HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 12:25 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th View Post
They all look identical until you look at numbers on the chips. In particular, some have the Atmel 8AU and some the Atmel 16AU. I understood that to be a speed rating, and that 8s will often run at 16 but some won't, but that's about as far as I really understand them. I work in the software industry, so I've been looking at the source code (and enjoying it), but I'm a rank amatuer when it comes to electronics. I can wire a house, but I wouldn't know an external oscillator from an extroverted ocelot.

Edit: The FETs all look the same to the naked eye, but the pattern of which legs are bridged is not consistent from one ESC to the next.
Their model number is not related to the speed they run, it's usually an indication of the amount of flash memory they have, ie the atmega8 have 8k flash, the atmega16 has 16k flash, both will run at 16Mhz happily. The external oscillator is the square thing close to the main atmega, usually it'll have 16.0M on it
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 12:55 AM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
428 Posts
Well. There it is.

Sure enough, both are 16.0M. I stand corrected.

So is it reasonable to expect the heat issue to reduce by running it at 8 KHz? Or is that silly?
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th
Old May 04, 2013, 02:53 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,417 Posts
That's beyond my knowledge, the 8khz I believe is how often the ESC updates the motors PWM signal. I guess it could be the solution but I wouldn't want to say for sure, it's a shame you dont' remember what you flashed to the other units
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old May 04, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, UT
Joined Nov 2009
158 Posts
Ok guys, I bought the Turnigy 25A Plush esc's and the Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool and I can't figure this flashing thing out at all. I don't see how this tool will fit the ESC.

So 3 questions:
1 - is the ESC flashable?
2 - is it flashable with this tool?
3 - how?

Thanks a bunch for your help guys! My hexacopter needs help bad, I'm really hoping this works.
rcfan450 is offline Find More Posts by rcfan450
Old May 04, 2013, 07:52 AM
United States, UT
Joined Nov 2009
158 Posts
posting again so I can subscribe....
rcfan450 is offline Find More Posts by rcfan450
Old May 04, 2013, 08:10 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfan450 View Post
Ok guys, I bought the Turnigy 25A Plush esc's and the Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool and I can't figure this flashing thing out at all. I don't see how this tool will fit the ESC.

So 3 questions:
1 - is the ESC flashable?
2 - is it flashable with this tool?
3 - how?

Thanks a bunch for your help guys! My hexacopter needs help bad, I'm really hoping this works.
Well pretty sure new Plush are Silicon Lab MCU's so putting SimonK TGY not going to happen.
All is not lost you can use Skaug blheli firmware and if you own Arduino UNO/Mini Pro or Atmega based FC you could even use that! Olliw has a thread on RCgroups about programmer Here's his site http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/
SadSack is online now Find More Posts by SadSack
Old May 05, 2013, 11:49 AM
MHefny
Egypt, Al Qahirah, Qism El-Nozha
Joined Sep 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
I made a reference diagram for the new Mystery/Hobbyking 30A Blue Series ESCs which I just got shipped from Hobbyking. It is much clearer than the chicken scratch diagram currently available.

The color codes is for connecting the ESC using a custom CAT-6 connectors I made from stuff I had lying around the house. Here is a picture of my completed ESCs and interface cable. Works very well.

The nice thing is that u can ignore VCC & GND and use the external VCC & GND from the signal cable directly instead of soldering two more wires ...
this only works with HK 30A not 20A and not Mystery.
MHefny is offline Find More Posts by MHefny
Old May 05, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined May 2013
4 Posts
USBasp ESC flashing help

Hi i have recently built rchackers mini tricopter found here

i have built it up to the bottom of the page and i am now trying to flash the hobbyking 6a ESC using KKmultiroterflash tool

I have the USBasp driver installed it is picking it up correct in the device manager. i run the kkflash program and follow SimonK ESC firmware flashing HK Blue Series 20A and HK F20A Guide found here

i have done everything it says to flash the esc but i keep getting this error in kkflash below.

