HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:44 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
845 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Gee Bee Racer

I bought one of these just the other day after flying it on the hobby store's simulator. They said it was a sim of that very model.
On the sim it flew amazingly well.
I bought, assembled it and painstakingly made sure all throws were right and the CG was correct.
I maidened it today and all I have to say is, that is a very very hard plane to fly.
Maybe something was wrong with mine because it very hard to just keep straight down the runway for approaches.
It was not at all like that sim.
I was trying to land it and kept having to go around because things weren't working out. On one of my go arounds, I needed altitude, I shallowed out the bank to almost wings level but there was not enough elevator in that short of time to prevent the impact.
Its not totally lost. I need a few things like a prop and a cowl and gear. But I also need the assembly for the tail wheel.
I can't find that on the spare parts list.
Anyone know where I can get that tail wheel assembly?

Anyway, very difficult airplane to fly.

Anyone else have this plane? Has it been hard to fly for you?
MK
mkpatrick is online now Find More Posts by mkpatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:52 AM
confused poet
USA, CA, Orange
Joined Feb 2004
1,040 Posts
Check tower hobbies website for parts. Great planes is normally pretty good about having parts availble.

As for flying the plane. I have a Gee Bee that I built my self and it will "weather vane" into the wind on approach, meaning if the wind is a little bit cross to the runway it will try to line up with the wind and not the runway. Also use rudder, the full size Gee Bee's had pretty bad adverse yaw and the models are no different.

I have seen a few of the great planes gee bees at my flying field. They all had a learning curve to them. I did notice that they have lots of nose weight glued in at the factory Make sure that the weight is still glued in before your next flight.

My other general experience is that R/C simulators are not like flying in real life for a number of reasons. Mainly all simulator planes seem to fly the same to me they just look different. Also when flying on the computer your reference is always to the monitor where as when flying out side your reference is always to the plane which goes all over the place.

Hope this helps.

Hank
HanksGB is offline Find More Posts by HanksGB
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
geebee

Replace the tail-wheel with a small dubro. The one it comes with is a joke and has no authority. If you want it to fly like a real gee bee, build shorter motor box and use a power 15, 3200 4s,10x8 or 11x7 prop w/ 60 amp esc, reinforce wings with1/4"square carbon, add larger magnets to cowl, bend gear legs forward 1"(you may have to shave bottom back of wheel pants) use rubber bands around wheel pants so they don't drop on landing and balance upside down at recommended point DEAD LEVEL. Reinforce all control horns w/ca, add brace across control wire tubes behind plywood tray. I've worn out two w/ this set-up and I'm building a third now. Very scale, very maneuverable and very fast. Oh yeah, dump the fake flying wires. For a small fee I will build for others. Its looks will not suffer at all. At least 200 flights before I want one looking new. Even with this set up, after removing the 6 giant ball bearing nose weights, you will still need to add 1/2 to 1 oz, lead to the nose. Don't use apc thin electric props. Use Master Airscrew, they are wider at the tips to put more thrust past that big cowl.
mark l is online now Find More Posts by mark l
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,368 Posts
If you are a low-time tail-dragger flyer and not used to coordinating rudder with ailerons, a Gee Bee racer is a poor choice and one of the hardest models to fly.The big dummy radial engine and wheel pants demand higher speeds for take-offs and landings same as a WWII warbird but moreso because of the drag, small wing area, and small tail surfaces. Best to set this one aside for a while and get some time flying warbirds.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
mcpatrick

