HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:05 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Discussion
V-Tail Clamp Batch#2: What angle do you need?

Greetings fellow Pilots!

Based on the great response regarding the original V-Tail clamp designed for the Passer/X glider in the For Sale section, I've decided to open up the possibility of a 2nd batch of clamps designed to include more V-Tail angles/degrees to suit a wider variety of models.

Original Tutorial post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post24192092

Original FS post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24192238

So I'd like to do a little survey of what other configurations people might be interested in. The post format is:
Model: (A link to any relevant threads would be great too)
Angle:
Dimensions: (Length, Width, Height)

Model: R2Hobbies Passer Thermo & Passer X http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823518
V-Tail Angle: 105.5˚
Dimensions: cm: 1.91 w x 0.814 d x 7.2 h i(n: 0.752 w x 0.32 d x 2.835 h)

Model: Aegea Mantis V-Tail
Angle: 100˚
Dimensions: 5.5" Long?

Thanks in advance,
-8th
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:48 AM
On the Go Fly List
United States, CA, Marin County
Joined Dec 2009
521 Posts
I received my clamp. It was a very easy process to put it together. Fits great and very secure.

I was wondering if you could make a complimentary bottom clamp to fit a flat deck. This then could be used on any glider with little or no modification. See attached pics.

Thanks,

Adam
agarchitect is online now Find More Posts by agarchitect
Last edited by agarchitect; Mar 03, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Hi Adam, Thanks for the compliments on my design. :-)
I just replied to your PM before noticing you've posted some clear views of your ship in this thread.

I'm posting part of my reply for the benefit of everyone visiting the thread:
I've thought about this a few times and would like to try a few concepts for both flat & tube mounting situations. What size would the platform be for your "deck style" mount and do you have any drawings/drafts/links of the ship?

The only real concerns I have about this type of mount is the additional weight incurred by the 2nd piece (even though it will be hollow too) and how "clunky" it may appear due to it's required mass. Perhaps something in a sort of "X" shape from end view would be more refined as apposed to following plan view and projecting the edges of the existing clamp straight down to the fuselage. This might look like a brick and interrupt the sleek fuselage profile.

Happy Soaring,
-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 03, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:56 PM
On the Go Fly List
Joined Dec 2009
521 Posts
The little bit of extra weight wouldn't be a problem with some of the slope planes I have in mind. plus to fill in the area between the tails bottoms and flat deck would need to be filled in anyway. I like the idea of an 'x' shaped bottom mount. The bottom mount piece might be glued to the fuse and act to set the tail.

The flat tail deck on the SAMURAI is 1" wide at the front, 3/4" wide at the rear and the length is 5 1/2" long, although I am only using 4" of the deck.

Adam
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:37 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Adam, are you cutting the tail shorter?
In the photos, it looks as though your control surfaces aren't installed on the V-Tail yet and I'm concerned they will hit the fuse.

BTW: Who makes the SAMURAI? It's not the same as the E-Scale powered glider is it?

-8th
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,760 Posts
The Samurai is a discontinued wingeron kit formerly made by SIG. Pretty sure Adam's Samurai is going to be a pitcheron, so no worries about the non-existent elevators hitting the fuse.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:21 PM
On the Go Fly List
Joined Dec 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
The Samurai is a discontinued wingeron kit formerly made by SIG. Pretty sure Adam's Samurai is going to be a pitcheron, so no worries about the non-existent elevators hitting the fuse.
Correct. The tail doesn't move, so no worries about the tail hitting the fuse.

Here is a pic of the clamp in action with an almost completed tail assembly. You can see the front ends of the little balsa shims below the tail that in this case are glued to the plywood "deck" that sits on top of the fuse. I'll sand the shims nice and smooth and eventually paint all to match. A bottom clamp would replace the shims.

I replaced the nylon bolts with metal 6-32 x 1/1/2" bolts since the fuse was a bit deeper than the supplied bolts. The top clamp made easy work of attaching the tails and providing an easy way to remove them. I glued the tails to the top clamp and reinforced the bottom seam with a patch of fiberglass. It a very solid v-tail.

