HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
Not knocking Hysol because I have not used it... But... I have not had epoxy fail. Not since I started R/C planes in 1992. I fly 100cc giant scale. All my IMAC buddies fly 100cc to 200cc. All of us use 30 min epoxy. (also used it to build my H-32) What does Hysol do that warrants switching? Just curious.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:08 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,972 Posts
If you don't prep the parts properly, it doesn't matter what you use, it can come de-bonded. Make sure you give the horns a sanding at the bonding area to remove the "blush" which will prevent the glue from keying in.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
If you don't prep the parts properly, it doesn't matter what you use, it can come de-bonded. Make sure you give the horns a sanding at the bonding area to remove the "blush" which will prevent the glue from keying in.
+1 you can scrape hysol off a smooth plastic as easy as anything else.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,582 Posts
Hysol is thixotropic meaning it is thick and does not run. It has a very high sheer strength too. I used Vpoxy to glue the horns. It dries quicker than hysol and is clear too.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:36 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
96 Posts
response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
Not knocking Hysol because I have not used it... But... I have not had epoxy fail. Not since I started R/C planes in 1992. I fly 100cc giant scale. All my IMAC buddies fly 100cc to 200cc. All of us use 30 min epoxy. (also used it to build my H-32) What does Hysol do that warrants switching? Just curious.
No reason for switching on the Habu. Just asking to see what some of you thought. I was considering trying it on the control horns because I have heard it stays where you place it and does not run like normal 30 min epoxy. This is the reason that it is recommended for use on my other project.

Yes, I know that a sanded and clean surface is needed for adhesives to work right. Was planning on doing that anyway. It has been a while since I have read the manual, but I believe it calls for 5 min epoxy. I was going to mix up 30 min and use that but thought since I need to order some Hysol anyway I thought why not give it a try.
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:53 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
Very Simple....Tensile stregth of Hysol is 3200 PSI + with an operating teperature to - 67* to 140*......5 min expoxy cannot touch those numbers, I believe tensile strength is 2400-2500 PSI and temperature failure of 5 Min epoxy is no where near those temperatures...You get what pay for with Hysol and includes peace of mind.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Very Simple....Tensile stregth of Hysol is 3200 PSI + with an operating teperature to - 67* to 140*......5 min expoxy cannot touch those numbers, I believe tensile strength is 2400-2500 PSI and temperature failure of 5 Min epoxy is no where near those temperatures...You get what pay for with Hysol and includes peace of mind.
The tension on the control horns is no where near those numbers either. The manual says use 5 min epoxy and it works fine for thousands of people that used it there.

Again, you won't be disappointed with Hysol. It's good to mix a bit up and see how it mixes/dries reacts anyway before your other project. I'd just hate to see people recommending it for an application that doesn't really need it. You have to order it since you can't just grab a pack at the LHS (any I know of anyway). You have to wait a day for it to dry. It costs $15 + shipping for every pack. So yeah, if you have some go right ahead if you feel the need. I used epoxy regardless even though I have it.

OK... enough... back to your regularly scheduled show now
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Got my wheel air brakes working after acouple of hours. Found out that the pin in the block that has the o-rings to hold the air in was in backwards... :/ Spun it around and everything works as should.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:36 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
Nothing wrong with epoxy, the Habu is made with it isnt it?
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Nothing wrong with epoxy, the Habu is made with it isnt it?
Cannot comment any further on adhesives for we are back to our regular scheduled program....
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:51 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,342 Posts
and now for something completely different....
jimmy34256 is online now Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
Got my wheel air brakes working after acouple of hours. Found out that the pin in the block that has the o-rings to hold the air in was in backwards... :/ Spun it around and everything works as should.
Post some pics of your setup. Not sure if many guys have wheel air brakes on the Bu.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
96 Posts
Any one managed to get the brakes from shulman aviation to work with Tam's gear.
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:58 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
I put a set on my reaction and love them. The p-38 and habu are next!
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:03 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Someone tried and mentioned the pin was slightly larger than the diameter of the hole on the tamjet struts...
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk