HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Question
Smallest gasoline for these boats

I have 6 of these that are 4.5 pounds now. Should be 5 pounds covered & varnished, wood hull only.

For non racing running.

What is a motor that is cheap & would get it on plane ? Plus a little extra. Cost is a big factor with 6 identical boats. I can put a turbine inlet hood for cool air in & blow the engine exhaust plus engine heat out the turbine exhaust pipe.
No racing stuff . I can not afford that cost for six boats

Thank you
Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,824 Posts
Zenoah recently released a 20 cc engine that's also water-cooled. Aftermarket parts are slow in coming right now was you'd have to fabricate motor mounts as standard ones are too big.
K&B also known as www.mecoa.com used to if they still don't sold a compact 17 cc for small indy-type RC cars.
What the prices on either of those is I don't know.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 AM
United States, MN, Nisswa
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I know you said gasoline, but if you consider nitro power there are some cheap engines at hobbypartz.com This is the web address that will take you straight to the engines. http://www.hobbypartz.com/enforrcbo.html They have a 2.5cc that will easily get that boat up on plane, but not give you racing speeds for $49.77 If you wanted to go a little faster you could always go with the 7.5cc for $65.00 Not too many reviews on these motors, they would probably be considered low grade engines, but I have two of them and they work great for me in the boats I just mess around with.
Tunnelnut is offline Find More Posts by Tunnelnut
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:30 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,608 Posts
ASP are not bad for their price but a 2.5cc engine of any brand would not move these rather large and heavy hulls at planning speed! Hydroplanes requires lot of power to run 3-points as intended.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
323 Posts
If you have 5" engine rails Gizmo Motors has gasoline engines(not nitro) from $110 shipped http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=56
sleepwalker is online now Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
I have 4 1/8" inside to inside of the stringers. I can easily rebuild out to anything..
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:05 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
This size hull definitely needs 11cc nitro, or about 20-26cc gas for power. A 2.5cc engine is more home in a 24" hull than a 40"+ hull.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I have 6 of these that are 4.5 pounds now. Should be 5 pounds covered & varnished, wood hull only.

For non racing running.

What is a motor that is cheap & would get it on plane ? Plus a little extra. Cost is a big factor with 6 identical boats. I can put a turbine inlet hood for cool air in & blow the engine exhaust plus engine heat out the turbine exhaust pipe.
No racing stuff . I can not afford that cost for six boats

Thank you
Rich
Homelite 25 cc engines are your best option. They are cheap and easy to find. You could also use Echo 20-22cc motors. You will have to have 5" rails.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Last edited by txt killer; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:02 AM.