New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by hodgejr
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
Where to Fly in Broward County?

Hello this is my 1st post here.

I'm looking for tips as to parks or open fields in Broward County where I can launch my plane (this will be my first time at it)

I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL, more specifically, Oakland Park near the intersection of Commercial and I-95.

I'm planning on purchasing a Super Cub LP next weekend. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to launch it. Most of the parks here have trees (good thing I guess, considering how dang hot it is now). I have yet to see any real open spaces around here where I can launch without concern of the cub flying into a tree or structure.

I know there's a professional R/C strip way out west but as a newby I don't want to mix it up with the pros out there, besides, it's a hassle to drive all the way out there.

Any south floridians here that can share a nice open spot? Ultimately, I really want to get the floats kit as there's several nice lakes to fly from, but I want to get practice on land first.

Thanks in advance!

ps. I've posted this same topic in other similar forums so sorry for the deja-vu if there is one!
hodgejr is offline Find More Posts by hodgejr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,303 Posts
Why not just take a drive out in the area and see if there are any farms nearby?

Hayfields are great places to fly, not sure what you have down there tho.

I`m sure there may be one that may give you permission to fly if you ask.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by hodgejr
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parson View Post
Why not just take a drive out in the area and see if there are any farms nearby?

Hayfields are great places to fly, not sure what you have down there tho.

I`m sure there may be one that may give you permission to fly if you ask.
No, no farms where I live, more like, suburban jungle. There are in fact some large fields but quite a drive west of where I live.

This is me...as you can see, the airport is the only clearing around
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...33309&t=h&z=14
hodgejr is offline Find More Posts by hodgejr
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgejr View Post
Hello this is my 1st post here.

I'm looking for tips as to parks or open fields in Broward County where I can launch my plane (this will be my first time at it)

I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL, more specifically, Oakland Park near the intersection of Commercial and I-95.

I'm planning on purchasing a Super Cub LP next weekend. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to launch it. Most of the parks here have trees (good thing I guess, considering how dang hot it is now). I have yet to see any real open spaces around here where I can launch without concern of the cub flying into a tree or structure.

I know there's a professional R/C strip way out west but as a newby I don't want to mix it up with the pros out there, besides, it's a hassle to drive all the way out there.

Any south floridians here that can share a nice open spot? Ultimately, I really want to get the floats kit as there's several nice lakes to fly from, but I want to get practice on land first.

Thanks in advance!

ps. I've posted this same topic in other similar forums so sorry for the deja-vu if there is one!
First of all, are you new to RC, have you ever flown? If not I highly recommend that you hook up with the club listed below. This will make it an enjoyable experience and not like my first 2 times. I came home with a pile of balsa twice!!

PALM BEACH R/C ASSOCIATION
Flying Site Details
12.56 miles from where you are !

WALTER DREYFUS
Email Contact

21512 WOODCHUCK LN
BOCA RATON FL 33428-2620
Phone: 954-481-5327
Visit Website

Have fun with the maiden, happy landings.

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by PapiW
United States, FL, Tamarac
Joined May 2015
10 Posts
That is a good club, and a nice Field. Markham Park is another local area.
PapiW is offline Find More Posts by PapiW
Old May 29, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by Dean Church
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,411 Posts
Almost every club will have an instructor. Most are very understanding of newbie fliers and want to see you be successful..

Save a plane and go find a club close by with an instructor.
Dean Church is online now Find More Posts by Dean Church