Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:28 AM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
...Another question, sorry: so what do you do when you decided to 3d print like at shapeways in plastic/nylon, or do you still use emachinshop? (Your 1/8 bike had some interesting wheels which I thought you mentioned shapeways.) Are you just exporting the dxf from emachineshop and file is allowed file import for shapeways? Ive looked at a free program for 3d printing called autodesk 123d maybe a year ago and seemed pretty cool and free, but that was just 3d printing, not like emachineshop.
You cannot generate STL files (3D printing) with EmachineShop software. This program allows you to save your designs as EMS (EmachineShop files) or DXF (Standard export files)

For 3D printing I use Autocad 2008 (previously used Autocad R14) because it can save/export files in so many different file formats compatible with CNC machining companies all over the world.

I send my 3D files to both Shapeways (USA and Netherlands based) or Sculpteo (France). Best results achieved from French guys but slightly expensiver service compared to Shapeways.

Come on, join the 3D printing family....

trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:30 AM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
subscribity..........
Nice to see you again, Kev.

Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:53 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post

Im a big fan
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:02 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,648 Posts
Quote:

Im a big fan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:18 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
Fun project, great work so far.

What is the wheelbase?
What is the length of the swing arm?
What is the steering head angle?

If you can I would suggest you make a two part cover for your spur and pinion gears. The pitch is fine enough that in a real off road situation the gears will be ruined quickly. Sand and even snow are very destructive.
If you can vacuum form a two part lexan/PC case maybe that will protect the spur for a longer working life. Otherwise I can see your going to be replacing gears often.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:51 PM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Hi Chris. Thanks for your ideas.

Some figures about this proyect:

Maximum wheelbase: 375mm

Maximum distance from swingarm pivot point to wheel shaft: 152mm

Front forks angle: 32º (or 58º measured from ground level).

Gear module is 0.8 metric, very similar to 32DP from original Ricky. I got another steel gear set from NF and Novak but limits my motor choices due to the maximum gear ratio achieved.

Displayed at the pics are a 0.8mm module 59T spur and 8T pinion for a insane wheelie proyect 1:26.22 gear ratio, while steel gears feature 1mm module 46T spur and 9T pinion for a total 1:18.17 gear ratio.

I prefer to complete the initial tests with a slow bike than a fried motor....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
@Peter.

Thanks for the confirmation the KERS idea will work. You said you unplug gyro battery and get decent handling for about 15 seconds or so.

Just guess how a 3rd channel brake mixxed esc will work. As soon as you apply brakes to enter the slowest track section, the gyro will rev up and get the desired handling there. Enter the main straight or fast curves and gyro won´t take any power from main battery and will spin at a constant speed in order not to transfer any reaction to the front wheel.
Forgot I wanted to make comment about this. It takes a LONG time for a gyro to spool up and slow down when we are talking mere seconds or fractions of a second to get the steering response you want. In other words, its not possible sorry.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:49 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Forgot I wanted to make comment about this. It takes a LONG time for a gyro to spool up and slow down when we are talking mere seconds or fractions of a second to get the steering response you want. In other words, its not possible sorry.
Hi Johnny,

you are right about this if you think about our current heavy gyros.
But I think Cesar wants to make a much lighter gyro, that does more rpm.
And it takes less time to spool up or slow down if the gyro is lighter - just check the Mini-z Bike.

I am not sure if the gyro for an 1/4 Scale Bike can be light enough for this to work, but it sounds interesting.

Another thing someone tried in the german Forum:
Very small gyro that spins up to 30.000 rpm, mounted in the frame, not in the rear wheel:
http://www.rc-motorradforum.de/forum...pic.php?t=2235
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:13 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Yep, I love that project. I cant believe Lus didnt ever post video of it. Oh well, Ive seen another bike with frame gyro so I know it works. If I make a custom frame Im going to attempt that idea.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:01 PM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
So happy to be here after first testing run.

The bike is so stable with gyro setting at half rotating speed, and I get tons of traction even over hard (stone paved) surfaces from the Proline Badlands.

Fitted a new Castle 5700Kv motor and I found the bike fast and reliable.

My problems started 5 minutes later when my current 60A esc decided to cog at every throttle input (maybe this motor/gear ratio is too much for it)

So please check this....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post24270703

... and give me the chance (donations accepted too...) to get a more powerful esc or a sensored motor +5700Kv that I´ll connect to my Novak GTB.

Videos soon.

Thanks for watching.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Look forward to seeing videos!
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:08 PM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Another small step for men...

Please forgive me but I was born back in 1969, few months after Moon Landing.

Two days ago I received the new carbon fiber battery housing/rider foot stand from Carbono Racing guys. This company CNC machines carbon sheets using a tiny 1.8mm dia mill, so any complex profile/part can be ordered.

As usual, works quality is awesome. Just need to lightly sand every plate edge and then cyano them. Take a look at Steve happy face once he can ride this bike with both safely seated feet.

You can see that battery housing is much narrow than foot stands due to the way saddle lipo is fitted inside. Just 58mm wide opening. When I had to install foot stands, I took some 8mm Hot Racing spacers and put them between both carbon parts. The small space between them even acts as lipo connector guide.

On the other side, carbon foot stand protects pinion and spur from heavy impacts.

This other pic shows you the new crash bars. Ballraced 25mm dia wheels bolted to 5mm nylon bars for a SM main use, while bigger ones will be installed for off road bashing.

You may see a small gauge over the nylon rod. You can figure that 5mm bars are too soft for this bike weight so I added a "leaf spring" over it. I can change gauge thickness (currently 0.4/0.5mm) to get the desired leaning angle and turning radius.

Hope you like it.

Cesar.

PD: Still no videos due to the flu (past 2 days at home with a lovely snowy landscape waiting for me and the bike)....
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:12 PM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Went out today to continue testing and I found where the cogging problem came from.

The saddle lipo I´m testing is a SMC 5100mAh 2S3P. Seems that all the cogging and lack of power after some use is about one (or maybe more) defective cell. Considering this pack feature 6 cells inside, it´s easy to convert it to a lower mAh unit on 4 cells after some checking.

I´m studying other lipo option for SM tracks. I plan to get a "shorty" lipo for on road use. It will protude slightly below foot height (standard saddle lipo lenght 65mm, shorty 96...) but on tarmac tracks it won´t be an issue.

And thinking about overall chassis width at battery box, 25mm wide lipo plus 5mm carbon plates plus some padding. First motocross bike at 35mm width...

So it´s time to get some saddle and some shorties and continue testing.

PD: First wheelie on tarmac this afternoon... Rear fender handle the crash without a crack. I think it was because this "cut and fold" body keeps lexan thickness constant, and 0.7mm lexan is pretty tought...

Guys, start cutting your own rear fenders on 0.7 to 1.0mm lexan and you´d be able to install wheelie wheels directly on the plastic. No more piano wire there...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:01 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,813 Posts
Some video running on dirt please.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie