HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
J,
IMU=Inertial Measurement Unit and yes the calibration for the FF auto-level/accelerometer.
Yes my results are after doingr both RC and IMU calibrations. Your numbers are what I would expect. Not sure what is causing my display results to be so strange, but as I say it flys OK. I will try calibrating it with a different Tx/Rx and see if the ranges produce proper range readings. I suspect it is a bug in the firmware that is loaded on mine too, so I will update it and see if that changes the results. It otherwise ain't broke so I have not felt the need to spend time to fix it
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
Jim, you mean after RC calibration right?
IMU cal is for auto level i thought, btw what is the meaning of the abbriviation IMU ( i know one acronym it means I Miss You )
i have a Spektrum DX6i
all sticks going approx. from -128 to +128

you say: It sounds like you now have proper results so that is good
i think also i have proper results , now waiting for better weather
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 25, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
J,
IMU=Inertial Measurement Unit and yes the calibration for the FF auto-level/accelerometer.
Yes my results are after after both RC and IMU calibrations. Your number are what I would expect. Not sure what is causing my display results to be so strange, but as I say it flys OK. I will try calibrating it with a different Tx/Rx and see if the ranges produce proper range readings. I suspect it is a but in the firmware that is loaded on mine too, so I will update it and see if that changes the results. It otherwise ain't broke so I have not felt the need to spend time to fix it
Cheers,
Jim
Before i flew my QuadX copter with a KK board (for me it was not stable enough) and now used the FF board.
Well i put the props on and tried in the living room to see what it does.
But no success.
I tried the functions just when it will lift off, backwards/forward act normal
roll left/right seems that left has more effect then right.
But the copter keeps turning left , rudder to the right has no effect, rudder to the left it turns faster left.
And i have bad throttle response, almost full throttle then it will just lift

note: on KK board i had an ESC calibration , on FF is there no ESC calibration or is that done during RC calibration?
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Last edited by jaccies; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
FF yaw issues and mechanical neutral stability setup 101

J,
Yep. The KK can actually be pretty stable too with proper setup, but not as stable with longer hands off hover as the FF with the accelerometer.

The ESCs require a manual calibration and proper setup:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post20425496

The manual throttle calibration is done by either individually connecting the ESC to your Rx channel 3 and with props off for safety, powering your ESC and then putting your Tx throttle in the full up position, turning on your Tx, wait for the beep, then put the throttle full down and wait for confirming beeps. Do this for each. You can also do them all at once by making a simple connector board like this from the ESC section in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index: --TIP 3: Make a simple header PCB to throttle calibrate all the ESC's at once; by Whitespy: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=678

A similar yaw issue and solution was discussed earlier. It is likley your problem is somewhere between a mechanical neutral stability setup or a PID adjustment for your model, or both. Here are some links to try. Let us know how it goes

-- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=732

-- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=734

-- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=764

-- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=768

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Before i flew my QuadX copter with a KK board9 for me it was not stable enough) and now used the FF board.
Well i put the props on and tried in the living room to see what it does.
But no success.
I tried the functions just when it will lift off, backwards/forward act normal
roll left/right seems that left has more effect then right.
But the copter keeps turning left , rudder to the right has no effect, rudder to the left it turns faster.
And i have bad throttle response, almost full throttle then it will just lift

note: on KK board i had an ESC calibration , on FF is there no ESC calibration or is that done during RC calibration?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 21, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
284 Posts
I just received my new Quad with Freelight controller and cannot get it to calibrate. I have a Walkera 2801 Pro receiver ( and 2801 pro radio ) and have cables in as follows:

Freeflight controller 2801 Pro Rx
Aileron > Aileron channel
Lift and down > Elevator
Accelerograph > Thro
Heading Direction > Rudder
Calibration > Gear

When I attach the battery I get the blue light on the controller and the green light stays solid, but when I move the sticks around ( to calibrate the green light does not go out to confirm calibration. I have made sure that the throttle stick is at its lowest position when I finished moving the sticks.
I have not connected the controller to the PC yet as I thought it was plug and play.

Can someone tell me the correct way to get the controller to calibrate with my set up?
Thanks
scoby1 is offline Find More Posts by scoby1
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Why you think I have 1.23? I think I see 1.22 in PC app when connected.

Anyway, you were most probably right. The plywood was a bit twisted and motors are not perfectly straight. It is not bad but, as you said, "it is only a hair of a change in tilt". So I'll play with it and I believe it will work when I fix this.
Alek

you had problem that quad yaw was turning left and you had almost no response on right yaw.( i have same problem)
was this yaw problem caused by the frame twisted and motors not straight?

you changed also PID values i have read to get more yaw response , did you do this with PID_for_1.22c program or PID_for_1.24 version?

thanks
Jac
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Some first experiences with camera stabilizator, I set the gain too high and it is a bit nervous...

