Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2005, 07:06 PM
Joined Jul 2005
38 Posts
Whoops!
Help with last few construction steps

Hi,

Can anyone offer me some advice on the last few steps of construction?

I am building a Thunder Tiger Cessna from the mid 80's and the instructions are useless (just 3 pages long) - assuming a lot of knowledge that I don't have. Tailspin90 kindly sent me a similar set of instructions for a similar plane which have helped so far, but I am now a little stuck.

The fuselage, rudder, tail, wings (with servo's installed) engine are all fully assembled, so all I have left to do is assemble the servo's and linkages for the throttle, rudder, elevators and front wheel.

I attach a picture below which show's the parts I have left, but could really do with some advice on how best to use the parts shown. I am particularly stuck on which rods to use where, as none of them are long enough to get to the rudder or elevators, so I assume you need to join them together somehow?

I am not sure how to set up the elevators as the left and right flaps operate separately from each other and have a fixing post each, suggesting I need to run two linkages, one for each. Can you tell me how I link this up to just one servo? Is that what the white pegs are for? If so, how do they work?

There are 2 long balsa wood poles and 2 plastic ones that I can't find any use for at all!

The wood that looks like a servo tray is made of balsa wood and looks like it is designed to take 4 servos. Is balsa wood suitable for mounting servo's in or is it too light? Why would it have space for 4 servo's - am I missing something?

One last question - as the rod for the front wheel is low down at the front of the plane - would I install the servo upside down or just bend it up to the top?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Gino
gino71 is offline Find More Posts by gino71
Last edited by gino71; Oct 01, 2005 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2005, 08:47 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
The two balsa sticks are used to make pushrods for the rudder and elevator. On one end you install the prebent piano wire (this end will go into a servo EZ-connector), on the other end, you install the one with a thread at the end. A clevis goes on the thread. The piano wire at both ends of the stick is held in place with a piece of the white shrink wrap tubing. The wires with the thread and clevises are not precut, you will have to check in the plane to figure out proper length before cutting them to attach on the balsa stick. The two nylon tubes and smaller piano wire pieces are the pushrods for throttle and front wheel of the tricycle. In the servo tray, there is space for the two servos at the back (rudder and elevator), and at the front goes the servo for the throttle. Now because the rudder servo is the same one used for the front wheel, it may also go in front of the tray. The last part (abs plastic with cut parts inside) I have seen in some kits in the past but i can't remember what for.

Here is an assembled pushrod. Make a groove in the balsa stick so the wire holds steady. Wire here are held in place with black thread wrapped around and CA, but you can use the shrink wrap instead.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Last edited by Cubber; Oct 01, 2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 01:05 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
It sounds like the elevator needs a "Y" pushrod, as well. Basically the same as the one you'll make for the rudder, but with two wires coming off one end. They should be the same length, each with a clevis on the end. The other end will attach to the elevator servo.

Good luck!
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Oct 02, 2005, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2005
38 Posts
Thanks both, I'll give that a go...

Gino
gino71 is offline Find More Posts by gino71