HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
Thanks, i will give that a try. The rain has moved in to ruin my flying weekend.

Also about the tail servo. I was told when i got this heli to but a resistor for the tail , does anyone have that link still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Go 80 80 80, thats max 12/12 on pitch, 9 degrees cyclic, the head cant do more than that, 9' o clock on aile and eleve and 11'0 clock on bal del, then go neg expo - 25/30 and run out all your travels to 100%. I posted my setup line by line direct from my 2801 back a few pages, DK's setup is in this thread somewhere too for max and best settings on the V450. Twitchy and stable that way but watch the bogging of the stock motor on full pitch punchouts. Nice flights by the way
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
I just changed my settings as above , but i noticed im running +40 expo. Whats the difference between + and - ?????
Old May 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I just changed my settings as above , but i noticed im running +40 expo. Whats the difference between + and - ?????

Wattflyer sums it up nicely, 2nd one down

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What%27s+the+di...al+on+my+radio
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old May 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,967 Posts
Positive Expo softens the control around mid stick, negative expo makes the controls act more at mid stick. Neither affects the total amount of travel available.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old May 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
Thanks all, im not sure why i would want neg expo. Still stormy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Positive Expo softens the control around mid stick, negative expo makes the controls act more at mid stick. Neither affects the total amount of travel available.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,967 Posts
Nope, nor me.

I could see that you might want to use it to give 2 different helis a similar feel at mid stick. Possibly.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Anyone tried these canopies yet? They are supposed to fit if you punch your own holes and use stock rubber gaskets.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-31134.html

I've been looking for alternative canopies, this is so far the only reported fit i can find. White too, which is what i'm looking for.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old May 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all, im not sure why i would want neg expo. Still stormy here
Expo is a funny thing and some guys swear by it others cant stand it so its really dependant on the pilot and the way he likes to fly. Neg Expo is going to get the servos to move quicker and further in a shorter stick throw. If you watch videos of pro pilots watch the picture in picture of the TX and the heli. If you watch thumbs they make very small movements on the stick for very large big air flights, or when they get close and tight to the mat. Some guys even fly crack and move the sticks really fast to jerk the servos into movement rather than a linear control. its a technique that gets more, because your not working the servo linear, but using its speed and torque to advantage. Your gonna need a red-bull for that

Theres many ways to skin a cat and get what you need out of the heli, expo is just one way to get there. Mostly though its used to dumb the stick down for a n00b's which usually have a tendancy to stick slam, and dump. + Expo will help with that, neg expo is the opposite. Watching your flights I think you just have to open up your servos, you dont need more sensitivity on the sticks but rather more servo movement.

Eventually your going to outgrow those stock servos and to tell you the truth you probably already have, when you fly your feeling mushy sticks and its the stock servos dont have the torque to get the swash to move under load that you want. Put some high speed high torque servos on that bird and it will feel like a new heli. Just IMHO.

PS. Look up servo resolution and how that correlates to the sticks........... and for some radios + expo is Neg and neg expo is positive ( as if it wasnt already a mystery)
Old May 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,967 Posts
Nice info HF711. Thanks.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
I have seen that jerking thing l its crazy. And i still dont get it. What should my rpm be? I will then try to remember to tach it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Expo is a funny thing and some guys swear by it others cant stand it so its really dependant on the pilot and the way he likes to fly. Neg Expo is going to get the servos to move quicker and further in a shorter stick throw. If you watch videos of pro pilots watch the picture in picture of the TX and the heli. If you watch thumbs they make very small movements on the stick for very large big air flights, or when they get close and tight to the mat. Some guys even fly crack and move the sticks really fast to jerk the servos into movement rather than a linear control. its a technique that gets more, because your not working the servo linear, but using its speed and torque to advantage. Your gonna need a red-bull for that

Theres many ways to skin a cat and get what you need out of the heli, expo is just one way to get there. Mostly though its used to dumb the stick down for a n00b's which usually have a tendancy to stick slam, and dump. + Expo will help with that, neg expo is the opposite. Watching your flights I think you just have to open up your servos, you dont need more sensitivity on the sticks but rather more servo movement.

Eventually your going to outgrow those stock servos and to tell you the truth you probably already have, when you fly your feeling mushy sticks and its the stock servos dont have the torque to get the swash to move under load that you want. Put some high speed high torque servos on that bird and it will feel like a new heli. Just IMHO.

