HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:24 AM
3DHS 'native'
going4speed's Avatar
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
Clear nail polish at the edge works like a charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimmons View Post
Yea I ironed it back down but it also had a lot of air bubbles. I then pealed it up and tried rapid tac a solution that I use to put down vinal. That was better on the bubbles but it came right off just picking up the plane. I noticed the other side is starting to work up. I just unwraped this bird last friday. It hasn't even been outside yet.

Still looking for a perment fix.
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Has anyone done the aluminum gear mod on this? I think ill be getting one
Not needed Chad...it'll probably add weight to make it rigid engough for 9-10#.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
Park_aviator's Avatar
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Not needed Chad...it'll probably add weight to make it rigid engough for 9-10#.
Well, the gear is cracked on the one I'm getting though. I also will need a new cowl and canopy. (Orange Electric)
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Does anyone run the a50-12l v2 on 6 cell? How does it perform?
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Santi
DaaBears's Avatar
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
Does anyone run the a50-12l v2 on 6 cell? How does it perform?
I do, it performs nicely. Not a rocket like my 48-60 sized birds but I'm enjoying it. Made me a bit smoother of a pilot. I still have unlimited vertical, and plenty of pull out of a hover swinging a 20x10.

Wamsy flew mine the other day and flew the heck out of it, recommended a prop and I've loved it since!

The thought crossed my mind about moving up to an 8s motor, but I already have 6 6s packs and am completely content with the power this is putting out.

I like all my motrofly motors better than this hacker. But I don't have issues with it...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on one thanks. Its actually not for a slick.. its for an extreme flight 70" extra EXP.

I think the EF it about the same weight or less so this should work?
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:57 PM
Climate Refugee
alfabeast's Avatar
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I do, it performs nicely. Not a rocket like my 48-60 sized birds but I'm enjoying it. Made me a bit smoother of a pilot. I still have unlimited vertical, and plenty of pull out of a hover swinging a 20x10.

Wamsy flew mine the other day and flew the heck out of it, recommended a prop and I've loved it since!

The thought crossed my mind about moving up to an 8s motor, but I already have 6 6s packs and am completely content with the power this is putting out.

I like all my motrofly motors better than this hacker. But I don't have issues with it...
ditto. I tried the a50-12L on 8s for a bit, liked the slick with the 6s better and bigger prop, 20 x 10 vs 18-8 on the 8s.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:33 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,315 Posts
Ok finally got my 20x8 props in and was able to do some testing with the 4330-216. All tests were static on the bench 70degrees F @ 140 feet ASL. Readings were with the Castle logger at 10 readings per second (10Hz), so numbers were more accurate.
APC 19x8E
Just weighed it 70g

APC 20x8E
Weight 112g
Peak: 8167 RPM, 3123 watts, 69.8 amps, 44.8 volts
Settled in: 7990 RPM, 2749 amps, 63.1 amps 43.6 volts

Xoar 19x8 PJN
Weight 54g
Peak: 8330 RPM, 2855 watts, 63.8 amps, 44.8 volts
Settled in: 8124 RPM, 2518 watts, 57.8 amps, 43.5 volts

Xoar 20x8 PJN
Weight 61g
Peak: 8102 RPM, 3180 watts, 71.3 amps, 44.6 volts
Settled in: 7947 RPM, 2863 amps, 65.5 amps, 43.7 volts

Strictly from a numbers point of view I should go with the APC, but I will run the Xoar 20x8 due to the lighter prop being less wear and tear from gyroscopic maneuvers. Spool up was noticeably slower with the heavier APC. I wish I had the means for measuring static thrust. I will see lower numbers in the air and the 20x8 props settled in right where I wanted them to so I am happy.

A little difference between the 19x8E and 20x8E APC props. I wonder if they changed there design to lighten up props recently. In the picture the 20x8 on top has a thicker hub and thicker blades. Both are thin E props, but the 20" is 42grams heavier and significantly thicker.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:54 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Ok finally got my 20x8 props in and was able to do some testing with the 4330-216. All tests were static on the bench 70degrees F @ 140 feet ASL. Readings were with the Castle logger at 10 readings per second (10Hz), so numbers were more accurate.
APC 19x8E
Just weighed it 70g

APC 20x8E
Weight 112g
Peak: 8167 RPM, 3123 watts, 69.8 amps, 44.8 volts
Settled in: 7990 RPM, 2749 amps, 63.1 amps 43.6 volts

Xoar 19x8 PJN
Weight 54g
Peak: 8330 RPM, 2855 watts, 63.8 amps, 44.8 volts
Settled in: 8124 RPM, 2518 watts, 57.8 amps, 43.5 volts

Xoar 20x8 PJN
Weight 61g
Peak: 8102 RPM, 3180 watts, 71.3 amps, 44.6 volts
Settled in: 7947 RPM, 2863 amps, 65.5 amps, 43.7 volts

Strictly from a numbers point of view I should go with the APC, but I will run the Xoar 20x8 due to the lighter prop being less wear and tear from gyroscopic maneuvers. Spool up was noticeably slower with the heavier APC. I wish I had the means for measuring static thrust. I will see lower numbers in the air and the 20x8 props settled in right where I wanted them to so I am happy.

A little difference between the 19x8E and 20x8E APC props. I wonder if they changed there design to lighten up props recently. In the picture the 20x8 on top has a thicker hub and thicker blades. Both are thin E props, but the 20" is 42grams heavier and significantly thicker.
Gulp! anything over 2500 watts on the 71 slick is like putting a 428 cobra jet in a volkswagon beetle lol in my opinion. Saweet!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Team Hillbilly
tominator06's Avatar
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I really like the feel of the xoar over the apc in the 20x10 size. The Apc was noisy as well.
428 in a beetle is fun though!!
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
I've been having issues with my gasser ever since I got a new carb. We couldn't get the idle to settle down when the engine had a good tune. The only way we could get it to slow down was to tune it rich on the low end and obviously that had bad side-effects. We thought there must be an air leak somewhere so we went through the whole motor and replaced all of the gaskets. It still has the problem so we finally decided there must be something screwy with the carb. Took it off and started examining it more closely.

The throttle butterfly has daylight showing all the way around it when closed. The quality of the butterfly was really poor as well. It looked like the punch-out machine needed a new dye or something... It is hard to explain but the edges looked like they had been pressed till the pressure caused the metal to kind of roll back on itself. I don't know how anyone assembling a carb with that part would let it pass. The carb is labeled walbro, but after getting two faulty ones in a row it has to make you wonder if they are really legit.

I'm putting the part from the old carb in there and it should be a whole new engine. We actually made a piece by hand out of some aluminum siding trim that worked a lot better than the piece that was in there and all we had were scissors and a sanding block. It was fun and kept us at the field but I still didn't like it enough to put a flight on it like that.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
You know mejzlik has new electric cf ultra light 20x8 props that are only 36 grams .
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:04 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,315 Posts
Link?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:12 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
DA carries them but I don't see where the weights are listed.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:14 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Its on the mejzlik web site. I'm hoping l can get a few of them. Wonder if da can get them in.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM