Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Kyle, God only knows how many times I've thrown this link out there
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

EVERYTHING is in there that we've been discussing. At this point I'd rather be sticking needles in my eyes

Mike.
I was hoping you would chime in with the link to that site. It is a good source of info and actually should be a "must read" for anyone using LiPo batts.

Thanks Bro,

Kyle
BattleDude is online now Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:51 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
The weather is GORGEOUS in Virginia Beach!!!!
Flying weather?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:27 PM
120SR, DX6i
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
I wouldn't think the battery would cause this but still...4C charge rate ? On a new lipo, no less ? I wouldn't think it'd be good for the battery.
I hope the damage wasn't too bad. Did you try it after that event with another battery ?
Yes, did try different battery. Same thing. Ordered new 5-in-1 from Horizon today. Imagine that'll fix it. Funny, the problem first surfaced right after I installed an Xtreme ball bearing motor about a month ago. Have since reinstalled the stock one but the problem remained. Rethinking things, I don't think the G3s are the problem.
Dave2814 is offline Find More Posts by Dave2814
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:29 PM
120SR, DX6i
United States, AL, Phenix City
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Yes, did try different battery. Same thing. Ordered new 5-in-1 from Horizon today. Imagine that'll fix it. Funny, the problem first surfaced right after I installed an Xtreme ball bearing motor about a month ago. Have since reinstalled the stock one but the problem remained. Rethinking things, I don't think the G3s are the problem.
Dave2814 is offline Find More Posts by Dave2814
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
I agree. "hijacking" would be a little harsh as we do talk about all things 120SR, on this thread, including how to set up a charger for the batteries it uses, plus a few other topics also.

However, I think stuball56 has a point.

Grampi, some of the basic questions you have been asking has me concerned that you may need to study up a little, before making your own charger leads and such.

1C is a term that anyone and everyone should fully understand before attempting to modify a LiPo charger, or its leads.

1C is the recommended charge rate for the E-Flite batteries that come with the 120SR. Charging a 500mAh batt at .5 amps equals a 1C charge rate. Charging that same batt at 1 amp would be 2C. Understand? 1C is the exact same rate that you are saying is too slow for you.

I highly recommend that you take a crash course in charging LiPo batts before you get too far into your modifications. For your own safety, if nothing else.

I noticed the input specs on your charger (11v to 15v DC). Does it have an AC input also, or will you just be charging from a 12v DC source? May be a point to consider?

Also wondering if the green connector terminals on the back of the charger are labeled, and if so, what are they labeled?

BD
There's a couple reasons I'd rather use my DN charger than the one supplied with the 120 RTF. I can set the charge rate anywhere from .2 amps to 2 amps on the DN. The RTF charger can only supply .7 amps to one battery, which means charging 4 batteries simaltaniously it will only charge at .175 amps...this would make for some long charge times. I can set my DN to charge 4 batteries at .5 amps each, plus it conditions the batteries while it charges them. I actually used to know all this stuff, but I've been away from it for a while so I'm trying to clear out the cobbwebbs.

I do all my charging with the DN using an AC adapter. Not sure what the green connector is for, I've never used it and I don't have the unit with me to look at it.
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
There's a couple reasons I'd rather use my DN charger than the one supplied with the 120 RTF.
We knew that. Most of us are charging multiple lipos on after-market computerized chargers. We were just wondering how to make yours work without banana plugs as most chargers and 1S parallel harnesses have those. Then you started talking about pulling 2A off each outlet and we started to get concerned.
Glad you have it sorted.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:01 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,818 Posts
Am just heading out the door, but a couple comments on some stuff I've read here over the past 24 hours...

There are some very knowledgeable and experienced flyers in the Carbon Cub threads who will tell you that some of the marketing claims about charge rates on some of the popular latest generation lipos are not just being optimistic... they will in fact charge at the higher C rates with no detriment to the battery.

RG Groups member RCBABBEL is a good source for great "brand name" batteries... He does them up in connector configurations that people want but can't get stock from the manufacturers.

