HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Build Log
Gentry Eagle by MRP NIB build and upgrade

I make no promises on my build speed but I would like to share with you what I am currently working on. I was able to acquire a basically new in box Gentry Eagle made by MRP sometime in the 90ís. I actually got it from another RCG member. Unable to find much information or photos of a kit or completed model I am taking the plunge and sharing what I have. My hope is it will help someone else looking for or working on a similar project. Any and all hints, tips, and ideas are welcome. Itís not my first time at the rodeo but many of you are on a level of skill and knowledge I can only imagine aspiring to.

I will start with the tear down; the kit is styrene and the glue quite old which made separating the deck and hull relatively easy using patience, a screwdriver and scraper. The hull was stripped of all factory glued parts except the transom doubler.

Photos of what I was left with and descriptions are below.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
I'm watching this build.
you are watching them all
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
What motors are you going to put in it?
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:16 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky1dk View Post
you are watching them all
I have no social life.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:12 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,608 Posts
If I had a TR like that I'd be cruising Fresno's strip looking for some social life!
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:43 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I don't want to highjack this thread, 108 today to hot for cruising.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:42 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,106 Posts
No social life is good for buiding models though.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
kcal type in on Google Images Mrp Gentry Eagle
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
I think the best scale speed motors are two Traxxas spartan motors
Last edited by 6789boat; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts

I am trying to go brushless in this one and Lipo/triple motors with struts on the outside (not prototypical and a surface drive in the middle prototypical). I have totally checked out the Gentry Eagle many times online, an awesome boat really and very historic, but it is hard to find pictures on the radar mast that are halfway decent and it seems to change regularly through time. I am having the same issue with the stern deck, so I suppose I am kind of winging it and doing the best I am able. If you have pictures, thoughts, or anything to add please let me know.

Hermill Jerome and Miller,

Sorry Miller but I had an 81 fuel injected TR-7 that leaked oil like a sieve and had stylish louvers that allowed to oil to blow on to the windshield as I was driving top speed with the top down at 55MPH. She finally skipped the timing chain AFTER I paid $250 for a new starter 1991! Similar to Jaguars, beautiful to look at and very stylish but… Uncle had a TR-3 and he and my mother left me asleep and alone under the tonneau cover in the car port in Florida at about 5 years old. Suddenly my relationship with Triumph motor cars is much clearer to me; I thank all of you for that. Oh the English joke was “in England most folks in similar cars wave at one another, Triumph owner’s wave warranty cards”
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Oh yeah this is what I am trying to achieve but about 115í shorter, again thank you all.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Good looking boat, should have got a 6.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
So here is where I am at this week/weak, I have included the adhesive arsenal in case you wondered what I chose. This week I completed and fit the wheelhouse roof and radar array/arch it is now glued as I tend to over-sand styrene and there is a definite technique there. All of the attached brass supports are glued and pegged where necessary, I also used scrap and spare styrene to cover the openings and create a more prototypical mast. Based on my photographic research on the web this is what I came up with but as mentioned things most definitely changed over time.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
I have included a picture of the back of the radar tower as I enclosed it and filled in the supports. I have also repaired the bow damage on the deck and included photos of the way I repaired it. I also enlarged the rear hatch to make access easier. Below are photos of where I am at and thanks for looking.

What would you all recommend as far as a price for selling all of the old hardware, motors, and rudders as a package?
Last edited by Kcal; Sep 03, 2012 at 08:03 PM.