If you are determined to keep it stock, I think I have two or three that I removed from previous planes that you can have. (tailwheel asmby) I'll check and let you know. As far as T.O.s are concerned, add power gradually but with authority and right rudder until the tail lifts off, at that point, it will go wherever you steer it with rudder. Landings require that you carry a small amount of power all the way to the ground, land on the mains(wheel landing), and when you are down cut throttle and add full up elevator to firmly plant tail-wheel. It takes some practice but there is no other way to consistantly land this plane succesfully. Unless your cowl is really ruined, try to use it until you've got your landings down. You are going to nose over a lot in the beginning and the cowl will take the brunt of the scuffing. Then put the new one on. Same for the wheel pants. It really is a great flying plane and very consistant once you grow accustomed to it. Don't give up!
Last edited by mark l; Dec 09, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:33 AM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark l View Post
Replace the tail-wheel with a small dubro. The one it comes with is a joke and has no authority. If you want it to fly like a real gee bee, build shorter motor box and use a power 15, 3200 4s,10x8 or 11x7 prop w/ 60 amp esc, reinforce wings with1/4"square carbon, add larger magnets to cowl, bend gear legs forward 1"(you may have to shave bottom back of wheel pants) use rubber bands around wheel pants so they don't drop on landing and balance upside down at recommended point DEAD LEVEL. Reinforce all control horns w/ca, add brace across control wire tubes behind plywood tray. I've worn out two w/ this set-up and I'm building a third now. Very scale, very maneuverable and very fast. Oh yeah, dump the fake flying wires. For a small fee I will build for others. Its looks will not suffer at all. At least 200 flights before I want one looking new. Even with this set up, after removing the 6 giant ball bearing nose weights, you will still need to add 1/2 to 1 oz, lead to the nose. Don't use apc thin electric props. Use Master Airscrew, they are wider at the tips to put more thrust past that big cowl.
Will the Dubro work on the stock tail wheel setup?

When you prop up, do you use a different motor?
I did have the CG dead level.

Upon further review, I was flying it at the recommended 'low rates' settings and that is not enough control for this plane. I needed more.

I fly off a black top strip that is wide but always has a crosswind. .Always. And its a 90 degree cross wind.
I have had to learn to counter that cross wind when flying my 1200mm warbirds. They are all tail draggers.
I have the benefit of lining up straight at myself, then kicking appropriate rudder, then coming down under power and touching down. I have a Dynam Gee Bee Y and it flies great that way. Its a bit challenging in a cross wind but I I have it down.
The Stuka is wonderful in a cross wind, it makes me look like I'm good at crosswind landings. LOL. Its a 1400mm.

This little Gee Bee is definitely for advanced flyers. I do not characterize myself as advanced. I figured myself for someone that is just stepping into the intermediate rankings.

How much is your fee for that setup? You can PM me.
MK
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
GeeBee

Actually, this particular airframe can be flown bank and yank. I'm very proficient with this plane and I never use rudder except landings and T.O.s. My hopped up Mr. Mulligan, on the other hand is 90% rudder and 10% ailron. It is true, however that this is not the best plane to learn how to fly with conventional gear. The Gee Bee Y is a very different plane from an R-1 or R-2.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
Mcpatrick

It works perfectly but you have to remove the rudder to install which requires you to re-hinge it. It is well worth the trouble and it looks better too. Because of the broad side of the fuselage, it will wheathervane in a strong crosswind. I happen to think the Gee Bee r1+2 are one of the most beautiful planes ever built. My goal is to build the Composition ARF R2(93" ws with a DA 170 or a Moki radial) Maybe next year.If you want to see my Mulligan fly, go to great planes mr mulligan on forums for video.(it's on one of the last few pages.) By the way, that little Gee Bee will make you into an advanced flier. It did for me. Oh yes, small dubro wing tip skids are very effective for preserving the wing tips on this plane. They are cheap and easy to install. You WILL drag a wingtip now and then with this plane. I do.
Last edited by mark l; Dec 09, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:01 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
845 Posts
Quote:
It works perfectly but you have to remove the rudder to install which requires you to re-hinge it. It is well worth the trouble and it looks better too. Because of the broad side of the fuselage, it will wheathervane in a strong crosswind. I happen to think the Gee Bee r1+2 are one of the most beautiful planes ever built. My goal is to build the Composition ARF R2(93" ws with a DA 170 or a Moki radial) Maybe next year.If you want to see my Mulligan fly, go to great planes mr mulligan on forums for video.(it's on one of the last few pages.) By the way, that little Gee Bee will make you into an advanced flier. It did for me. Oh yes, small dubro wing tip skids are very effective for preserving the wing tips on this plane. They are cheap and easy to install. You WILL drag a wingtip now and then with this plane. I do.
Sounds awesome.