As I can no longer get my larger lipos internationally out of the U.S., I was looking at the Turnigy Nanotechs which can ship from HK out of China and really wanted to pull the trigger on some, but, after 2 or 3 days researching them and reading customer reviews I decided to shy away. It might be financially feasible for American customers to send bad ones back if need be to the U.S. warehouse, but for me I'd have to send them back to China which would cost me more than the battery itself. I'm seeing alot of customers getting these batteries DOA or with unbalanced cells that will never correct. Also, a local acquaintance and flying buddy warned me that the Nanotechs aren't even built as well as the regular Turnigy... he has taken them apart.

For my larger batts, I've decided to stick with the brand I've been using in my RC cars... Gens Ace, which are said by many to be hands down the cream of the crop of the "bargain brand" lipos. Unfortunately, I can no longer get these from hobbypartz out of the U.S. (hobbypartz can go to anyway, for other reasons) so I found a place direct out of China that sells (legitimate) ones... just not at as much of a bargain when all is said and done but it's worth it. I must put in a little disclaimer that some people have received bum Gens Ace as well... I think you get the odd lemon with any brand.

... I know most of us flying the 120SR are just using regular 1S lipos which are a dime a dozen and there are many good brands, many of which can be bought locally, but I know some of you are using larger 2S and have other birds that use 2S and 3S batts ... so, just throwin' all that out there.

Gotta run.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling of member's name
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:06 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Flying weather?
Sorry I didn't get back to you too soon. I was too busy flying!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:10 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
There's a couple reasons I'd rather use my DN charger than the one supplied with the 120 RTF. I can set the charge rate anywhere from .2 amps to 2 amps on the DN. The RTF charger can only supply .7 amps to one battery, which means charging 4 batteries simaltaniously it will only charge at .175 amps...this would make for some long charge times. I can set my DN to charge 4 batteries at .5 amps each, plus it conditions the batteries while it charges them. I actually used to know all this stuff, but I've been away from it for a while so I'm trying to clear out the cobbwebbs.

I do all my charging with the DN using an AC adapter. Not sure what the green connector is for, I've never used it and I don't have the unit with me to look at it.
Cobbwebbs! You have come to the right place to get help clearing them out.
I come here to get mine cleared out, regularly!

Your calculations look good to me, as long as we are talking about a 500mAh battery. Go to 550 or 600 or such, and that changes things a bit also.

What happens when you hook up 4 600's? Less charge per batt, or overload the charger?

And as Brian says most chargers have a banana jack output. Mine has both, balance and banana jacks. 1S batts I can charge straight from the banana jacks. 2S and more have to be hooked up to the balance connector also, or my charger will alarm at me. So I was wondering what the green connector was, is it output?
Last edited by BattleDude; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:14 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,341 Posts
Quote:
Sweet!
Not here, snow and cold! 19F high today. Brr.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,230 Posts
Quote:
You didn't crash did you? I have not heard you talk about one lately.Ws
Wind Spirit is online now Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
ha! Need you ask! I've got 3 120 SRs and 4 UM airplanes to fix! Been getting behind lately due to 8 projects going at the same time. I just can't be a single-minded soul. I've always got to have at least 3 things on the bench, 5 future projects in my head and absolutely no plans to get any of it completed!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:12 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,230 Posts
Quote:
ha! Need you ask! I've got 3 120 SRs and 4 UM airplanes to fix! Been getting behind lately due to 8 projects going at the same time. I just can't be a single-minded soul. I've always got to have at least 3 things on the bench, 5 future projects in my head and absolutely no plans to get any of it completed!
I hear ya, and now you have more free time so you can add more projects. Glad for ya. Hope you enjoy your retirement. Wish I was able to, maybe in a few more years.WS
Wind Spirit is online now Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
I hear ya, and now you have more free time so you can add more projects. Glad for ya. Hope you enjoy your retirement. Wish I was able to, maybe in a few more years.WS
Thanks! Everyone tells me that they were busier in retirement than when working. I hope means they were doing more stuff they wanted to do. For me, that 1/4-size R/C space shuttle on booster is getting closer to reality! That is, if I every concentrate on one project long enough!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
Quote:
What happens when you hook up 4 600's? Less charge per batt, or overload the charger?
No overloading, just bump up the charging amperage a bit...it'll do 2 amps X 4 batteries....
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi