HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:22 PM
Joined Jul 2010
22 Posts
Question
Advice for flying Auto-G2?

Hi - My Auto-G2 is just about patched up and ready to be re-maidened. Can I please get a list of tips for flying her? I ask because I have read some conflicting advice, like "flat turns" but"don't give her rudder before banking." And then, ominously, "but don't bank too much."

Also, it making a right turn guaranteed death?

Thanks for your advice.
crashmore is online now Find More Posts by crashmore
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2010
22 Posts
Huh. Nothing. I kind of expected that, autogyros being a pretty specialized niche, AG guys would jump in to help new folks. Not the case here, apparently. Maybe the community (such as it is) is scratch builders with little interest in ARF stuff (or ARF fliers)? (Maybe the fact that the forum name is spelled wrong should have been a tip-off? )
Last edited by crashmore; Oct 18, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2014
39 Posts
well I saw you post, but since my has self deconstructed on three occasions ( once before it even went outside ...yeah brain lock on the kitchen counter......).I have nothing constructive to add.... was kinda of waiting on you to figure it out and then I was going to follow your lead
Greywuuf is online now Find More Posts by Greywuuf
Old Oct 18, 2014, 03:44 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmore View Post
Huh. Nothing. I kind of expected that, autogyros being a pretty specialized niche, AG guys would jump in to help new folks. Not the case here, apparently. Maybe the community (such as it is) is scratch builders with little interest in ARF stuff (or ARF fliers)? (Maybe the fact that the forum name is spelled wrong should have been a tip-off? )
A rather unkind quoteas the community (such as it is) is very very helpful
Have you read the thread about the Auto G? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759474
Most questions and answers are there
If you have any specific questions I'm sure the answer will be given
The Auto G can loop roll do reversals land with zero air speed fly backwards in a wind turn left and right and probably a lot more
You can also come and visit me and I will give you Autogyro flying lessons or you can pay my expenses and I will travel to you and teach you how to fly your Auto G
Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Oct 18, 2014, 04:06 PM
United Kingdom, Ollerton
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmore View Post
Hi - My Auto-G2 is just about patched up and ready to be re-maidened. Can I please get a list of tips for flying her? I ask because I have read some conflicting advice, like "flat turns" but"don't give her rudder before banking." And then, ominously, "but don't bank too much."

Also, it making a right turn guaranteed death?

Thanks for your advice.
I echo Joes comments
Giving some RC background would be a good starting point .If your model turns hard right then you could have missed the well publicized error in the instructions .Looking from the back with the radio on and linked the rotor should tilt slightly to the left...not to the right! This is the first thing to check.
Tom Wright is online now Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:45 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,150 Posts
My tip would be to do a little bit of research on this very helpful forum, maybe before criticising.

All been written before, any question which you may have and more, you just have to take the trouble to look.
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:54 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
Short Video of me having fun at the RC Hotel with the Auto G
Joe

Auto G test 1 (4 min 38 sec)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:28 AM
United Kingdom, Ollerton
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Hey Joe

It looks like that model might have belonged to a student that came to you for help, its has got a replacement motor and possibly none HK blades. The instant fall off trim comes as standard on the later models

Paul

As you quite rightly say a quick glance down the Autogyro thread page will reveal Dedicated Auto G threads that can be accessed in seconds. Starting sub threads should not be necessary , but irrespective of this the guys have stepped up but the OP has not come back.

All

The Auto G uses a relatively heavy motor, this should be taken into account if a replacement none stock type is fitted. The model has a marginal hang angle so lighter motors could result in some hard to manage flying characteristics.

Tom.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:49 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Wright;29722355]Hey Joe

It looks like that model might have belonged to a student that came to you for help, its has got a replacement motor and possibly none HK blades. The instant fall off trim comes as standard on the later models

Tom it is a replacement motor after the original burnt out after many hours flying
The blades are HK C30 with a single bolt fixing
It did belong to Ray a guest who left it with me
Joe
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:37 AM
United Kingdom, Ollerton
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Joe

I did wonder if they were C30 blades just because they were silver , a great example of a practical mod combined with the single bolt blade fix that much improves the durability. My Auto G is fitted with a set of single bolt AJ 450s trimmed down to suit

Tom.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus View Post
A rather unkind quoteas the community (such as it is) is very very helpful
Have you read the thread about the Auto G? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759474
Most questions and answers are there
If you have any specific questions I'm sure the answer will be given
Hi Joe - I have read the Auto-G threads--everything I can find on the Auto-G, actually, including lots of videos.

My original post at the top of this thread was a request for clarification of seemingly conflicting advice, and a request for additional information:
"I ask because I have read some conflicting advice, like "flat turns" but "don't giver her rudder before banking. And then, ominously, "but don't bank too much." Also, is making a right turn guaranteed death?"
(I asked the second question because I had read that left turns were easier, and in videos just about all I saw was left turns, so I was also looking for some perspective on just how difficult/dangerous right turns were.)

As for "very very helpful," I posted two AG noobie posts, which got lots of views but no answers. (In fact, even after all responses in this thread, still no one has answered the two questions above about flat turns and right turns.) But no matter; I'm getting it figured it out on my own with just a couple of broken props as the price of admission. (This thing has interesting flight characteristics, and it's a lot faster than I expected)

Thanks, and happy flying.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:02 PM
Joined Sep 2014
39 Posts
I managed to destroy my blades after only one real flight attempt despite using only one bolt and having them mount rather loose.....i attribute it to the cold (below freezing temps....and the crash of course) and a. smallish flight field....had me turning before I really had things sorted.....it is rather faster than I was prepared for and I don't know if it was numb thumbs, something I did wrong....control over center or the esc lock thing that has been talked about......but mine turned left but would not roll back untill after I completely chopped power... Then as I had a LOT of right roll input it did a millitary break over dive ( from about 10 feet) into the ground. Much to repair and ponder and fine tune.
Greywuuf is online now Find More Posts by Greywuuf
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywuuf View Post
Much to repair and ponder and fine tune.
If you're having problems, it must be because you just haven't taken the trouble to absorb all of the accumulated wisdom here. Remember: all has been written before, any question which you may have and more, so please don't trouble the important people here with beginner questions! (And please don't start new threads!)

There! Now you're all fixed up and ready to fly! You're welcome!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:20 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
971 Posts
:d:d:d
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Oct 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:13 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,150 Posts
Someone once told me that it is the lowest form of wit…………………
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB