HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
CX2 or MCX2

I am very new to the sport having flown Syma 107g and it's Cobra counterpart. I have very good control over them both. I have an aviation background, but besides the two Syma's no RC experience.

I feel the need to gradually work my way up the ladder to true collective pitch Helicopters, but am NOT ready yet and I want to do this gradually. From all I've heard the difference between the real thing and the RC is quite substantial and I really want to do the right thing. I'm willing to be patient for the set skills needed to make the various transitions

My question is based on looking around these and other BB's the consensus seems to be that Blade makes VERY good coaxials with another 4th channel. I feel this would a good first step. I plan on some flying indoors and very minor outside in dead calm conditions.

I was hoping for an honest assessment of the following two Blade coaxials.
CX2 or MCX2

I'm hoping for something that will be easy to fix and durable, and that flys rock solid.

Thanks in advance, any input (good or bad) is appreciated.
Sinloi is offline Find More Posts by Sinloi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,706 Posts
MCX2 is very durable and quite precise handling. But, it's slow and gets boring rather quickly. It's biggest flaw is it doesn't give you a realistic sense for heli physics. The CX2 is much bigger and heavier and has a much more realistic feel. But, it's not nearly as durable and requires a few mods to help in that area. It will teach you more. Any heli you buy will require you to unlearn the bad things a 3 channel taught you.

Realistically, self-stabilizing micro FP helis and quads have pretty well taken over the beginners market.They are more durable, have fewer parts to break and offer much broader performance ranges in exchange for being a little more difficult to learn. Quads in particular, have really taken off (no pun intended). They have no moving parts, so they are extremely durable and easy to fix. They can be incredibly stable, to the point where you can take off with one hand.

The Blade MQX is recommended by many of us as the trainer of choice for any beginner. You only have to buy one to take you from beginner, to a point where you can fly a CP heli, because it responds faster than a CP heli and has more movement authority. A quad is very passive. You can fly it as gentle or as aggressive as you like. That gives it a huge performance range.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Thanks for the input. Would it be a good idea to skip the 4 channel coax and go straight to a fixed pitch? If so, what would be a recommendation for a very good one.

The Quads seem to have limited appeal to me. I've seen them "floating" around Brookstone and don't like the fact you have to use your cell phone or ipad to control them. But, then again I'm probably dead wrong being such a new person at this hobby.

Once again thanks!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,706 Posts
You are dead wrong about quads. You control a MQx with the same controller you would use for a MCX2. And they don't just "float around", they are capable of outperforming just about anything but a very good CP heli.

Here is a Blade MQx with a DX6i transmitter:
Blade mQX Flips & Aerobatic Flight (0 min 59 sec)

Here is an MWC aerobatic quad:
best toy ever (multicopter) (2 min 25 sec)

They aren't pretty, but they are excellent learning tools and you don't have to stick to them. When you are learning, you don't need pretty, just something that flies well and is cheap and easy to maintain.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Wow, I stand corrected! That is amazing. I apologize for being so dim witted. My experience with then as mentioned was at Brookstone.
I am going to seriously look at one of these babies.
Thanks a lot, for putting me on the right path!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:42 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,706 Posts
Here's my MQx with McDonalds ice cream treat canopy... it's great for orientation!

Also my MWC X250 quad. I don't have to worry about orientation with it.

I've crashed my MQx at least 100 times, with no damage. Serious crashes, too; like missing a loop from 40 feet. I did change blades because they were getting quite beat-up and bent. The X250 is much more powerful, but won't take that kind of beating.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
922 Posts
I'm pretty certain that the second video was Warthox. He is an expert 3-D pilot that can fly anything with a motor on it.
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,706 Posts
Amazing, isn't he? Makes it look so easy!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:47 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
382 Posts
If you want to go with a fixed pitch heli, I think the Blade 120 SR would be a good choice. It's almost as stable as a 4 channel coaxial.
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFiend View Post
If you want to go with a fixed pitch heli, I think the Blade 120 SR would be a good choice. It's almost as stable as a 4 channel coaxial.
Thanks, how would that translate for me when I make the move to collective pitch birds?

I am in this for the long haul, and ultimately would like a very nice scale bird.
I have NO desire to be doing aerobatics, they simply don't appeal to me. I am experienced in flying Hueys (uh1b), however have not flown one since 1969. So I'm a little (lot) rusty!

I am getting a lot of great ideas here, and appreciate the feedback.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,706 Posts
A 120SR is a decent beginner heli, but leaves a huge step up to a CP heli. Self-stabilizing FP helis have very limited movement authority and are over-stabilized.