SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:07 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
I did not use the wood that came in the kit or at lest 60% of it. I found the lightest peces for for fuze LE &TE spar and so on. buy light wood.
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post

So what do you think... is this a good choice for motors??

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-E-645.htm
Should lift it just fine. I did a GL with a Park 480 and it took off like a rocket ship.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime360 View Post
I did not use the wood that came in the kit or at lest 60% of it. I found the lightest peces for for fuze LE &TE spar and so on. buy light wood.
Mine was a ARF so not much choice.. but it does glide VERY well. I might even a dd a little MORE nose weight so it penetrates a little better..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Should lift it just fine. I did a GL with a Park 480 and it took off like a rocket ship.
Wow 480 thats crazy did you mount it TO the fron or did you mount it INSIDE the front ?? I am thinking easiest is just cut the nose off, replace the "nose cone" with a piece of ply wood and attach the motor directly to that.. simple but a little ugly..
metalwizard is online now Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Mine was a ARF so not much choice.. but it does glide VERY well. I might even a dd a little MORE nose weight so it penetrates a little better..

Wow 480 thats crazy did you mount it TO the fron or did you mount it INSIDE the front ?? I am thinking easiest is just cut the nose off, replace the "nose cone" with a piece of ply wood and attach the motor directly to that.. simple but a little ugly..
I put the plywood firewall on the front, reversed the shaft in the motor, and put the motor inside. The prop spinner then becomes the new nose cone. I now have a Super Rieti that I am going to set up the same. Power 15 I think for that.

480 was more motor than it ever needed.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I put the plywood firewall on the front, reversed the shaft in the motor, and put the motor inside. The prop spinner then becomes the new nose cone. I now have a Super Rieti that I am going to set up the same. Power 15 I think for that.

480 was more motor than it ever needed.

Cool That should work out NICE.. maybe a 2200 pack int it and away we go!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
Motor should be here tomorrow I cant wait!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,566 Posts
You're gonna love having a motor. I had a Hi-Start back when I did the same as you, built a GL to get back into RC after a few year hiatus. They work but are basically a pain in the butt. Used a winch a few times when I belonged to a club that was big into flying at the sod farm. They work pretty nice but are not always practical if you share the field with powered. I still have a long-shaft Ford starter that I meant to make one from.

With electric motor you can launch her just about anywhere!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:58 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I set up my buddies kit gentle lady with a park 480 swinging an 11x6 folder w/ a 1800mah 3 cell. As already said its a vertical climber. Fun to watch it climb haha. Got the same motor in my 100" bird but with an 11x8 and its perfect.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
WEll guys you are TOTALLY right. got the motor on her. 450 slow fly from heads up rc 18 amp esc, 2200 11.1 lipo and 11x6 folding prop. and it balances PERFECT! no more added weight!

Flew it on sunday first flight I had about 30 mins in the air and brought it in just to check on things... STILL had plenty of battery left threw her back up for another 30 or so mins till I ran out of juice.. finally brought her in and Screwed up the landing.. DOH.. turned into the wind that was a little bit to much and stalled it.. ARRGH no bigge broke the motor mount I made out.. went home glued it back in added a little extra ooomph and epoxy to it and shes back in the air!

did you guys vent the body to let air in to cool the esc?? I have four small holes that are basically the corners of the body that dont get covered by the round spinner. then I opened a little hole about 1/2" wide and an inch long under the wing on the bottom of the fuse.. dont know that I need it.. but cant hurt..

Oh and she climbs like a Bat out of heck WOW I am happy!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Good to hear the setup is working good for you. Here's what I did for my windsurfer 100. 2 holes partially covered by the spinner plus entry and exit vents in the hatch cover. Just make sure theu dont interfere with the stuff inside.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre View Post
Good to hear the setup is working good for you. Here's what I did for my windsurfer 100. 2 holes partially covered by the spinner plus entry and exit vents in the hatch cover. Just make sure theu dont interfere with the stuff inside.

Nice thats similar to what I have in mine... I think I am good to go!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,566 Posts
Quote:
....did you guys vent the body to let air in to cool the esc?? I have four small holes that are basically the corners of the body that dont get covered by the round spinner...
That's basically what I did. Always nice to have some airflow over the E-Motor and ESC. Sometimes it does not take very much to make a big difference.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,837 Posts
I think the Gentle Lady is an excellent candidate for a motor in the nose. Mine always had a heavy nicad in front (for the past 25 years or so that I've had the plane), so yes, you have to balance it. I don't think the ARF will come balanced for you. They leave that up to you.

I think I will end up putting a motor on mine too, but if I do, it'll be a power pod over the wing.
In fact, I've been thinking about making a universal power pod for my gliders, that can sit on top of the wing.

And to answer the question by metalwizard, yes, I always do try to get some kind of venting to my ESCs. It's cheap insurance, so why not? You can either cut a NACA style port into the fuselage or mount a scoop or something. Just remember, if you have vented air coming in, you should also have a way for it to get out.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:27 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
Nice

I told you Motor = more fun and more flight time . I use a 3s1300 nanoteck 45/90C I set he up a little tail heavy so she would show me the thurmals better.
I also have a passerX WOW to much fun . Moter gliders all the way.
Ok and a few DLGs
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
THose are SWEET.

I'l try and get a picture this weekend.. taking a photo in my cluttered garage wont do so well LOL

I have a 2200 3 cell in mine.. the 1300 I had was justa little underweight and since the 220 worked I figured WTH..