HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2001, 09:15 PM
4 Point Landing
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Sep 2001
475 Posts
Graupner terry vs. Zagi ><>< which to get

I have a firebird original and a 2 meter elec sailplane. Now I want a foamy and I am down to these two planes.

All personal thoughts on these would be helpful. I am leaning towards the Terry due to ease of flying and still be capable of stunts.

Thanks,
FRED420
fred420 is offline Find More Posts by fred420
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2001, 09:31 PM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
United States, TX, Justin
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
After learning on a buddies Zagi, I want a more conventional plane and bought a Terry. Even with the addition of ailerons, I'd say a stock Zagi 400-X is more impressive when it comes to "stunts". Not to mention, more durable on the not-so-successful stunts (crash). I fly my Terry now when I want to relax...

Terry

tphillips is offline Find More Posts by tphillips
Last edited by tphillips; Sep 17, 2001 at 04:46 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2001, 09:31 PM
L.L. N.M. U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
149 Posts
I also like the Terry. I have one and really like to fly it. I don't want to get into a flame here. I do not own a Zaggi however I fly with several guys that do. The Terry looks like a real air plane and will even thermal well in the right conditions. It will do everything that a elev/rudd plane can do however the Zaggy is a step toward aleron training. They are both good planes and are better than most ARF'S.
Jim Ward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ward
Old Sep 15, 2001, 10:38 PM
AW
Sugar Land, TX
Joined Feb 2001
124 Posts
I currently own both and fly both. I think it all depends on your style of flying or what you expect out of a plane. The previous two posts bring out good points. I would say that without ailerons, the Terry is capable of mild stunts, but all around an excellent flyer.

The Zagi on the other hand seems to be the swiss army knife of planes. I flew the stock 400x setup for awhile, upgraded to the 450T setup, then chopped 12" out of the middle. Now it screams through the air and is a blast.

Since you say you already have a sailplane, I would vote for the Zagi. In my eyes, the Terry is kind of a "mini-sailplane" The Zagi will provide months of faithful service, is durable, fun and easy to modify. Plus you can always get into Zagi combat...there is no such thing as Terry combat........
AW is offline Find More Posts by AW
Old Sep 15, 2001, 11:20 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,794 Posts
I own 2 zagis now and really enjoy the durability of this aircraft. Knowing this while I'm flying lets me attempt more extreme stunts(I'm still working on that flat-spin Dave) that I wouldn't be trying with my other planes.

As for ease of flying, the zagi does have alittle steeper learning curve than a wing/tail type of aircraft, but once you catch that 'click' of flying a wing(and setting it up), which really takes no time at all(and the zagi can handle it), its a blast.

About 2 months ago I almost bought a Terry and after doing some research I figured it wouldn't stand up to my style of landings, so I can't really comment about this plane.

You can look at it this way too, it sounds like your hooked into this E-flying stuff as bad as I and most of us here are and you've flown wing/tail type of aircraft already, treat yourself to a zagi(your going to get one eventuality anyway, right ?)and find out what everybody else is talking about. It's a different type of flying that I think most would enjoy, I know I have.
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Sep 15, 2001, 11:38 PM
Senior Member ??
Southern California, USA
Joined Sep 2001
388 Posts
GET A ZAGI.

I am new to RC. Started flying again in June after being away for 20 years. All I have is a Zagi. 48 flights. It is strong, easily repaired, and fun. Knowing how crash resistant it is will accelerate your learning by allowing you to take more "chances". Aileron turns are positive, and quick. Flying a Zagi requires your full attention, but the rewards are great. It's also made in the USA.

I am building a lite stick tonight. I want something that's a little more relaxing.

Good Luck!
ETKing is offline Find More Posts by ETKing
Old Sep 16, 2001, 03:34 AM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
get a terry.

it fly's alot better that a zagi.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Sep 16, 2001, 04:11 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
well you did start with the question of what plane to get terry is an airplane, zagi is not i have flown both. zagi is alot more durable - no question. terry can be fun but it needs upgrades to get that way. your reward, though, is a real fun airplane. zagi is, and always will be, a zagi. im going to quit now before i say something my felow club members will help me regret
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg
Old Sep 16, 2001, 09:47 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
I have both and they do fly differently. I fly the Terry when I want a relaxing time of it. I like them both, but the flying styles are different. The Zagi is great just to let loose on and get some of my anxiety out (like this morning). I have had excellent flights with the Terry as a slope soarer. Same with the Zagi.

The comments about the modifications to the Terry are correct. Be prepared to fly it a few times then start putting some carbon tape across the top and bottom of the wing. There is a page somewhere that shows you how to do this. In summary, I would say the Zagi is a very fast, extremely agile plane while the Terry is more like a sailplane. Both are very fast, but the Zagi can execute some amazing turns.

Here's the page about the Terry mods
Terry Mod
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Sep 16, 2001 at 09:53 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 11:03 AM
4 Point Landing
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Sep 2001
475 Posts
The responses are great Still undecided, maybe I will get the Terry now and LET my wife get me the Zagi for Christmas.

Thanks agin for your thoughts,
FRED420
fred420 is offline Find More Posts by fred420
Old Sep 16, 2001, 10:35 PM
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
94 Posts
Get the Terry! It looks like a real plane.
Zagis look like electrified hang gliders.
ShinySteelRobot is offline Find More Posts by ShinySteelRobot
Old Sep 17, 2001, 10:00 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
I have a zagi 400 and it didn't do the stunts I needed, I am at 5500 ft and it just didn't have enough kick, so I got a manx, very fast plane(has fuselage) it is a bullet in the air but ALLOT MORE up keep. I never once had more than a few hours of down time with the zagi, and now I wish I hadn't stripped it down and turned it into and sloper because as fun as the manx is it is so much more maintance and up keep than the zagi. I haven't had the problems with the zagi I have with the other plane and I should have upgrades the motor or something similar instead of a new plane.
I think that is the point I never got. It is fun, won't break, no maintaince, upgradable to the moon, and should be in everyones plane list so while you are working on your other planes you always have the zagi to fly!
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Last edited by Vinnya42; Sep 17, 2001 at 10:02 AM.