So the Power 15, is that a lower KV motor for a bigger prop and 4S?
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
motor

I'm going to use a turnigy rough equivalant on mine. The stock motor is 1400kv using a 10x7 with a 3s. The motor I'm thinking of is around 850kv. You will not need more than 1/2 throttle to take off. The power 15 is 950kv. I've gotten away from eflite motors though. Too expensive with no advantage except warranty. Warranty doesn't cover a wrecked plane.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
Gee Bee hop up

Probably the best way to do this is for you to order everything needed once I have the list prepared and either ship it with the plane or have it drop shipped to me. The turn around will be less than 4 days (probably more like 2). Small hardware, glue, carbon, plywood, etc. etc. I'll provide and you can cover those costs when you pay me. I can use one of my recievers to test it or you can send me yours for installation. I would, however, like you to supply the Battery to me for mounting and balance issues. The battery.will be placed so it is as far forward as possible to minimize the need for added nose weight. I'm a bit of a nut about neat wiring harnesses so if you are using spectrum, send me the receiver and it will look clean inside as well as out. Note. I have done this several times and it will fly very well out of the box but I will not test fly your plane. I am suggesting that you have the maiden flight done by a local expert or that you at least have a competant spotter available when you maiden to help trim the plane. I do promise that it will be a very stable platform.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 03:45 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
845 Posts
Quote:
Probably the best way to do this is for you to order everything needed once I have the list prepared and either ship it with the plane or have it drop shipped to me. The turn around will be less than 4 days (probably more like 2). Small hardware, glue, carbon, plywood, etc. etc. I'll provide and you can cover those costs when you pay me. I can use one of my recievers to test it or you can send me yours for installation. I would, however, like you to supply the Battery to me for mounting and balance issues. The battery.will be placed so it is as far forward as possible to minimize the need for added nose weight. I'm a bit of a nut about neat wiring harnesses so if you are using spectrum, send me the receiver and it will look clean inside as well as out. Note. I have done this several times and it will fly very well out of the box but I will not test fly your plane. I am suggesting that you have the maiden flight done by a local expert or that you at least have a competant spotter available when you maiden to help trim the plane. I do promise that it will be a very stable platform.
This sounds very interesting but as you say and as I found out, this is a hard plane to fly. I need to get better. I was lulled into thinking it would be easy to fly. I fly 1200-1400mm warbirds and have gotten reasonably competent with them. So I figured the Gee Bee would be not much harder to fly.
It was much harder to fly.
So I want to take you up on this but I want to get better first. I don't want to invest significant cash and then just wreck it again because I lack Gee Bee skills.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
Gee Bee

Take your time. You are going to beat the crap out of this one by the time you get it mastered. If at that time you are still intrigued with this plane, contact me and we'll talk about a custom build. Quite frankly, I would prefer to start with a brand new plane anyways. Good Flying....Mark. ps: A lot of people give up on this plane(everyone at my feild except me) I have been flying actively for the past 20 yrs. and this is one of the most rewarding planes I've ever owned.With the set up I've described, it flies like it's on rails. Stable enough to do 90mph passes 3 ft. over the runway. And the crowd loves it!
Last edited by mark l; Dec 09, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:20 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
845 Posts
Quote:
Take your time. You are going to beat the crap out of this one by the time you get it mastered. If at that time you are still intrigued with this plane, contact me and we'll talk about a custom build. Quite frankly, I would prefer to start with a brand new plane anyways. Good Flying....Mark. ps: A lot of people give up on this plane(everyone at my feild except me) I have been flying actively for the past 20 yrs. and this is one of the most rewarding planes I've ever owned.With the set up I've described, it flies like it's on rails. Stable enough to do 90mph passes 3 ft. over the runway. And the crowd loves it!
90????
Wow!!

I'll never tire of the Gee Bee. I saw one fly at an airshow, I was amazed. It just defies your imagination right before your eyes. That little barrel with stubby wings going down the runway, about 10' off the ground, inverted at about 200mph.
I was hooked after that.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Mar 2013
372 Posts
Air show gee bee

You saw an EXACT replica, built by Delmar Benjamin from original plans supplied by the Grannville family.(Gee bee stands for Granville Brothers) It was retired to a museum in Fla. after 2000 hrs. of flight. Where are you, anyway.
Last edited by mark l; Dec 09, 2013 at 06:18 PM.