Could someone please please help me ive been trying for 2 weekes now to find a solution.

you might have to read through the tricopter build page and then the simon k flash page.

Flash the firmware from repository.
Flashing firmware from file.: C:\Users\NICK\Desktop\USBasp\tmp\bs.hex

C:\Users\NICK\Desktop\USBasp\lib\avrdude\windows\a vrdude.exe -C C:\Users\NICK\Desktop\USBasp\lib\avrdude\windows\a vrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp -B 8 -e -U flash:w:C:\Users\NICK\Desktop\USBasp\tmp\bs.hex:i

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x3c0102
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATmega8 is 1E 93 07
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during writing flash.
nicholas leigh is offline Find More Posts by nicholas leigh
Old May 06, 2013, 12:31 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,545 Posts
Very Strange the device signature is not in any list I know. Can you read the print on the ESC?
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old May 06, 2013, 03:30 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2007
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAdams View Post
I kind of thought the same thing when the first one fried, so I took extra care on insulating my connections on the second and third one. I have taken the motor that the third ESC fried on and have run it on a good RCTimer ESC that I had, and it ran just fine.

I think the next step for me is to try flashing with an older version of the BS NFET firmware. Probably the 6/2012 one.
Very interested in your outcome. I too made smoke. n-fet draws over 11 amps as soon as it is hooked up.
spiked3 is offline Find More Posts by spiked3
Old May 06, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas leigh View Post
avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x3c0102
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATmega8 is 1E 93 07
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Very Strange the device signature is not in any list I know. Can you read the print on the ESC?
I have seen this a lot and it's almost always caused by a bad connection or not enough power to the ATMega. Usually the latter.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old May 06, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Apr 2013
40 Posts
Hello !

I received my ESC ans my little usbasp.
All works fine. I can program my ESC with SimonK firmware.

But I have a little problem with the ESC flash tool by chatch15117.
I can change some setting in the ASM file and then build the hex file but I can't change the setting : MOTOR_BRAKE

If I set MOTOR_BRAKE = 1, the ESC flash tool doesn't build the hex file and doesn't respond.

Do you have any idea ?
WalkOver is offline Find More Posts by WalkOver
Old May 06, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2013
40 Posts
Hello again,

I think I have spotted the problem. I installed AVR studio who report me an error.
At the line 2383 :

set_brake1: cpi temp3, 2 ; Thumb brake
brne wait_for_power_on
ldi YL, 1 << LOW_BRAKE_SPEED
sts brake_sub, YL
ldi2 YL, YH, (LOW_BRAKE_POWER

I don't know if it is what it must be done but I deleted the parenthesis and now :

set_brake1: cpi temp3, 2 ; Thumb brake
brne wait_for_power_on
ldi YL, 1 << LOW_BRAKE_SPEED
sts brake_sub, YL
ldi2 YL, YH, LOW_BRAKE_POWER

AVR studio build now without error and it seems to be working on my ESC.

SimonK, can you confirm it is the right thing to do ?

And I would like to thank you for your job. It works exactly like I wanted to.
Is there a place we can contribute to your job and your time you give us ?

Have a nice day.
WalkOver is offline Find More Posts by WalkOver
Old May 06, 2013, 08:47 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
125 Posts
Hey guys, I got several of these Banggood 30A ESCs laying around. I can't seem to find any info on which file to flash them with. Any ideas??? It has a AtmegaBL 8AU 13060 chip.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-XX...r-p-50621.html
Krash n Burn is online now Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Last edited by Krash n Burn; May 06, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 07, 2013, 06:18 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
im trying to determine if my redbrick 30a can be flashed but im not having much luck finding the info i need. the pads on mine dont seem to match any of the pics people have posted so im a bit unsure whats what. can anyone help please? not attempted to flash an esc before so im kinda winging it and hoping for the best! i have a usbasp already. not entirely sure how to make a connector to fit on the usbasp so was planning on soldering the wires directly to the pins on the usbasp board and then running them to the pads. as long as i can determine which pad is which.
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975