SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
hi, i'm having some problem figuring out how the motor mount attaches to the fuse. the mount has two knobs that seems intended to go into the two corresponding holes in the fuse/foam motor cover, but this makes the motor very inaccessable and prop clearance a bit too close for comfort. i'm tempted to glue the mount further back but concerned this could make proper cg difficult.
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
My head in the clouds!
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2014
323 Posts
If the prop isnt rubbing against anything then mount it and fly!
Cyclone Steve is offline Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by Timbo383
I look, listen and learn
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2013
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvwannabe View Post
hi, i'm having some problem figuring out how the motor mount attaches to the fuse. the mount has two knobs that seems intended to go into the two corresponding holes in the fuse/foam motor cover, but this makes the motor very inaccessable and prop clearance a bit too close for comfort. i'm tempted to glue the mount further back but concerned this could make proper cg difficult.
That's pretty much how mine is, and I haven't had a problem yet. You can always try to make two more indents a couple of mm back from the original ones and mount it, let us know if this works for you. I personally think it would keep the motor cooler if it's out more and it might be a little quieter with the prop more away from the foam. you may have to put a bigger bat or add a couple grams of weight up front for your cg When moving the motor back more.
Timbo383 is online now Find More Posts by Timbo383
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by raptor357
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
161 Posts
Motor is pointing down so make sure the mount is installed that way. Thrust angle
raptor357 is online now Find More Posts by raptor357
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
thanks for the replies! i'll glue it down in the pre-molded indents since that has worked for the rest of you. i dont want to make the rig any heavier than necessary.

raptor: the first thing i did was to grind the mount offset flush. all planes ive seen the motor axis goes through CG so i dont understand why they would cant it - downwards! hopefully i wont regret congrats on your 2mile fpv trip, nice video!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by jkishan16
Getting Somewhere :D
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
796 Posts
Update on my wing
After my crash, I had lost the wing tip, today I went full on and cut-off both wing-tips and (equally and evenly ofc) and it flies like a dream :')

Quite a bit more agile and fun than before
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old Mar 22, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
My head in the clouds!
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2014
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Update on my wing
After my crash, I had lost the wing tip, today I went full on and cut-off both wing-tips and (equally and evenly ofc) and it flies like a dream :')

Do you have a pic? Id like to see how it looks with the clipped wings.
Cyclone Steve is offline Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
Old Mar 23, 2015, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by Timbo383
I look, listen and learn
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2013
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Update on my wing

That's great to hear.
Timbo383 is online now Find More Posts by Timbo383
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by jkishan16
Getting Somewhere :D
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
796 Posts
EDIT:
Here they are

They are about 4cm from each side (4cm from the control surface)
It does fly well without hassles as such
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Last edited by jkishan16; Mar 23, 2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by Sefu
Joined Apr 2015
1 Posts
Hi all,

Been reading a lot on this discussion and it has helped me heaps. I have a 3s NCR18650B set up with a 2200kv multistar motor and 12A afro esc. Full throttle only draws 3.8A with a 5 inch prop.

Flies relatively slow (but stable) and you have to work a little to get it up and at a good altitude but the thing flies forever. It can stay up at about 60-70% throttle ~2.5-3A.

I flew the wing every day for a week for about 10 minutes without a recharge and I will try a long endurance flight once I get the HKpilot micro on it very soon.

Waiting on some 6x4 props to get a bit more thrust at the expense of more current but not too much as the NCR batteries can only handle 1C-2C.

This was my first r/c plane and if i had any advice its to get the CG right (bit forward if anything) because if the CG is tail heavy (even slightly) its shocking to control and fly and resulted in a frustrating crash or two for me. As soon as I moved CG forward its so smooth and so much easier for first time pilots to get the hang of and stay long enough in the air to practise and get better.

I use 60% expo for smooth flying and 80% rates. ~10mm end to end on flaps.

After I get the auto pilot working ill be adding the FPV as the HKpilot micro has everything plug and play with a light set up and small surface area. Will be tight fitting everything but hopefully will go well.

My goal is a 1 hour mission as far as I can fly round trip. My tricopter did 7km.

Id like any tips or PID settings with arduplane set up if possible. Thanks!
Sefu is offline Find More Posts by Sefu
Old Today, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by andersonpaac
Joined Nov 2014
30 Posts
Endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383 View Post
That's great to hear.
Hey , I just got myself the z-84 and I'm reading this thread to learn more. What sort of motor/ESC combination would I need for a longer flight? I'm looking at something that's 30 minutes plus!
andersonpaac is offline Find More Posts by andersonpaac
Old Today, 05:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
so, i've finally built and maidened my wing-wing and while it flies *GREAT*, i'm also having some serious heat problems. the two large air inlets on the front underside of the fuse seems useless because there is nowhere for the air to exit in the back - the motor mount wall pretty much restricts all air flow once a motor is mounted on it.

this causes heat buildup, to a lesser degree inside the fuse but especially in the motor, which gets too hot to touch after even fairly docile flying with just a short WOT here and there.

i'm thinking of cutting away as much as possible of the foam surrounding the motor. i'm guessing this is mainly cosmetic anyway? the motor/prop combo has no heat problems at all on other models of mine where the motor is mounted out in the open.
Old Today, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by jhkiom
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonpaac View Post
Hey , I just got myself the z-84 and I'm reading this thread to learn more. What sort of motor/ESC combination would I need for a longer flight? I'm looking at something that's 30 minutes plus!
I can easily get 30 mins out of my setup with the 2900 blue wonder motor, 20A esc, 5x5 prop and 1600mah 2s. With some dynamic throttle management that could be upped by quite a bit more (gliding, it has an incredibly shallow glide slope and can stay airborne for ages without any power).

This has enough power to go vertical and decent wot speed though it can be a lot faster on 3 or even 4s.

I loved my z84 so much I had to buy his bigger brother (fx 61) flying currently and just gettin to grips with the Vector FC.
jhkiom is online now Find More Posts by jhkiom