Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:22 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Build Log
New Mini DS **Plans and Specs** **NEW VIDEO UPLOADED**

Links to Plans and Specs for Scratch Builders:

Parts List (for balsa fuse/sheeted wing)
Battery Cells
Vertical Stabilizer Plan
Horizontal Stabilizer Plan
Wing Plan
Wing Plan Dimensioned
Fuselage Template | how-to
Fuselage Plan | build sequence 1 | build sequence 2 | build sequence 3 | build sequence 4 | build sequence 5
Tail Fillets
Wing Servo Location Plan
Formers / Bulkheads Sizes
Elevator Pushrod
Tips, Tricks and Finishing Touches
Starting CG, Throws, Expo/Diff
Light-Wind CG Range
Ballast Information
Heavy-Ballast CG Range

***UPDATED 6/14/2009***

So I decided to update my trusty old Mini 1 which has served me well for almost 20 years. I am sticking with the old-school spirit of the original kit, with some critical modifications to improve its DS performance.

FUSELAGE: I changed the fuselage profile to be sleeker with less wing incidence. The fuselage is built-up like the original Mini 1 kit but is wrapped in a layer of light glass. The length is over 2" longer to allow less nose weight to be used. The elevator servo is mounted behind the rear wing hold down.

WING: The wing planform has minor changes: the wingspan is reduced to 28" and the AR is reduced. The airfoil is changed to the RG14 and thinned to 7.5%. The length of the ailerons is shorter but they are now 20% of chord and tapered with the wing. The wing has no spars or internal ballast. The wing core is EPP (what I had on hand at the time) and is sheeted with 1/64" plywood with a balsa LE and Tips.

H-STAB: The h-stab is thicker and more foiled. The elevator is is smaller chordwise to improve resolution at high speed.

V-STAB: The v-stab is much taller and wider with a different outline than the Mini 1 to improve yaw stability through the shear. It also much thicker with more foiling.

RADIO: I am using a custom 4-cell square NiMH 650mah pack at 4.8v. The plane will be flown on 2.4ghz to elimate the mile of antenna hanging out the back. The reciever is the Spektrum 6100e. Elevator servo is the E-Flite S75 sub micro servo. I started with 2 E-Flite S-75 servos for the ailerons but they flutter around 135mph due to all the internal slop so I switched to the Hitec HS-65HB "Mighty Feather" servos that have basically zero slop and hopefully no speed limit.

FINISH: The fuselage and custom servo covers are finished in Neon Red-Orange paint. The tail feathers and wing are covered with Monokote. The surfaces are hinged with the same packing tape I use to hinge my JW60.

COLOR SCHEME: The entire plane is neon red-orange. Two neon yellow stripes under the wing give visual orientation to this little bird.

WEIGHT: The plane came in at 12.5oz unballasted. With ballast she weighed in at 25.6oz and flew to 137mph but fluttered. With the new servos, I plan to fly her at 28oz and should easily hit the 150mph-175mph zone or higher.

*******K & A MODELS "MINI 1" SPECS*******
Wing Span - 28.5"
Length - 23"
Wing Area - 164 sq.in.
Wing loading - 9-10 oz./ sq. ft.
Ready weight - 10.5 - 11 oz.
Airfoil-Eppler 374 Mod
Current Airframe Record: 118mph

Comments: The latest Mini 1 from K&A Models looks like a fantastic value: prefinished moulded parts, 1-hour build time and light weight for lively frontside action. For the money and time investment, it is a great deal and an inexpensive way to add a small plane to your quiver. Please post any first-hand flight reports of the new kit from K&A.

********MINI DS SPECS********
Wingspan: 28"
Length: 26"
Wing Area: 144 sq.in.
Wing Loading: 12.5 -32 oz./ sq. ft.
Ready Weight: 12.5 oz. unballasted / 32 oz. fully ballasted
Airfoil: RG14 @ 7.5%
Minimum Wind: 6mph
Current Airframe Record: 167mph
Flutter speed with E-Flite S75 servos and "normal" linkages: ~135mph
Flutter speed with Hitec HS-65HB servos and MTS linkages: Not Known

Comments: The Mini DS is an all new plane designed specifically for dynamic soaring and high speed. While it is a completely different plane from the Mini 1, it is designed to capture the old-school charm of the original Mini 1. The Mini DS is not designed or sold by K&A Models. It is not intended as a frontside plane. The Mini DS flies best when loaded heavy in good wind. Plans will be available as a free pdf download for scratch builders from this thread. It is not a beginner airplane. A seasoned pilot with some DS skill will find it to be a handful at first. A skilled DS pilot will have no problem flying the ship. The Mini DS, as a dynamic soaring training aid, will help pilots hone their reflexes and improve their circuits.

******MINI DS "PRO" SPECS*******
Wingspan: 30"
Length: 27"
Wing Area: 144 sq.in.
Wing Loading: 32oz.
Ready Weight: 32oz.
Airfoil: NACA 64a210

Comments: I am making moulds for an "unlimited" Mini DS. There will be changes to the standard Mini DS profiles to exploit the composite construction. Stay tuned.

