New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Weight Comparison

Here's a comparison of the weight of the lead ballast ,motor , speed controller. and excess metal that has a total weight of 5.00 ounces that will be replaced by the higher powered motor and 30 Amp ESC that has a total weight of 5.05 ounces.
The stock 3 cell 1300 mah battery is only 10 C that weighs 3.8 ounces and will be replaced by a 30 C - 3 cell 1300 mah battery weighing 3.9 oz. The motor and speed contoller upgrade cost $ 40 (including shipping).
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Apr 01, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2015, 11:20 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Upgrade completed and Flies Very Well

The AUW is 33.25 ounces.
I glassed the main wing and put on 2 1/4" Du - Bro wheels.
With an 8 X 3.8 sf prop , I'm drawing 26 amps on a 3 cell , 1300 mah 30 C battery.
My E- meter showed 260 watts output.
My test flight lasted 5 minutes , mostly in cruise mode half throttle and a short burst of full throttle to perform a hammerhead maneuver.
The total flight used up 940 mah.
I'm very satisfied with the results.
Hope to get many flights out of this plane.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,299 Posts
If I can give you a little tip, the landing gear wire will pop out of the plastic fairings with a hard landing and bend the wire up. Using some very fine wire, I use wire sold for fly tying from a tackle store, lace the gear wire to the plastic fairing. Works wonders, I posted a photo someways back in the thread. I'm up way over 350 flights on my old Cub. Now she is on floats permanently. I still like to fly to fly it occasionally, its a fun little aircraft and for the most part is pretty docile. Just keep the speed up during low altitude turns as it will tip stall in the original configuration without any wing washout. A 9" prop will also give a much needed thrust boost, the ground clearance is sufficient with the larger wheels for a bigger prop. I use a 10 x 5 for float flying. Even with that prop, the 1500 mah packs can give a 10 minute flight with capacity to spare. Have fun!
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:54 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
If I can give you a little tip, the landing gear wire will pop out of the plastic fairings with a hard landing and bend the wire up. Using some very fine wire, I use wire sold for fly tying from a tackle store, lace the gear wire to the plastic fairing. Works wonders, I posted a photo someways back in the thread. I'm up way over 350 flights on my old Cub. Now she is on floats permanently. I still like to fly to fly it occasionally, its a fun little aircraft and for the most part is pretty docile. Just keep the speed up during low altitude turns as it will tip stall in the original configuration without any wing washout. A 9" prop will also give a much needed thrust boost, the ground clearance is sufficient with the larger wheels for a bigger prop. I use a 10 x 5 for float flying. Even with that prop, the 1500 mah packs can give a 10 minute flight with capacity to spare. Have fun!
That's great advice, Thanks! My .46 size Hangar 9 Cub has tip stall characteristics also , so I'm used to watching out for that.
I might add some washout on this little cub later on.