United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaut View Post
HobbyKing Sky Eye in a Rocky Mountain valley:

http://youtu.be/twhoe27Bq54

Equipment Used:
Control Radio: Futaba T8J w/ ImmersionRC EzUHF and ImmersionRC EzUHF 8-channel lite receiver.
Video tx: BOSCAM TS353 5.8G 400mW
Video Tx Antenna: BOSCAM IRC - 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Omni RP-SMA Antenna
Flight camera: 600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD
HD Camera: Mobius ActionCam
OSD: ezOSD

Attachment 7561849
I use the Mobius to both record HD and link it to my VTX to send back FPV. I love the Mobius and use it in all my quads also. I am In the process of installing and programming an APM 2.6 to control flight also.
kd4gfy is offline Find More Posts by kd4gfy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2015, 06:42 AM
Canada, BC, Kimberley
Joined May 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwihdrider View Post
New to this thread, made some interesting reading. Up until now have been flying the Bixler 2, has been good aircraft but modified significantly for strength etc , wing one peace, extra CF thru wing, thru tail plane and down side of fuselage.
My question is how robust is the Sky Eye in this regard, has the wing spa been strengthened by anyone. Seriously thinking of getting this model as my son keen to use the Bixler.
Any comments appreciated.
Rod
Its a solid plane for the price. Wings dont need reinforcement, but I would recommend taping up the front part of the fuselage, as the foam is thin there for all the weight it carries.
I've found that this plane doesn't like wind, compared to a bixler sized plane and can get into a nasty spin if you stall it. Counter rudder will pull you out of any spin quickly though. The stock motor is also underpowered for this plane. I replaced mine with a 1400kv.
On the up side, the plane is very stable and very efficient.
psynaut is offline Find More Posts by psynaut
Old Feb 12, 2015, 06:47 AM
Canada, BC, Kimberley
Joined May 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4gfy View Post
I use the Mobius to both record HD and link it to my VTX to send back FPV. I love the Mobius and use it in all my quads also. I am In the process of installing and programming an APM 2.6 to control flight also.
The Mobius is a great camera. This should be a great plane for APM, I'm thinking of installing EagleTree Vector on mine.
psynaut is offline Find More Posts by psynaut
Old Feb 14, 2015, 01:51 AM
Joined Sep 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Which holes on the servo arm&control horn do you guys normally choose (for elevator, rudder, ailerons, flaps)? So it won't be too nervous for a maiden , currently I fly a twinstar2.
It's a plane with LARGE control surfaces. Use the most inner on the servo and the most outer on the horns! Also if transmitter allows add some expo on the aileron and elevator too.
Also be careful not to launch before checking if your controls are ok. When I first plugged it I noticed all my controls were inverted. Would be a sure crash if you launch like that.
psevdopilota is offline Find More Posts by psevdopilota
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:25 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,436 Posts
Dang, now I already chose a certain combo and don't wanna redo it so I won't weaken the linkages too much by undoing it again...I did use the most outer one on the horns, but for the servo side I choose the 2 hole from the top. So it somewhere in the middle regarding sensitivity probably, maybe I'll need to add expo on the transmitter...Yeah I'll make sure the control surfaces are deflecting in the correct directions before flight.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:19 AM
Joined Sep 2014
8 Posts
I'm on the second hole from the inside on the servo and added expo, and still can't get the smoothness of control I desire. Hence the reason for advising everyone to put it on the most inner.
When I first flew mine I decided not to risk expensive stuff (autopilot, fpv) and flew it line of sight. It flew very smooth as seen from aside. But when I put the camera ... just a small correction resulted in 45 deg bank. Back then I was on the middle hole on the servo and second out on the horns.
I guess it's the large surface control surfaces... but on the other hand flaps are a great asset. I haven't measured the deflection I use, but it climbs like mad at a little over half throttle with them. On the OSD it appears something like 2-3 m/s. That lead me to an idea of a video of a climb above the clouds, and I'll make one as soon as the weather clears. And there are some low enough clouds of course.
psevdopilota is offline Find More Posts by psevdopilota
Old Feb 26, 2015, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
27 Posts
Best tape or film to protect and cover foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaut View Post
Its a solid plane for the price. Wings dont need reinforcement, but I would recommend taping up the front part of the fuselage, as the foam is thin there for all the weight it carries.
I've found that this plane doesn't like wind, compared to a bixler sized plane and can get into a nasty spin if you stall it. Counter rudder will pull you out of any spin quickly though. The stock motor is also underpowered for this plane. I replaced mine with a 1400kv.
On the up side, the plane is very stable and very efficient.
Any recommendations of tape/film for covering the fuselage? I've been using both regular and fiberglass reinforced packing tape on other models but I would prefer to have something wide and flexible so that I could avoid dirt getting under the edges of the tape from muddy landings.
markbr is online now Find More Posts by markbr
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM
Greece, Attica, Ellinikon
Joined Jan 2014
597 Posts
Use laminate film.

3mil or 5mil thickness.
giteart is offline Find More Posts by giteart