******MINI DS "HORBANGER" SPECS*******
Wingspan: 12"
Length: TBD
Wing Area: TBD
Wing Loading: TBD
Ready Weight: TBD
Airfoil: TBD

Comments: Today's micro-miniature onboard radio systems allow for unheard-of small planes. I am adapting a plane I designed/built/flew in the '80s for these systems and with the single purpose of DS'ing. How small is too small?
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Last edited by Aerogance; Aug 17, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2008, 02:45 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,288 Posts
This is Aaron, right? I thought that wing looked familiar! Look forward to seeing the redesigned version at Kanan.

Brett
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:12 AM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,557 Posts
Hope you have some grass to land on... Balsa brings new meaning to the name "crunchie". Looks pretty cool though!
threcixty is online now Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:04 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Aerogance,
Sorry for the threadjack, but your picture of the Mini may help to solve a mystery for me.

About 10 years ago, I ordered a P-38 PSS from K&A models. There where a number of delays in getting the plane to me. I crated it up when it came and shipped it to the UK from Nebraska with the rest of my stuff (it arrived on the day the truck came to get the crates, I did not even open it). Last year, I finally opened up the P-38 and built it. To my surpriese, there was another model in the box with a note saying something like "sorry for the delay, we have been working on this and put one in for your trouble". I never knew what it was called or anything about it.

I put it together as a slope-on-a-rope bird. I bungee it from small places and do acros. It is also a good slope flyer. I do not know the pedigree of your mini, but it sounds like it is your own design. Looking at the pictures, is it possible that these are one and the same plane? Mine has a FG fuse, balsa over foam cores and sheet balsa tail feathers. There were no plans, instructions or drawings. All that was there were the cores, the fuse and a tracing for the tail group.

Again, sorry for the thread-jack. I have been wondering what this model is.

Cheers,
Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:30 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
hope so...

Aaron and John had the Mini1 going at Parker, great little flyer. Tailslide I hope you have a Mini1 I bet a few mouse clicks with my morning coffe that it is. Hope you don't mind me using your photo,

Anyone know more specs., weight, foil, maker... for the Mini1?
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:05 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Tailslide,
Your plane is the Mini. It looks like yours came with a glass fuse and therefore is a later version. The airfoil on yours looks the same as does the size and shape of the tail group. Seeing your 2servo wing has convinced me to do the same. I will not be using a rudder. Very cool little plane. I discus launch mine to test new spots.

Brett,
Yes, that's the same wing you have seen at Kanan.

Chris,
All I remember is that the kit was from K&A models. K&A also made a stretched version called the Kamu.

Aaron
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:53 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Thanks,
At least I know what to call it now.

I hope that they made a new mould if they put the FG version on the market. The fuse I got (I can't complain - it was free ) did not fit together well. The whole top and bottom of the plane is made from bondo. One side was actually smaller than the other, like one side of the mould shrunk more than the other after they pulled the halves.

I am headed over to the K&A site now to see what I can find on it.

Cheers,
Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I had a mini 1 back in the day. All these years I thought they were called "mini eye".
I never got mine to fly very well with that swept back wing and lack of dihedral. Good to see it again though.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:16 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Well,
The old Mini took one for the team today. It was involved in a mid-air with a JW during a DS furball. I found almost all of the pieces.... Fortunately, the new Mini is almost finished so I will postpone the repair work until the new one is done.
Last edited by Aerogance; Nov 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Clasified
Old Dec 08, 2008, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2006
79 Posts
do you know where i can get the plans for this puppy. I would like to build one! Looks awesome!
dynamicviper is offline Find More Posts by dynamicviper
Old Dec 11, 2008, 07:56 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Cutting the wing core tonight, finally. I hope to have it ready for Weldon on Saturday. Gonna build heavy with a full-span steel spar and lots of ballast. Keeping true to the original design with the exception of the airfoil change and the slightly larger vertical stabilizer so its still a Mini.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:02 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicviper
do you know where i can get the plans for this puppy. I would like to build one! Looks awesome!
www.kamodels.com may be a good place to start
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:48 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Any time now...

Well,
Delay after delay but I am very close to getting this little bad boy in the air. Wing is sheeted and ready for ailerons to be cut/hinged and radio installed. Some pictures of it mocked up:
Old May 22, 2009, 12:18 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
The final stretch...

Some pics of the wing covered and servos installed. Ailerons are hinged and ready for control horns. I ran out of red covering so the wing is neon red and neon orange. She will need some nose lead to balance out and will be a few ounces heavier than the original. The thin RG-14 airfoil looks like a screamer.
Last edited by Aerogance; May 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,633 Posts
Punch list...

Was hoping to have her finished for a maiden tomorrow (Sunday) but it looks like I am short a few bits for the linkages. I repainted the fuse neon red and recovered the tail to match the new wing color. Check her out!