SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,364 Posts
It's all good! I fly in wind as well as calm days and the plane still flies the same. If somebody has a gyro failure on a windy day will the plane still fly? I have flown others planes with that stuff as well as expo, and hate it. My friends let me test fly all there planes and know to turn off all that stuff, when I let them try to fly my planes they can't though, I use full throws and fly old fashion with just stick inputs but like I stated, I been flying 35 years ,
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
482 Posts
Of course the plane still flys.

With all gyros you should have it on a switch that has at least 1. gyro off, 2. gyro on. So you can switch it on and off during flight.

For flying w/out a gyro I usually fly with three available rates and change depending on what type of flying I want to do. The rates are low, medium and high (everything I can get) with contrasting expo, of hardly any, medium settings and a lot!

If you can fly a lightweight quality 3D plane like a PA, 3DHS or EF 48" edge/extra/yak (whatever) on full throws (all around 60 degrees) with zero expo then your just a complete and utter legend and I take my hat off to you.

But please don't criticise things you havent experienced!

Oh and buy the way when flying with a gyro of course you use stick inputs, they never fly well without throttle, El, Rud & Aileron inputs I find. Hard to get them to take off for a start!
Flying Fiz is online now Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Jul 27, 2015, 08:30 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,364 Posts
I have a 28 inch wingspan Slick I fly in 10 mph winds no problems with massive throws , I also flew helicopters back in the 80s with no gyros, there wasn't 3D flying back then, just simple circuits. All I was saying is I see where this tech is going and that's cool and I have flown friends, it just takes skill out of it if a gust of wind comes up and gyro does the work of keeping it smooth instead of pilot.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:32 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
482 Posts
So you think its cool, that's fine then!

Oh and BTW no human could make the servo corrections per second that these gyros are capable of with high speed digital servos. You can grab a plane, say one of the little ultra micros with AS3X and shake and roll it back a forth as fast as humanely possible and all of the servos are correcting in every direction in a blur of movement and noise, its just incredible.
So sure you and me make corrections for wind via various stick movements but you can see those corrections and they happen in human time, these gyro servo corrections are made WAAAY faster than any human could and they are so subtle and rapid that your not aware of them, so they give you the feeling of flying without a breeze, but you still have to fly the plane.

I think your missing the point, it doesn't take the skill out, you still need to fly the plane just the same with or without the gyro. If your a good pilot it will look good, if your an ordinary pilot it will look ordinary.

Anyway all I can say is I prefer flying the Beast with a gyro than without. I'm done debating with someone who hasn't flown with a gyro. Also DR & expo is not a gyro or anything to be critical of IMO.

Cheers,
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by voxel
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,933 Posts
If I can't fix some motor thrust or warped wing/surface issue - I give up and throw a gyro in. Gyro can turn a poor flying plane into a 2M pattern ship

I'll probably put a gyro in my Beast because somedays I want to fly with precision and not like a sloppy 3D pilot.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:17 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,364 Posts
Hey, don't take my post wrong, after flying early day helicopters , I bought a Blade CP when they first came out and was amazed what a gyro could do holding tail, and quads with gyros fly just as much fun!
I HAVE flown planes with that system, just to me it seemed to take a lot of skill out of the planes. It does do exactly what you guys say, it smooths out bumps from wind, I just hope guys ween themselves away from using it to much as a crutch. Sloppy 3d is ok as you will learn to be faster and ahead of a plane without the assist. Defiantly don't want to aurgue over this, I DO see its merit.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:50 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
482 Posts
"Sloppy 3d is ok as you will learn to be faster and ahead of a plane without the assist."

Hard to be ahead of a sudden gust of wind you can't see!

When I was landing the Beast there was a cross wind gusting from mild to wild, every time I landed the other 4 planes I was flying that day (w/out gyros) the landings could be treacherous, but with the beast it came down the runway like there was no breeze whatsoever, But you still have to know how to grease a landing and fly it all the way to a perfect landing.

Anyway Lets agree to disagree.

I think they are a fantastic innovation and a bit of fun to play around with, this is supposed to be fun you know. I have a day time profession that I need to maintain and increase my skill set, and I work seriously hard at that, peoples livelihoods depend on me, but this is a hobby - and I don't want to be a professional 3D pilot.

I don't see these as an impediment to learning or increasing your skills, quite the opposite, I firmly believe they assist learning as you can try more moves with confidence, get a feel for it and then not need the assistance of the gyro smoothing it out and helping.

Whilst I only have 1 plane out of 20+ with a gyro, I might, just for fun get another one. I know I'm going to install the Demon Cortex in another plane for next weekend.

Over and out!
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by Sharpedge
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
ESC info

Attached pic contain ESC info pulled out my ESC which provides some interesting numbers. My setup is as follows:
Potenza 60 - 470kv
APC 17x7 prop
CC Edge 100A
Gryphon BEC set @ 8v
Optipower 5000mah 6S 30C packs
Spektrum 5060 Mini HV digital in the wings
Spektrum 6260 HV on Ele and Rud
CoG is roughly in the place directed by manual, field tested with my thumbs.....
Not got any all up weight info yet, still on to do list.

Only the second trip out to the field with the beast and I'm still very much a beginner to the more spirited side of fixed wing flying (usually don't have a motor on them). 5 x packs in total , general flying about in the circuit with a few vertical climb outs and attempts at hovering. In the last couple of packs a more experienced member at the field told me how to do some sort of powered tumble in a climb out. Go vertical at height and pin the sticks at full throttle and left rudder and full up elevator and right aileron. The reaction was spectacular and a little violent to say the least. The prop certainly made one hell of a racket. Did a few more but with less throttle and they still looked awesome. Great fun can't wait for the rain to stop so I can go out again. This is the only hobby that i know of where we spend loads on money on a plane and them attempt to break it apart in the sky (tongue in cheek here )

Pic shows current watts and rpm, I still have the file on the pc and can put in or take out diff combinations if required. Just give me a shout.
Sharpedge is offline Find More Posts by Sharpedge