HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Advance
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
gas heli help

ok so im looking at getting a heli again after 8 years of not flying one (had a evo 50 with os hyper 50 )
and i was shocked to see the prices of the new motors and pipes then add fuel and sob ouch not really wanting a ele heli either so that leaded me to my question are there and good gas helis out there with out cutting costing a arm and leg
would like to get a 50 class or 60 i have found some by century but are they and good
not going to be doing any hard 3d flips rolls inverted flying
rhodestimm is offline Find More Posts by rhodestimm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,671 Posts
I have two Century gasser helis. Their older 700 sized Predator that is now 6+ years old and still flying very well and their newer Radikal G20 (thinking of doing their latest G30 TTFB one over the winter).

IMHO, they are the leader in Gasoline powered helis at the moment and all do well.

I do find the bigger Radikal G30 (have flown a good friends many times now) and the Predator which is the same size, as both use 710mm blades, do fly better then the smaller G20 simply due to the disc loading advantage. You will find the same applies when comparing the 50 (600) sized nitors or electrics to their 700 counterparts.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Rafael23cc's Avatar
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
rotoraddict: You need to chill a little, you are starting to sound like a cheerleader for Century. Read closely. He used the term gas helicopter but in fact is asking about 50 or 60 sized nitros.

rhodestimm: Giving us an indication of your budget might help narrow down the options. You could scratch off the 60 size. Very few manufacturers make that size anymore. You are either looking at a 30, 50, 90, gas (gasoline & oil mix) or turbine. You already took out the electrics. Electrics have a much wider selection as far of sizes is concerned.

What happened to your Evo? I still have my Sceadu 50 flying.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Advance
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
when i moved to another state i couldn't fit them in the u haul so had to sell them i loved my evo 50 in fact i found a used one last night im going to pick up this weekend with an extra air frame and lots of other parts with 401 and hyper 50 but was looking for a winter build and was thinking of a gasser not wanting to spent alot of money atm with this being an election year(please dont ask )
rhodestimm is offline Find More Posts by rhodestimm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael23cc View Post
rotoraddict: You need to chill a little, you are starting to sound like a cheerleader for Century. Read closely. He used the term gas helicopter but in fact is asking about 50 or 60 sized nitros.

rhodestimm: Giving us an indication of your budget might help narrow down the options. You could scratch off the 60 size. Very few manufacturers make that size anymore. You are either looking at a 30, 50, 90, gas (gasoline & oil mix) or turbine. You already took out the electrics. Electrics have a much wider selection as far of sizes is concerned.

What happened to your Evo? I still have my Sceadu 50 flying.

Rafael
Good advice relative to his budget, selection, etc.

I assumed he was looking at gasoline powered helis because he stated how shocked he was at the cost of nitro engines and nitro fuel. That seems to be the major reason why fellas are now turning to the 600/700 sized gasoline powered helis now.

As for the Evo Sceadu - I had one for many years and I have to agree, that it was a good solid platform in its day. Unfortunately, like most other 50 sized nitros of that era, they are now far outclassed by the selection of 600/640 sized helis (nitro, electric & gasser) that are available today.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:47 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Advance
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
i have heard alot of mixed reviews on their kits what is your experience with them looking for a gas kit that i dont have to do alot of changes to
rhodestimm is offline Find More Posts by rhodestimm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodestimm View Post
i have heard alot of mixed reviews on their kits what is your experience with them looking for a gas kit that i dont have to do alot of changes to
I found them both to be relatively easy builds. Of course these larger heli are a little more complicated to assemble then where the "plastic fantastics" such as the Evo, Raptor or Raven. This is due to the requirements to properly dial indicate the clutch/fan assembly to minimize any run-out (a requirement on most such bigger helis I have ever assembled) and the requirement to take your time and be sure to properly align the clutch that is attached to the engine on the lower frame, the clutch bell that is part of the upper frame (also worth doing with any of the "plastic fantastics" to insure longer clutch support bearing life spans).

Now it seems they have even made all of this easier with their newer generation of Radikals.

You can get a good idea by checking out Carey Shurley's (a very respected fellow in the gasser heli world) build video on Helifreaks.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=453532
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodestimm View Post
when i moved to another state i couldn't fit them in the u haul so had to sell them i loved my evo 50 in fact i found a used one last night im going to pick up this weekend with an extra air frame and lots of other parts with 401 and hyper 50 but was looking for a winter build and was thinking of a gasser not wanting to spent alot of money atm with this being an election year(please dont ask )
If you're looking for something reliable, not costing an arm of leg, and well built. I have a Miniature Aircraft Excel 60 SE (later model) that I'm thinking of selling. Let me know. Im sure we can work it out.
RC_Nutz is offline Find More Posts by RC_Nutz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hello all I am new to gas planes and I need some help. broncoboy36081 Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 9 Jul 12, 2012 06:45 PM
Help! Need Help Identifying a Gas Plane steve101 Fuel Plane Talk 3 Jun 20, 2012 05:52 PM
Discussion All gas helis can auto rotate....right? 3D-flyer-93 Fuel Heli Talk 12 Jun 04, 2012 08:52 PM
Discussion Please Help where can i fly my 'gas' Heli in Anaheim area in California dollygrip Fuel Heli Talk 1 Sep 27, 2009 12:08 AM
Discussion Help me with my first gas heli. SteveCH Fuel Heli Talk 26 Sep 07, 2006 01:39 AM