I am not too worried about a little extra weight. I had to add about three ounces to the nose to balance the plane...not bad for a plane like this.
Adam
Last edited by agarchitect; Mar 04, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:50 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Thanks BigSwede. I get it now, the Ninja has an X-Tail and the Samurai is a V.
Just for fun, I thought I'd show a post for one for sale earlier this year:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819393
I really want to try a wingeron....less servos and big control surfaces

agarchitect/Adam,
Looks like a really solid install. I'm glad to see the 6-32 still seem to be recessed/flush.
I'm working on a concept for the bottom piece to mate with the fuse & receive the clamp which will be posted here for discussion.

-8th
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:55 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
V-Tail Clamp & Platform Concept #1

OK, here's a little something I modeled for "deck mount" as suggested by Adam.
It's really robust so my estimated cost (at 5" length) is nearly double that of the Clamp units, but of course it's less if it's only 4".

As you can see, it's hollow and there's some thickness added to the center junction to accommodate drilling for the bolts.

If this concept direction is suitable, I develop it further to be more economical
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:12 AM
On the Go Fly List
Joined Dec 2009
521 Posts
This looks really good. For a plane with a deck the size of the SAMURAI 4" would be better, it maybe just a little overlap from the top clamp. Then if there were elevators the bottom clamp would not be in the way.

I took measurements of another deck mount v-tail plane I have. The front of the deck clamp would be 3/4", the rear 1/2" and have a length of 3". That would allow elevators to be clear of the clamp. This seems to be a more typical deck for a 60" plane as the SAMURAI deck seems to be wider than the others.

Perhaps the portion of the bottom clamp that sits on the deck could be solid, instead of hollow. Then it could be sanded to fit various size decks.

Adam
Last edited by agarchitect; Mar 05, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:19 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Thanks Adam, I think you've touched on some good points here. I'll design the structure to accommodate the smallest common profile and then it can be cut to suit the mounting situation. Thus, it would be an extrusion with a 1" wide base and 1/2 inch wide structure to match that of your other plane.

If the part is solid, it will weight a lot more and be more expensive too.

-8th
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,503 Posts
Question, is this fitting for flat plate stabs only? I saw you listed the Agea Mantis and that is a bagged foam core surfaces, and from what I see, this would not work would it?

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:48 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Hi Marc, the Agea Mantis and other "bagged" foam tails should be fine as long as the holes are drilled "normal" or 90˚ to the surface of each tail's mounting position. Yes, there could be a little gap between the curved parts of the airfoil depending on how far forward/back the Clamp is placed. The prongs are 6mm long, so the foam/glass shouldn't be crushed. They can also be trimmed down to fit the stab thickness since the part is plastic.

For more fragile foam wings, I've epoxied carbon tubes in each stab where they connect to the V-Tail Clamp (as would be done for hard mounts) for extra support and to keep the profile registration.

Hope this helps,
-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 07, 2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Universal platform

OK, I've reworked the model into a Universal version of the deck mount platform based on several great suggestions.

It's 4.0" long with a 1.0" wide base and the stabilizer supports are "normal" to the V-Tail Clamp as before. The center structure at the base is only 0.5" so it can be cut down if required; to match the taper of many popular models.

There's a version with holes which would bring costs (about $1 more per piece) down a little bit and save some weight too. Of course, If everyone is OK with paying a little extra, I'll just have the "solid" platforms made and holes can be drilled wherever you like.

Happy Soaring,
-8th
Last edited by 8thelephant; Mar 11, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:33 PM
On the Go Fly List
Joined Dec 2009
521 Posts
Nice!

Looks like this will work for many platforms. I like that the part that attaches to the deck can be cut to fit each model without affecting the supports above. I'd prefer the solid version. If weight is not an issue the solid version affords more flexibility when cutting to fit; it it is then drill holes...elegant solution.

Adam