PS. Look up servo resolution and how that correlates to the sticks........... and for some radios + expo is Neg and neg expo is positive ( as if it wasnt already a mystery)
Old May 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
I have seen that jerking thing l its crazy. And i still dont get it. What should my rpm be? I will then try to remember to tach it
Yeah real crazy, it's szazbo's trademark a few years ago when Align was king. Not sure what you dont understand, not much for the details eh, just want to get it in at the field? LOL I hear you.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
I have to say all these worries about my v450's ability to stay in the air because of it's technical issues with the tail servo and RX have me coming home when I'm bored or had a bad day flying and watching videos of the Goblin 700 for hours.. This can only lead to one eventuality. I have to wonder though if i went and spent the $2000 plus to get this thing totally pimped out and rocking all the best gear available......

WOULD I STILL HAVE TO WORRY EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT THAT THE ELECTRONICS WILL FAIL!?!?! not might, BUT WILL!! like how i'm beginning to feel about my walkera's above the v120 class. I understand failure happens, but my 4f200's ESC didn't last 25 flights. It also has had to have 4 sets of servos replaced just from taking it out of the Walkera aluminum case and stripping gears. Not even from a crash, just putting on a blade holder or something like that. That's pretty horrible: "Lets go flying! WOOT got the 4f200 righ-AWWW!!! SOB!! stripped a servo taking it out of the case AGAIN!" - Shouldn't be that easy! jeez.

My v450's ESC was on literal electrical fire on MY flight 2, stock tail servo went out around flight 14ish and replacement tail servo went bad around flight 16 or 17 and I just now ordered another STOCK replacement just to see if my RX has bad firmware and is going to blow this one out too in like 5-10 flights. I suppose if the stock one lasts 10-15 flights it would be safe to say i can order a futaba without worrying about risking a good servo right? I would really hate to have to buy a Sab Goblin to fix my tail servo issue.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old May 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I have to say all these worries about my v450's ability to stay in the air because of it's technical issues with the tail servo and RX have me coming home when I'm bored or had a bad day flying and watching videos of the Goblin 700 for hours.. This can only lead to one eventuality. I have to wonder though if i went and spent the $2000 plus to get this thing totally pimped out and rocking all the best gear available......

WOULD I STILL HAVE TO WORRY EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT THAT THE ELECTRONICS WILL FAIL!?!?! not might, BUT WILL!! like how i'm beginning to feel about my walkera's above the v120 class. I understand failure happens, but my 4f200's ESC didn't last 25 flights. It also has had to have 4 sets of servos replaced just from taking it out of the Walkera aluminum case and stripping gears. Not even from a crash, just putting on a blade holder or something like that. That's pretty horrible: "Lets go flying! WOOT got the 4f200 righ-AWWW!!! SOB!! stripped a servo taking it out of the case AGAIN!" - Shouldn't be that easy! jeez.

My v450's ESC was on literal electrical fire on MY flight 2, stock tail servo went out around flight 14ish and replacement tail servo went bad around flight 16 or 17 and I just now ordered another STOCK replacement just to see if my RX has bad firmware and is going to blow this one out too in like 5-10 flights. I suppose if the stock one lasts 10-15 flights it would be safe to say i can order a futaba without worrying about risking a good servo right? I would really hate to have to buy a Sab Goblin to fix my tail servo issue.
Integrity I am sorry but it seems like this 450 is cursed. I have one also but really have never flown it. I hope mine does not burn thru the parts yours does. I hope it gets better for you soon. 😃

What cheap tail servo should I buy for this 2702RX?
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old May 14, 2012, 09:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
Integrity I am sorry but it seems like this 450 is cursed. I have one also but really have never flown it. I hope mine does not burn thru the parts yours does. I hope it gets better for you soon. 😃
It does seem like it wasn't such a good deal after all these troubles. I'm impressed how much you are getting to fly it though. I have had mine for a year. Hovered it a bit in the yard and only really flown it 10 times with 1 servo failure (burnt out FET) and 2 crashes (my fault).

Hopefully, I will fly it again this weekend but it depends on the other things, weather, wife, kids.

I have a X525 with FF FC to maiden as well this week... Too little time and too many toys!
Old May 14, 2012, 09:31 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,282 Posts
I thought the same thing when i bought my trex 600! It is a perfect heli with perfect electronics, and www.heli-heli.com put it together, so i didnt have to worry about that. I still check all my screws and stuff after every other flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post