Quadrocopter with Free Flight FF Auto Balance Controller (5 min 1 sec)
alek3d is offline Find More Posts by alek3d
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Alek

you had problem that quad yaw was turning left and you had almost no response on right yaw.( i have same problem)
was this yaw problem caused by the frame twisted and motors not straight?

you changed also PID values i have read to get more yaw response , did you do this with PID_for_1.22c program or PID_for_1.24 version?

thanks
Jac
My motors were not straight. Looks like even tiny deviation can cause problems with yaw. Neutral stability check and fix helped. Regarding PID values I loaded 500 mm defaults I just changed Yaw_Stick to 35 (default is 10 or so...). It now flies ok for me.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoby1 View Post
I just received my new Quad with Freelight controller and cannot get it to calibrate. I have a Walkera 2801 Pro receiver ( and 2801 pro radio ) and have cables in as follows:

Freeflight controller 2801 Pro Rx
Aileron > Aileron channel
Lift and down > Elevator
Accelerograph > Thro
Heading Direction > Rudder
Calibration > Gear

When I attach the battery I get the blue light on the controller and the green light stays solid, but when I move the sticks around ( to calibrate the green light does not go out to confirm calibration. I have made sure that the throttle stick is at its lowest position when I finished moving the sticks.
I have not connected the controller to the PC yet as I thought it was plug and play.

Can someone tell me the correct way to get the controller to calibrate with my set up?
Thanks
connect controller to the PC , and you can see all stick response, RC calibrate and IMU calibrate.
may be you need to reverse aileron, elevator, rudder channel , you can easily see that in the software GUI
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
My motors were not straight. Looks like even tiny deviation can cause problems with yaw. Neutral stability check and fix helped. Regarding PID values I loaded 500 mm defaults I just changed Yaw_Stick to 35 (default is 10 or so...). It now flies ok for me.
what version PID software did you use Alek ?

I flew before this QuadX with KK board, had no yaw issues.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,239 Posts
Quote:
what version PID software did you use Alek ?

I flew before this QuadX with KK board, had no yaw issues.
Found in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=709

Run program, open appropriate COM port (where your board is connected), then load presets by clicking the button with approximate size of your quad (mine 500 mm), then change whatever values you want, perhaps Yaw_Stick, then click Send, and then Save Data. You will get strange alerts like "!!!?" but that was said means "OK" in Chinese or something like that. There is no way to load the PID values from your board, this is one way communication so perhaps make a note on paper about your latest settings.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:00 PM
Flying Like Evil
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Garons
Joined Oct 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoby1 View Post
I move the sticks around ( to calibrate the green light does not go out to confirm calibration. I have made sure that the throttle stick is at its lowest position when I finished moving the sticks.

Thanks
Throttle stick has to be HIGHER position when finished moving sticks then switch off Channel Five and then push down throttle stick......
C team MOD is offline Find More Posts by C team MOD
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
Chris, heliaddiction confirmed
Australia, NSW, Orange
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
great help TC... thanks heaps ... I knew I saw that info somewhere.. just could not find it..

I re-flashed the Ff board as described.. and it is now all working again.. so thanks very much mate !!

The Gui does not respond like it used too... in that the graph and sticks do not move anymore.. and I have tried several version that I have... however, even though it does not respond properly, it does seem to actually work ok..
I noticed that the greeh LED on the USB-Ser device only flashes in one deirection now.. not both... but stil lit seems to work..

The throttle type was set to12C after the re-flash.. and when I changed it to PWM it was all good and the Board now ARMs..

I recalibrated and re-reset the IMU and it just took a tiny bit of trim ot get it hovering nice and stable..

I have the 3D function setup on my Gear Switch, so will try that out when I can get to a bigger flying area.. and the no wind..

I am quite happy with the performance so far of this DJI/FF combination, even though the DJI frame is a bit smaller than my first Quad.. which was based on the 550 flying robot folding frame.. The DJI seems to be more stable.. with the motors in a bit closer..

Thanks again TC and others for your help.. I am a bit better with the flashtool now, and I have the fly_122c_patch version loaded.. which I presume is the latest version ??

can anyone tell me how to find out the firmware version loaded on any given FF board ?? I presume I could download the loaded version and examine some specific bytes using a text editor , to tell what version ?? or is there some easier way to detemrine the loaded version in a FF board. ?

reason I ask is that I have amate who has just bought one, and I want to help him setup, but not sure which gui verson , etc to load for him..
chansen1953 is offline Find More Posts by chansen1953
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
British Columbia, Canada
Joined Jul 2009
284 Posts
Quote:
connect controller to the PC , and you can see all stick response, RC calibrate and IMU calibrate.
may be you need to reverse aileron, elevator, rudder channel , you can easily see that in the software GUI
I have connected the controller to the PC and calibrated it,tested the motors via my radio and everything seems ok.
My only problem now is how do I start the board, I have followed the the start procedure,ie push throttle stick to max then rudder left etc. but the green light does not come on to confirm my stick inputs.

Any ideas? Video links?

Thanks
scoby1 is offline Find More Posts by scoby1
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
You can just upgrade to latest on a non-bricked board, just make sure to set the only clear used blocks check box in flash tool. I don't think there is a reliable way to tell the version...
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:17 AM
Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
721 Posts
Hi,

Just upgraded to V1.24, it wasnt difficult as long as you follow the instructions, reason i upgraded was twofold.
One i didn't like the possibility of accidental disarming and with V1.24 its almost impossible and two, the PID tool is in english.

Ok so i am used to playing with PID's as im coming from multiwii so the Roll and Pitch PIDs are straight forward, just have to get used to a different scale of numbers. I presume YAW_P and YAW_D are to lock the tail in, But what is R_P_Stick_P and D and Yaw stick.

Ray starting to have fun now
whiteturbo is offline Find More Posts by whiteturbo