Coffee break time is over -- back to unpacking!

CD
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,550 Posts
A mild yellow is much nicer than pink! Looks nice!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,878 Posts
Just moved my mill from one side of the shop to the other. Should be sold tomorrow. 3 1/2 hours of sweaty work, and my fingers are raw. That is at the old house still, I have to build the new shop still.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jul 22, 2015, 05:18 PM
Joined May 2005
2,314 Posts
The good part: I hung the rest of the plane racks today, followed by the lights. Just about everything fits well (except for the XP-59); all I need to do now is hang that model, get another shelf put up, finish the workbench top, and do a lot of small cleanup (Pictures shortly).

The bad part: I was backing up my laptop last night when we had a power surge (lights dimmed/brightened/dimmed). Fried the laptop AND the backup...I lost the scaled-up XP-59! Months of work lost. Tried several tricks, but everything comes back showing the drive as blank.

Oh well, time to buy a new computer and decide what I want to draw next (after I finish the workbench!).

CD