HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Discussion
Grass.

My old school nicad powered brush motor in my RC-10 gets hot running around in the thick south Florida grass. What would you guys suggest I get to replace my old RC-10?

I don't like gas or nitro powered buggies because I like to blast around in front of my house in the middle of the night.
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno
Last edited by liduno; Mar 04, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
first things first, whats your price range? that is the first step to choosing the right truck.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
first things first, whats your price range? that is the first step to choosing the right truck.
I didn't really set one yet, I guess I'm looking for an RTR that can ball through grass with out cooking.

I would like a brushless set up but I don't want to have to buy a truck or buggy then spend another 300 on an esc and a motor.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
winfield Ia
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Check out something like a Stampede.
Reddog170 is offline Find More Posts by Reddog170
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog170 View Post
Check out something like a Stampede.
Thanks for the suggestion and I may be totally wrong here, but the integrated cooling fan in the motor seems a little gimmicky to me, that and I'm wanting to go with a RTR brushless setup.

I do think you may be on the right track with the bigger tires for the grass though, I don't really like monster trucks so maybe I need to go bigger than 1/10 scale.

1/8 scale stadium truck maybe?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Or maybe 4 wheel drive 1/10 scale.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
winfield Ia
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
This is what I was thinking. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUY**&P=ML
Reddog170 is offline Find More Posts by Reddog170
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog170 View Post
AAHH ok , the stampede I googled after you mentioned it was a brush motor with an internal fan.

I'm sure the one you posted would have no trouble at all with grass..lol

I have been looking around different websites since I started this thread and I think i'm digging the 4wd short course 1/10 trucks.

I am a ''team associated'' fan from way back, are the current associated trucks top quality like they were back in the day?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
They're good trucks, but they'll have a really hard time with thick grass too as they don't have a ton of ground clearance.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
They're good trucks, but they'll have a really hard time with thick grass too as they don't have a ton of ground clearance.
Yeah I could see that being a problem, I just don't really like monster trucks.

Maybe an all wheel drive associated truck with slightly taller tires.

The wind has calmed around here so my helis have been getting more use, Im not in such a rush to get a truck now..lol

I'm still gonna get one but I will probably sell some of my vintage stuff first.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
My Slash 4x4 works good in the grass, I'd imagine the Stampede with it's bigger tires and greater ground clearance would probably work even better.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
My Slash 4x4 works good in the grass, I'd imagine the Stampede with it's bigger tires and greater ground clearance would probably work even better.
I love the look of the slash 4x4 , how would you compare it to a similarly outfitted associated truck?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
USA, AR, Greenbrier
Joined Jan 2011
134 Posts
The SLash and Torment are not the best handling SCT's they both have a high center of Gravity, so they roll easier than other brands.
You might look at the Evader Brushless too.

We run a pair of torment brushed trucks around in the brass without issue around here but the grass hasn't come out completely for spring yet.

I'm partial to the simplicity of the 2wd trucks, just less to tear up and easier to fix when it does happen.
Caish is offline Find More Posts by Caish
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
The SLash and Torment are not the best handling SCT's they both have a high center of Gravity, so they roll easier than other brands.
You might look at the Evader Brushless too.

We run a pair of torment brushed trucks around in the brass without issue around here but the grass hasn't come out completely for spring yet.

I'm partial to the simplicity of the 2wd trucks, just less to tear up and easier to fix when it does happen.
I normally wouldn't go 4 wd either but the grass around my neighborhood is that super thick south florida grass so i'm thinking 4 wd is the way to go..

So far I'm really liking the looks of the sc10.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Another question if you guys don't mind, why does the sc10 come with a 3 channel radio? Whats the 3rd channel for?