SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:28 PM
United States, PA, Oil City
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
Discussion
Help with a project- Can it be done?

I would like to take my favorite charger of all time, a novak millenium pro, and charge 1 and 2 cell lipos with it.

Does anyone know where I should start? I realize that this is not going to be a popular project, but is there anyone here with the knowledge to help me out?

Thanks!
hudsonhornet7x is offline Find More Posts by hudsonhornet7x
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:32 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,751 Posts
Kokam used to make several modules called "Safety Guard" for 2S, 3S, and 4S LiPo batteries that was suppose to protect them from getting overcharged, but when connected to a 12v power source or a NiCd/NiMh charger, acted as a LiPo charger itself. While it did not limit the charge current (has to be done from the source, whether PS or a NiCd/NiMh charger), it did limit the appropriate voltage to the LiPo battery, shutting off power to the battery when the voltage limit was reached. They don't make them anymore, but a lot of hobby shops still have them in stock including online stores and even eBay. Just do a search for "Kokam Safety Guard". There are also old posts here on RC Groups discussing these units.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:27 AM
United States, PA, Oil City
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
Thanks! You have a pm by the way.

Ok so the new question is how can a 2s safety guard be modified for 1s use?
hudsonhornet7x is offline Find More Posts by hudsonhornet7x
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:54 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
810 Posts
Use a quality charger that will do the right size of batteries you are using. Almost all that I've seen can charge any pack size. If your charger doesn't then buy a decent one this time and be done with it once and for all.

Lipo fires are real. Please, for your safety and others, do not try to gettorig up some inappropriate charger to charge your batteries.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew