HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Discussion
Need help deciding my first EDF project

Hi all,

I have finally decided to start an EDF project but cant seem to find the right aircraft for what I want. I had never built an EDF or flown one, so this all new to me. This is what I kinda have in mind:

1. single EDF unit
2. Balsa construction
3. around 36" winspan
4. build time: a coupe of weeks. (nothing too complex)

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Ralph
inspec25 is offline Find More Posts by inspec25
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:31 AM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,429 Posts
Well you have certainly set a lofty goal! First thing, is forget the balsa, go and make a foamy. To design and build what you don't even know yet, in 2 weeks is crazy. Besides, the first flight may be vey short! Perhaps measured in seconds. Foam is much easier to repair.

Take a good look at sloperjoes build threads.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1876820 F-16

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678727 F-4 Phantom

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692750 A-6 Intruder.

All great planes, and proven designs.

Now after you have at least looked them over, figure out the costs of things you need. Building tools? Then look at the components needed. Fan/motor. servos. batteies, charger, etc--
It will add up to alot more than you think.

Good luck
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 04, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
I wondered if my post would make it sound like if I was a newbee to this hobby. I have been building/flying for 3 plus years now but only with prop aircraft (electric). I have no exprience with EDF's and would like to try one. I feel most comfortable using Balsa but if foam is where it is at, then I need to conform to that media. Oh yeah.... I suffer from a bad case of "mis-conception of time" (my wife would agree).... LOL.... What I meant by "couple weeks" was I am looking for a simple design. I really want to spend the time learning how to install an EDF, and fly it. Building a scale aircraft just isnt a big concern. I have spent a bit of time on Outerzone looking for a simple airframe that could converted but that may be too much of a hassel and most of the time they don't fly right aways.

However, you guys are the experts in this realm... may be I need to start out in foam and with a semi-scale aircraft. I apprecriate the three drawings and I do have to say the Intruder has always been a favorite of mine...
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:45 PM
Germany, NRW, Hopsten
Joined Jul 2005
65 Posts
A simple free plan for a 70mm edf is DKronkhite's MiniBobcat.

Here are the link to the dxf file of the MiniBobcat:

http://www.scheinig.com/rcn/bobcat.zip

greets
Frank
Frank Feldhaus is offline Find More Posts by Frank Feldhaus
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:20 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,429 Posts
Quote:
I suffer from a bad case of "mis-conception of time" (my wife would agree).... LOL...
I am guilty of that myself. I suggested foam, only because it's faster to build with, and as I stated, much easier to repair--if need be. Just use what your most comfortable with.
I usually check out a persons blog and what kind of threads they have posted, to get an idea of what they have been up to. I didn't this time. Sorry, my mistake.

I need to get some stick time on EDF's also, and I think my choice will be sloperjoes, 70mm F-16.
Neve had a plane with less than a 48" WS, so should be interesting. (Just another winter project, lots of foam left from my E-Scorpion build) From what I've read on it, simple to build, and forgiving---to a point!
I have two projects on going, both of which are currently above my flying abilities. I just like to build. By the time there finished, I'll have well over $1200 in one and perhaps $ 1500 in the other. Too much money and time to crash in less than a minute! So I will get my "mojo" back with a foamy. I might be a little short on my flying skills at this time, but I'm not stupid, either. I had hoped that this summer would have been a "come back year" lots of stick time, just didn't work out that way. A medical issue.

Besides sloperjoes threads, D-Fast has some great ones also. But anyway welcome the the Scratch build forum..
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
1,934 Posts
The best bang for your criteria, ill second CBTL's advice
I know you mentioned Balsa build, but in 2 weeks, your putting in a lot of OT

Sloppyjoe's builds are super easy, super cheap on the wallet, and fly suburb!

With everything at my disposal, i built and flew one of his in a weekend. From printing to cutting to gluing,and sanding to shape was 26hrs

GET READY SET GO........
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2013, 11:37 AM
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Jelcz-Laskowice
Joined May 2012
422 Posts
If I may, I recommend you my version of F4D Skyray. This was my first EDF to get "know how".
It is very simply to build. Better look than profile EDF, but no so complex like scale models.
My thread with plans: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997715
robertus is offline Find More Posts by robertus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Okay... Okay... Okay... Maybe its time to try foam. I take it that this foam is the same blue and pink foam sold at Lowes or Home Depot? Anyways, Robertus's F4D Skyray is exactly what I was looking for. It looks simple enough.

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 08, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
142 Posts
64mm EDF Launcher (2 min 54 sec)

I used "Harpy Cat" plans and installed a 64 mm EDF at 3degrees up and 1 degree right. It is an excellent trainer and build in less than 10 hours and is a pussy cat in the air. Under proper throttle management, you can get like 5 min flights easily and will handle the gusty winds. It will even takeoff on very low grass. Go to my you tube and see that it will even take off vertical.
At the club, I even let members fly it to get the feel with EDF's. Notice it flys slow, powers up good and does acrobatics, even flys upside down nice and slow. If the edf crap's out , point nose down and you can land it with no damage.
If you want some pictures, let me know.
aero1960 is offline Find More Posts by aero1960
Last edited by aero1960; Oct 08, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Aero1960

I am very interested. Sent you a PM.

Thank you
Old Oct 09, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
142 Posts
inspec25:
Screwed up on name--"Alleycat" is the name and the plans are on the "nothing but foamy section" of Flying Giants. I scaled it to 40 L x 32W to fit my sheets. It consists of 4 pieces and 3 servos. 1 for elevator and 2 others for aileron. Flys great in wind. Here is the second video with vertical takeoffs and a "double touch and go"and an engine off landing.
I used HL 64 mm EDF, Castle esc and 1300 lipo. Best flight time I got was over 7 min doing alot of gliding. So the key is to build light.

Vertical Launch 64 mmEDF (2 min 33 sec)
Old Oct 09, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Aero- thanks. I will visit Flying Giants and download the plans. I guess I will start the build this weekend.

Thanks again.

Inspec25
Old Oct 09, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,373 Posts
Check out flitetest.com for the saab Viggen foamy build , there's a flight video too http://flitetest.com/articles/ja37-viggen-edf-build-log
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Oct 09, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
142 Posts
Edf

There you are in 4 pieces. Cut small strips and glue on each side to re-enforce the tail booms. This is to prevent flutter of tail as you do loop. Remember the EDF is 3 degrees up and 1 degree to the right(viewed from back). Will get you picture of light, it works, mount.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
I was able to find the plans and print them. Now I just have to cut them and tape them together. See, this is what I mean about my bad judgment of time; its been 11 days since my first post and I have practically done nothing....

Well, my oldest wanted to build his Baby Bertha... so we did do that. But I will say I have checked out some of those plans you guys gave me links to and I am amazed at what you guys can do with rigid blue/pink foam.

Where are you guys getting your foam? Lowes has 1/4 blue foam but from what I can see online you have to buy 52 feet of it at once. Anyways, once I get my alley-cat up and running, I found another one I would like to try- HW Harpy