HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Discussion
Aviation Traders ATL-98 'Carvair' (DC-4 Conversion)

Hi

Can anyone please send me a 3-view of this aircraft? Have scoured the 'net and have only came up with a small 3-view,no sections,and doesn't 'look right'

I remember this plane as a kid,flying low over my house,on finals,doing so on a regular basis.
Ugly? Maybe,but I like it very much,mainly for nostalgic resons,as the conversion was carried out in Southend (where I live) and beleive was designed by Freddy Laker,who started cheap flights accross the Atlantic in the 70's.

I want to design a build from traditional methods (balsa) will power with 4 x outrunners,and will feature retracts (Spring Air mini trikes) and flaps,with an opening frontal door,used to allow cars in/out,for battery access in this case!

Was named 'Carvair' (cars via air)

I have the NACA root and tip sections,but need a drawing with fuse formers etc.Even a DC-4 3-view would be great,so PLEASE can anyone help?
Would be great to see this machine float through my local skies once more.

Here are some pics:

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:34 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
More...
DC-4 and 6 look very similar?

Thanks,

Matt
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing Matt. Pat Tritle makes a DC-6B kit, I think that Charlie cuts is too, so it should be nothing short of amazing. I think you could mod his DC-6 into a Carvair with little difficulty.

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:04 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Matt, I've got some DC-4 drawings but it will take some time to find them all. Can't remember if I have anything on the Carvair but the colour drawing you posted looks pretty good anyway... use the photo with the nose door open & I think you could do better than most published drawings.

The DC-4 & 6 are very similar. The wings are the same. Differences are engines, fuselage length, vertical & horizontal tail surfaces, & nose shape. The DC-6A/B models are longer than the DC-6. The DC-4, 6, & 7 all have the same fuselage section.

Turning Pat's DC-6 into a Carvair would be as simple as adjusting the fuselage length & making a new nose & fin. The Carvair fin is unique although it looks quite similar to the DC-6.

In the early 80s I lived under the western approach to East Midlands airport & very occasionally saw a Carvair, probably positioning for charters as it always seemed to be empty.

Rich

edit: The fuselage sections on that DC-6 drawing look a bit off to me.
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:08 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
Don't forget oval windows on the DC-4 and (more or less) square windows on the DC-6. Also, Sir Freddy Laker, developer of the Carvair, passed away a week or two back.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks guys-

Rich,it would be very much appreciated if you could scan the drawings for me,would help a lot.

Thanks again

Matt
Old Apr 15, 2006, 09:48 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
975 Posts
Matt, no problems. I'll pm you when I get the drawings together.
Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:36 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Thanks Rich, will look forward to that-am looking forward to getting started on this project!

Cheers,

Matt
Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:43 PM
U.K.
Joined Jan 2004
59 Posts
DC6 in the U.K.

Hi Matt

Did you know that Air Atlantique are operating at least one DC6 from Coventry Airport. Particularly relevant to you, they are going to be at the Southend Airshow this year. URL below

http://www.airatlantique.co.uk/

regards,

Brian

p.s Fournier is still flying well!! upwards of 50 flights now.
BrianS is offline Find More Posts by BrianS
Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:55 PM
northampton, England.
Joined Oct 2000
681 Posts
I spent many happy hours around Southend airport whilst staying with my grand parents in summer hols from school :) I destincly remember the roar of them doing circuits whilst lying in bed at night and watching them come in low over the sea front on their way back from france. It has long been a wish to have an r/c Carvair. Maybe if you sort some plans out we could do a `Fat Annie` and a `Fat Albert` or even maybe a `Porky Pete`! What sort of span were you looking at........nothing too small i hope, anything over 70" would be good............Martin
kartman24 is offline Find More Posts by kartman24
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:16 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Am looking at using 4 x GWS 3 blade props 9x7,I guess at a span of 70 odd inches or so.Will feature a very light built up structure using trad methods,will be great to see one in the sky once more!
Still in the early planning stages,but think it will be a fairly uncomplicated build.Used to see them so much in the past,but believe there is one still flying abroad somewhere and another being rebuilt to flying condition.

My earliest memories of aviation centered around this machine and my well have aroused my interest in the beginning.
Martin I echo your memories,and would be great to see some others being built too.

Would be really cool to use the sound system John Rasnson is using too,that would be the icing on the cake!

Anyway,better get the drawings done first.

Any input here will will be welcome.

Matt
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Apr 17, 2006, 04:55 AM
northampton, England.
Joined Oct 2000
681 Posts
Echo the sound system thought, all you would need then would be all the smoke from the engines on start up! No jokes on frying Lipo`s please...........Martin
Old Apr 17, 2006, 07:08 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Carvair sounds very interesting plane to me as well, i always looked it as 747 of classic years!, it very interesting looking plane, i tried to find plastic model of it long time ago but coulden't, anyhow those days are gone now.
There are few distintive structurial differences between the two, first of all length of DC4 is shorter on 4 then 6, windows were sort of horizontal oval type, nose section is slighly shorter, vertical stab is shorter and profile is different on top of fin, H-stabs are shorter in span, now these are the differences of Pax version!, as for Carvair , i bet they used DC6's tail plane and engines to conpensate for weight and stability for airflow due to 747 type hump on forward fuselage....these are my own observations on Carvair, they may not be 100% accurate this way, checking out drawings would be better to do accurate model.....

Post pictures as you progress and start building airframe for all of us to see.

Cheers,
Sammy
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:10 AM
northampton, England.
Joined Oct 2000
681 Posts
Here is a good Carvair web site you may have it, well worth a look:-
http://www.geocities.com/anjapaul/
............Martin
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:48 AM
northampton, England.
Joined Oct 2000
681 Posts
I have a fantastic video download of a Carvair on the move but i cannot post it here as the file is too large, any ideas............Martin