SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2014
17 Posts
Help!
Vector RTH problems on fixed wing

Hello! I tried to test RTH, when plane was 2 km from home position. The nose of the plane was in the opposite direction from home. When I saw RTH engaged on OSD video, behaviour of the plane started to be strange. 2D and 2D with hold modes worked ok.

First the plane rolled left, trying to point the nose to my direction. When the nose was pointing to me, left roll had not stopped but continue to roll left from home direction by 15-20 degrees more. After that the plane started to roll to the right, reached direction to home, continued to roll 5 degrees more. After that left roll started again and missed direction to home 15-20 degrees again. I allowed 5-6 such cycles. As a result RTH path was very curved line that did not lead to home.

Roll limits during RTH set to 40 degrees. Turn gain in advanced RTH configuration is 40%.

I enabled and calibrated compass but it did not help.

What is interesting is that if I try to engage RTH within home altitude radius, which is 700 meters in my case, the plane returns to home.

How can I fix this. Thank you
andriyco is offline Find More Posts by andriyco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:10 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
580 Posts
Hello,

Can you open support ticket and provide your config and log files from a flight that shows this behavior? We should be able to see whats going on from the log files.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2015, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2014
17 Posts
Vector RTH problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET View Post
Hello,

Can you open support ticket and provide your config and log files from a flight that shows this behavior? We should be able to see whats going on from the log files.

Regards, John
Ok, thank you. I opened support ticket.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 08:00 AM
Joined Oct 2013
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriyco View Post
Ok, thank you. I opened support ticket.
did you solve that problem ?
dskoul is offline Find More Posts by dskoul
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:22 AM
Joined Nov 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskoul View Post
did you solve that problem ?
Yes! I got reply from ET support and tested it. See reply from ET and our findings below. Thanks to ET for great support!

After examining the data, what's happening is that your model's speed is repeatedly falling to about 14MPH at cruise throttle, due to inadequate cruise throttle setting. When this occurs, the model begins to stall, and the Vector detects this and recovers by increasing to the "climb" throttle, among other steps.

The simplest solution to this issue is for you to increase your "cruise" throttle setting so that your model will climb gradually without losing a lot of airspeed, when you give slight up-elevator.

And here our findings.​
The amperage on trottle cruising position was measured on the ground. As a result we found out that 38% of trottle which was the setting for cruise trottle position, gives only 3 Amp (with prop installed). For this type of the plane, pilots usually use 7-8 Amp for cruise current. So we found out which trottle position gives us 7-8 Amp and put this setting into Vector during servo wizard.
​In the same way we found out and updated trottle position for climbing.

​Our tests showed perfect results on both planes. RTH path on Google maps was almoust straight, despite of the 4-5 meters per second wind.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
332 Posts
Thanks for the great update to the problem!
Willyspu is offline Find More Posts by Willyspu