Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:19 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
My new toy: PIKE BRIO EXTREME!

Hi all,

Finally, it arrived! After some months waiting for it, Kevin took it to me. The meeting was in La Muela, Guadalajara, Spain:

It has the typicall colours of Spanish Eastern: white and purple:

It's the "Extreme" version, with double carbon layer, and 2 pieces V-tail. Look at that shining surface!

Alvaro Silgado is online now Find More Posts by Alvaro Silgado
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:20 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
I dedicated my holidays in Eastern to build it quickly to have time enough to make its first flight before the F3F International Open in La Muela. Building took me only two full-time days. I started with the electric stuff. I had the harness pre-made, but I had to re-make it, since the wires was touching the wing skin when placed.

From botton left: 5x1900 mAh cells battery, 6 volts limitter, switch, Multiplex Micro IPD receiver, 2 HS-225BB servos for the tail, 4 HS-125MG servos for the wing.

It seems I have to introduce all these wires, with silicon through this hole Impossible. The MG06 profile is toooooooo thin, and double carbon layer makes it thinner. I had to rebuild the wiring until it fitted perfectly without damaging the wing skin.

Big plane or small table (or both)?

Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:21 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
The solution for connecting and aligning conectors is impressive. It's almost impossible to do it wrong:

Fuse was ready in 4 hours. Wings had a little more effort...

Tail fits perfectly. I even need some force to pull it out:

Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:22 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
The servos goes fitted in frames. I bought the frames in http://servorahmen.de/servorahmen_de.html. Excelent quality and low price!

Neat covers!

Believe it or not, but I didn't need any ballast to level it. Lucky man! 2300 gr ready to fly.

I finished it two days before the International F3F Open in La Muela. Unfortunatelly, I couldn't fly it during these days (one with heavy rain and another without wind) So, I had to wait until 5 minutes before the Open starts to trim it. It was soooooo easy to fly that I deceided to use it in the Competition. I finished 21st of 50. No too bad for me!
Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:23 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Some photos taken from here: http://www.f3f.co.uk/knewt/comps/spain05/index.htm (thanks, Kevin!):

Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:23 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Some photos taken from here: http://lamuelaf3f.com/Galeria%20Open...nte/index.html (thanks, Puente!):

Finally, there's a video of it here.

I hope you like it!

Al.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 07:04 PM
Guillermo
Cádiz, Spain
Joined Nov 2003
82 Posts
Its a very pretty plane

I like your Pike! I hope you are the next F3F champion in Salamanca (Spain championship F3F)...I wish luck you!

See you

Pero con una evo, no se, no se...
caligulin is offline Find More Posts by caligulin
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:00 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Alvaro - that is a beautiful Pike! I have the MG06 foil on my Banana and have been very impressed with it. I am sure you will be even more happy with it on the big 3m ship. Downloading the video now.

Anton

[BTW - I don't know how much of a potential problem this may be but I have read mixed reports about the durability of the 125MG gears (particularly the output gear, I believe) when used for flaps on larger planes. You may want to be careful to switch off crow before reaching the ground during landings. It should be fine for aileron servos, though.]
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:23 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Excellent video! Nice choice of music, and I like the Pike halfpipes. "HalfPikes!"

Who manufactures that plane? The way the name is painted on the wing and the colors remind me of the Destiny.

-Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:46 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
¡Enhorabuena! Felicidades!

Very nice plane, enjoy! As Karras says, "In Spain we like F3F and then more F3F!!"

¡Órale!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2005, 09:29 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,769 Posts
Dungun

Samba.. Last I looked there was one all built at f3x.com In the consigned section.

Dan Field
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old Apr 02, 2005, 10:16 PM
Unreconstructed
Chickamauga, GA
Joined Jul 2004
234 Posts
Beautiful ship! Nice video too! David
207 is offline Find More Posts by 207
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:20 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonL
BTW - I don't know how much of a potential problem this may be but I have read mixed reports about the durability of the 125MG gears (particularly the output gear, I believe) when used for flaps on larger planes. You may want to be careful to switch off crow before reaching the ground during landings. It should be fine for aileron servos, though.]
Hi Anton,

I've been using these servos in my X'Race, and I'm very happy with them until now. Anyway, I always raise the flaps in the last second, because Spanish stones loves gliders flaps and they are always trying to kiss them

Thank you very much for the advice!
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:23 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulin
I like your Pike! I hope you are the next F3F champion in Salamanca (Spain championship F3F)...I wish luck you!

See you

Pero con una evo, no se, no se...
Guille, you have to try it with the new aileron settings I've been flying yesterdat. Just a 30% more of aileron and flaps travel. Woooooa!

I hope we will have wind enough next saturday!

Un abrazo,

Alvaro.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:25 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunqun
Excellent video! Nice choice of music, and I like the Pike halfpipes. "HalfPikes!"

Who manufactures that plane? The way the name is painted on the wing and the colors remind me of the Destiny.

-Duncan
Ha ha ha ha!! HalfPikes!!! I like it!

The manufacturer is Samba Models, you can find more information about it here: http://www.f3j.com/brio.htm

Thank you for your compliments,

Al.