HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2010, 04:25 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,186 Posts
Discussion
Soaring in South Carolina?

Anyone soaring down here? I am looking to move and would like to meet up with a club.

James
hohensej is online now Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:43 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Where in South Cackalacky are you? There is a new club in the Lancaster area which has just finalized approval to use an old landfill for their flying field. 10+ acres sloping down into the direction of the prevailing winds.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=5000

You can also search for clubs in your area.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:36 PM
Charlotte, NC - USA
Joined May 2004
209 Posts
James, where in SC are you looking to move to?. We have a club in York SC.
http://www.yorkcountyflyers.com/
Good bunch of guys. There are a growing number of members that are into soaring. Some DLG, Thermal and Electric. Four of us are working on our LSF levels.
Jim C
AirFoiled is offline Find More Posts by AirFoiled
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:42 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
482 Posts
James, if you are headed to Charleston with Boeing, there are a couple of us that fly sailplanes in the area. unfortunately, the local club is not too friendly to sailplanes. Drop me a PM and I'll send you my contact info.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Dec 05, 2010, 07:47 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,701 Posts
James

Yep were here just not online until this am. We are up towards Charlotte but we travel. We go over to the Wilson area quite often as they are a great group.

Where in the area. Let us know

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,186 Posts
Moving to Charleston with Boeing. I plan to travel for contests but would love to find a place to drop in during the week and such. I am spoiled now because I can walk to a big park and fly whenever I want.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:22 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,701 Posts
Anytime. There are a few of us here in the area. We also go between Wilson and Charlotte for mini contests. All practice Mostly DLG but we also fly the 3 meter stuff.

You camped next to Bob and I at the F3K team trial
Your always welcome.

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Last edited by Goinav8n; Dec 05, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 04:32 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
482 Posts
There is a park on James Island with enough room for a full size highstart. It's not an official flying field, but it is often deserted on weekend afternoons. I have also flown on the beach at Folly Island. It's great when the on shore breeze is working, just like a ridge, but with no hill. I have been wanting to explore the north side if Edisto Island beach. Looks good on Google Earth. An informal group gets together to fly on Johns Island pretty regularly. The field is small and rough (it was a going to be a development before the economy tanked). A full length highstart barely fits.

I'm working on P-8 and will be in Kent in January. If you want to get together we can discuss Charleston and flying.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Dec 06, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,186 Posts
Perfect AM!

I would love to get together with you!

James
RCG Plus Member